Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

JAPANESE WHISKY

All your whisky related questions answered here.

JAPANESE WHISKY

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 29, 2005 6:26 pm

Although I've sampled much Scottish, Irish and American
whisk(e)y, I've yet to try anything at all from Japan. No particular reason, just never right time and right shop.

I've heard that Yiochi is the best that there is. But am afraid that its expressions might be a bit too 'peaty', 'salty' and 'medicinal' for my taste.

What are other people's general impressions (nothing too specific) of malt from Japan please?
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun May 29, 2005 6:35 pm

I like Japanese whisky, I've not had huge experience with it in general but have tired a number of blends and single malts. They have been of good quality and value. If I ever see another bottling in these parts I'll buy it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sun May 29, 2005 7:40 pm

I tried some Japanese whisky at the London Whisky Live - it was the only one that I poured away!!!!

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon May 30, 2005 4:04 am

I don't think it's possible to make a broad, all-encompassing statement that Japanese whisky is { insert description here}.

Some are great, others are bad, and there's the full range in between.

It's probably worth mentioning that the Japanese modelled their production methods very much on what the Scots were doing, and they certainly try to emulate scotch in all its glory.

So there is something for everyone's taste.....light, fragrant / heavy, peaty, etc, etc.

From what I've been able to ascertain, almost any single malt out of Yamazaki or Yoichi gets good reviews.

My only observation, at least in this part of the world, is that Japanese whisky is very, very expensive. (i.e. $130 for 10 year old blends???!!)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Mon May 30, 2005 6:06 am

I have tried Japanes whisky one (Suntory 17) and was suitably underwhelmed. I am unlikely to put it in my shopping cart for a while.

Resembled a speysider but lacked any bite whatsoever. Further, I detected what I think others in the forum refer to as FWP 8)

Single malts have got to be scotch.
bond
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 30, 2005 7:50 am

Paging Ed.... Ed, please report to the lobby.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 30, 2005 10:50 am

Why have single malts got to be Scotch?

And what does 'FWP' mean please?
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Mon May 30, 2005 12:14 pm

bond wrote:I have tried Japanes whisky one (Suntory 17) and was suitably underwhelmed. I am unlikely to put it in my shopping cart for a while.

Resembled a speysider but lacked any bite whatsoever. Further, I detected what I think others in the forum refer to as FWP 8)

Single malts have got to be scotch.

I think it might have been Whisky Magazine, but there was a blind tasting amongst experts, and Japanese whiskey came out as the top malt.

Japanse whiskey is just as likely to be good as scotch is. I don't know much about it, though.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon May 30, 2005 6:33 pm

eelbrook wrote:Why have single malts got to be Scotch?

And what does 'FWP' mean please?

1) They don't. Check out some Irish ones. Different but coming from a tradition all it's own.

2) "FWP" stands for French Whore's Perfume". Please see the thread on Bowmore for a further explanation on this (Admiral started an exellent thread on this).

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tartan » Tue May 31, 2005 3:20 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Paging Ed.... Ed, please report to the lobby.

If I'm not mistaken, Ed should be either on his way to, or already in the U.S. now.
Tartan

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 31, 2005 3:31 am

Tartan wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Paging Ed.... Ed, please report to the lobby.

If I'm not mistaken, Ed should be either on his way to, or already in the U.S. now.

Oh geez...I didn't mean literally!
Deactivated Member

Postby Tom » Tue May 31, 2005 5:45 pm

Unfortunatly i only had 1 Japanese whisky and it was a blend.
Mind you, the scottish blenders could learn a thing or two of that particular blend. It was Rare old Super Nikka. i loved it all the way but unfortunatly its unavaileble here.
Tom
Gold Member

Japanese whisky

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:24 am

For value, I recommend Yoichi 10.

If you are willing to spend more, then Hibiki 17 Non-chill Filtered is the ticket.

Suntory's Vintage Malt series has some real gems as well, but you really must pay a premium for them.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby bond » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:35 am

Interesting. I am doing a piece for a magazine on the "Best Non Scotch Whiskies". Plan to feature 3-4 malts/blends.

Any thoughts?
bond
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder