Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Grain Whisky

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Grain Whisky

Postby JimHall » Sun May 08, 2005 10:02 am

I have just bought a IB bottle of Grain Whisky (Carsebridge 25). I don't intend to open it becasue it has a sentimental meaning to me and is quite rare.
It made me start to think that I have never actually had a grain whisky (not that I know of anyway).
I do enjoy blends but unlike some I don't have the ability to identify the grain from the malt in each blend.
the questions are this.
(1) Can grains be quiality in terms of flavour?
(2) If it is not in The Whisky Bible where might i get tasting notes?
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Tom » Sun May 08, 2005 4:07 pm

Hello Jim,
1) Deffinatly yes! Grain (but more specific single grain) can be very very good. I only tried 2 so far, Invergordon 36Y old and Greenore 8Y old. Both were remarkeble and specially the Invergordon is marvellous, i spend more time nosing it then drinking, the aromas are superb. Also had some 'vatted-blended-whateveryoucallitnow grain, although they are good too i find single grain to be more to my liking, they are a tad bit more robust.
as for your second question, i dont know, sorry, i often ask the sellers for their opinions and often they give me a sample before i buy.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby robs42 » Sun May 08, 2005 6:10 pm

Old grain whisky from a good cask can be really superb, usually with a fair meatiness too them. You've picked out a really good one with that Carsebridge (I assume it's the recent Duncan Taylor bottling) - it has a rich oakiness and velvety quality to it, fruity (raisins) and dry. I didn't take notes, but here's notes from Whiskyfun:

Very waxy, on vanilla, rum, raisins and burnt cake. Not extremely complex but very satisfying and totally flawless. Hints of fructose, fresh pineapple that add some extra-balance to it. Superb!

It's a shame you don't intend to open it, but I guess at over £70 you're not going to buy two.
robs42

Postby JimHall » Mon May 09, 2005 6:00 am

My house is situated within the old distillery which is still owned by Diageo but was closed 1983 and dismantled 1988. I grew up next to it as well so that is where the sentiment comes in. Great to hear that you consider it a good choice though. Who knows I might just have to open it for a special occassion one of these days. You were right about the Duncan Taylor bottling although the cheiftain 42YO is probably a better whisky and the bottle looks good I simply could not justify the cost.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 10, 2005 12:01 pm

You could get a miniature of Carsebridge if you want to taste it:

http://www.singlemaltsdirect.com/acatal ... 32901.html
Deactivated Member

Postby JimHall » Tue May 10, 2005 2:02 pm

Thanks for that Nick hadn't actually considered that....... normally don't like minis but that is a great idea in this case.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:46 pm

I tried a Carsebridge Rarest of the Rare at Whiskyfringe and was very impressed. It was a little bourbonny with sweetish vanilla notes, but then exploded into dried fruit and coconuts. Absolutely fantastic - don't bother with a miniature, get a second full bottle for drinking.
Deactivated Member

Postby JimHall » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:45 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I tried a Carsebridge Rarest of the Rare at Whiskyfringe and was very impressed. It was a little bourbonny with sweetish vanilla notes, but then exploded into dried fruit and coconuts. Absolutely fantastic - don't bother with a miniature, get a second full bottle for drinking.

Thanks for that Nick.... i might need to work on the wife to convince her that I need a second bottle.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Re: Grain Whisky

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:47 pm

JimHall wrote:(1) Can grains be quiality in terms of flavour?

Cameron Brig is excellent and I've had some good indie bottlings of Invergordon and North British.

JimHall wrote:(2) If it is not in The Whisky Bible where might i get tasting notes?

Try Jim Murray's 'Classic Blended Scotch'.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder