Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

CROFTENGEA - YUK !

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

CROFTENGEA - YUK !

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:21 pm

Just sampled Croftengea (the highly peated Loch Lomond variant) for the first time at SMWS, London. It was a cask strength 11 year old.

When it was first poured, the pungent nose hit you like a sledgehammer even from several feet away.

Both neat and with water, I found the taste utterly disgusting. Can't really find the words to describe it adequately.

However, several hours later, I'm left with a strangely hypnotic and moreish afterstate of peat. Can I be hankering after another dram. No, too ghastly.
Deactivated Member

Postby andrewfenton » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:24 pm

Ever tried Loch Dhu? Now that's what I call a repulsive whisky......

(strangely enough, other Mannochmores can be quite good)
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:54 pm

I wonder what Captain Haddock would say to this?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:56 pm

Billions of blistering blue barnacles in a thundering typhoon!
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:06 am

:D

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:09 am

Eelbrook,

Just to put your reaction in context, do you like other heavily peated whiskies? Or was this one just way off the mark?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:14 am

I've tried 3 of the SMWS Croftengeas and found them an ok Dram , very Islayish but not quite there . mind you i love a peated dram.....

As for the Loch Don't , now there is an awful dram !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:39 pm

Admiral

I'll freely confess to not being a fan of the Islays like Caol Ila and Laphroaig, although I am quite partial to a hand-warmed dram of Ledaig and can tolerate Longrow.

But Croftengea was in a class of its own. I decided to sample it just because its so seldom bottled as a single. Just as well!
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:43 pm

Hmmm i would consider the Caol Ila, Laphraog and Ardbeg to be more drinkable than anything from Tobermory or Springbank. I guess we all must remember that "orchids are Greek testicles".
Ardaíonn ár ngrá muid féin níos airde i gcónaí!
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:21 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:As for the Loch Don't

Interestingly, in Gaidhlig, Loch Dhu would be pronounced "Loch Goo". Rather appropriate, really.

(I don't know whether loch is masculine or feminine: if it is the former, then the d wouldn't aspirate and the "h" shouldn't be there at all).
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:42 pm

I have nothing of importance to add however I've been away for 10 days and am really enjoying reading all your comments. It's particularly nice to see Tintin and team make the occasional appearance on the site. :)
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby bernstein » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:05 pm

Welcome home!
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:12 pm

Hi there,

just for curiositys sake, probably your curiosity that is, I would like to add my experience with the little brother of Croftengea, the Inchmoan to the discussion. For the Whisky Fair 2005 Limburg, Germany the were two casks with the numbers 646 and 647 bottled at about 55% vol. At the Whisky Fair there was surprisingly one other bottling of the Inchmoan. Believe it or not, this was cask number 645, bottled straight from the cask at 63,5% vol. If you do know the Inchmurrin or the Old Rhosdu then you might know what to expext out of Loch Lomonds pot stills. Light, floral and fruity in the nose with just the tiniest hint of peat and smoke it goes down very well as a sweet, medium bodied yet rather oily whisky which does not tell on his calling as a peated blending whisky at all. But the moment it reaches your stomach this whisky hits you in the neck with a hammer of peat. Add some water and you see this oily malt actually crawling up the side of the glass. When I bought the bottle another costumer next to me exclaimed 'This tastes like old shoes - but I love it.' It is a curiosity, not a Curiositas, mind you and it is always interesting to sample. The bottler of this cask of Inchmoan was the Weiser company of Heppenheim, Germany who were at the Whisky Fair with a stand of their range of whiskies. Private bottlings and a range of finishings they do themselves seems to be a hobby with them. They internet address is http://www.getraenkewelt-weiser.de if you want to have a look.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:36 pm

andrewfenton wrote:Ever tried Loch Dhu? Now that's what I call a repulsive whisky......

(strangely enough, other Mannochmores can be quite good)

Inflicted that crap on my taste buds a couple of weeks ago at a tasting...combine the worst elements of licorice, cough syrup, and kerosene, and that's what it tasted like! :shock:

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:16 pm

Hi there,

personal taste is an expression of individuality. And a good thing, too.

Greetings

kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder