Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie Port Wood Finish

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Balvenie Port Wood Finish

Postby Badmonkey » Sun May 01, 2005 7:14 am

Greetings, All,

I'm enjoying a brief stint in Taipei this week, and I was delighted to see that the local Costco is still pushing a few single malts at very reasonable prices. The latest addition that caught my eye is the Balvenie Port Wood Finish. I generally love Balvenie malts, but I haven't tried nor have I heard anything about this one. I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Cheers

Badmonkey has spoken
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun May 01, 2005 8:07 am

I tried the 1991 Port Wood Balvinnie once. It tasted like a sweeter, more full bodied version of the 10yr old. Definatly in the same vein in terms of taste. The port accentuates the flavour as opposed to taking over - like in the Glenmorangie finishes IMHO. I'm not saying I don't like the 'morangie finishes. I'm saying thier finishes taste different than the regular 10yr OB unlike the results with the Balvinnie. If you taste the 10yr Balvinnie HTH with the Portwood, you'll see the family resemblance.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tom » Sun May 01, 2005 9:14 am

the 21 is excellent Badmonkey. The port is the ideal addition for complexity, always present but never dominating, just in the background balancing with the typical Balvenie honey and vanilla flavors.
Its a sweet malt, well aged without the loss of character although it might seem a litlle mild and soft comparing to the 15 for example. i found it a great whisky with lots of complexity as is so common with port and whisky. Very well balanced too, with the typical honey and well matured oak right inthere with the port.
i tried the 1989 Port wood too but that one wasnt impressive at all, i think its young age was an disadvantage as the port was a bit dominating making the whisky very winey and a bit sharp. the 21 has none of that.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 02, 2005 5:26 am

I concur that the 21 is groovy and all that.

Frodo, Mr. Picky doesn't like to make a fuss over run-of-the-mill spelling errors, but he does wonder why you persist in the spelling "Balvinnie"...an homage, perhaps, to the Scottish cinema remake of My Cousin Balvinnie?
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Tue May 03, 2005 2:46 am

Sorry. Guilty as charged. :oops:
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 03, 2005 2:59 am

Ah, don't be sorry. Just curse me for an obsessive-compulsive anal-retentive pedant, like everyone else. 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 03, 2005 3:03 am

--Which, now that I look at it, can be abbreviated, appropriately enough, as O CARP.
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed May 04, 2005 7:28 am

Not to CARP on your comments Mr. T - but I see your O CARP and raise you the descriptor: Acronymisist ... Lord of TattieHeid - or:

O CARP A LOT :wink:

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed May 04, 2005 9:13 am

The 21 year Balvenie Portwood is awesome. I dont think you'll hear much people complaining at it, if there are even 1 at all.

Just finished a bottle here, wouldnt mind replacing it...
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Badmonkey » Tue May 10, 2005 4:51 pm

Many thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I broke down and purchased a bottle (it was the 1989 Port Wood, actually). Haven't cracked it open yet because I've been on the road, but in light of everyone's comments I think I have something to look forward to.

On deck right now is Green Spot.

Badmonkey has spoken
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Tom » Tue May 10, 2005 4:58 pm

Is it the vintage 1989, or the 21 with a vintage on it? sorry that i ask this but i didnt know the 21 has a vintage. The 1989 i sampled is much younger then 21, it was 13 Y old and IMHO uncompareble with the 21.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 10, 2005 5:19 pm

The 21yo vintage 1989 will not be available until 2010. :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Tom » Tue May 10, 2005 5:22 pm

LOL!point taken :?
Tom
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder