Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Next step from Bowmore 12?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Bowmore 12 Years Old

Next step from Bowmore 12?

Postby Rimjim » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:44 am

Morning all,

I'm fairly new to whisky and for the last year have been trying everything I can get my hands on. I really enjoyed the sweet peat of the Bowmore 12 and want to explore more whiskies with a similar taste profile.

Any recommendations for whiskies Bowmore or other which I could try?

Cheers!

Rimjim
Rimjim

Re: Next step from Bowmore 12?

Postby Benbrownri » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:00 am

I like Bowmore 12 for its balance of sweetness and woodsmoke. If you are looking for something with a similarly mild peat element, you may like the Highland Park line, e.g. the 12 yo. There are also some great HP independent bottlings, such as The Macphail's Collection 8 yo HP (available from Binny's in the US) which retains the typical HP heather honey sweetness with a mild woodsmoke aspect. For a step up in peat, try Laphroaig Quarter Cask (bourbon and malt sweetness with an intense, maritime, medicinal peat backbone). Enjoy!
Benbrownri

Postby Ganga » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:56 am

Long time whisky fan and Bow fan. Bow really is its own entity. I get wood smoke instead of peat and/or peat smoke. Also, I identify lavender and/or rose petals in young Bowmore. In some cases, you might start to note grapefruit, especially the post 2000 distillate.

I would suggest Talisker as a next step. HP is typically sherry so will be quite different from Bowmore. Another is to go to Pulteney as it has that briney sea influence that you can find in Bowmore.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Rimjim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks for the recommendations :thumbsup:

I've picked up a Laphroaig QC and a Pulteney 12. Both very different from each other but with elements of the Bowmore taken in different directions. The Laphroaig is sweeter than I was expecting but still with a lot of peat, the Pulteney was a bit more refreshing with a great spiciness to it.

Cheers!
Rimjim

Postby whiskgeek » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:09 am

I would also point you in the direction of Highland Park. Its peat has an herbal expression along the line of Bowmore, IMO. But if you like Bowmore, you'll probably like most peaty whiskies. :-)
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby o2o » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:44 am

I took up one of the recommendations and tried Old Pultney for the first time - thoroughly enjoyed it. thanks.
o2o

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Rimjim wrote:Any recommendations for whiskies Bowmore or other which I could try?

I'm glad you're enjoying the Old Pulteney. It surely is a very drinkable whisky! :thumbsup:

In the case of Bowmore, though, you may want to keep an eye open for the Tempest 10 Year Old releases (currently, Batch No. IV). Bottled at cask strength after maturation in 1st-fill ex-Bourbon casks, Tempest offers up a lot of sweetness and vanilla-toffee to go along with the relatively subdued smokiness.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby o2o » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:21 pm

I took your advice as well, the old pulteney was good. Fingers crossed I get a nice bottle for xmas.
o2o

Postby Ganga » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:23 am

Glad to hear that you enjoy the OP. And here's to hoping for Xmas drams.... :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Related whiskies : Bowmore 12 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder