Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Proper (or slang) name for a Scotch Whisky expert?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Proper (or slang) name for a Scotch Whisky expert?

Postby jdubya » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:31 pm

I'm working on a school project.

A fine wine expert is a Sommelier. Is there an equivalent name or designation for a Scotch expert/afficionado?
jdubya

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:38 pm

Hi Dubya!
Although a sommelier must be a wine expert his title is a working title. A sommelier is a wine waiter in top restaurants. First you order food and then the sommelier arrives to guide you or recomend what goes with what!

There isn't really any names per se for what you ask for apart from general terms like (you mentioned) afficionado, connoiceur, feinschmecker etc.

Good luck with your project - and since you'r going to school I won't tempt you into whisky drinking! In a few years though.....

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:46 pm

Whisky experts seem to be called "whisky experts". I'm sorry that isn't terribly helpful but there doesn't seem to be a specific term. Most highly regarded experts are also writers of tasting notes though "tasting note writer" is not an official term either.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:18 pm

Well, I recently herd that the word "footnote writer" is gaining in popularity. The word spreads from mouth to foot - although it has little to do with foot & mouth disease! Is Mr Picky around?

Sorry - this is called spamming I believe but I'm soon to reach the critical point of 400 posts. Most of them even worse than this very post!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:42 pm

"Feinschmecker"!?! You take that back!

Actually, I quite like that word, and will begin using it to describe myself forthwith. My business card:

----------------Mr Tattie Heid----------------

Bon Vivant--Ne'er-Do-Well--Feinschmecker

I once wanted to start a beer appreciation club called Malt Barley and the Alers. But that's quite another question.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:43 pm

How come we never got projects involving Scotch when we were in school???

Dub...the rest of the guys are correct. Even the pros have trouble describing themselves as anything other that "whisky writers" or "whisky experts". Sommeliers generally have to pass some form of certification program, but as far as I know, there's nothing like that in the whisky world...yet...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:55 pm

After passing your certification wouldn't you be a distiller?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:17 pm

Only if you make it...not if you're just a know-it-all like us... ;)
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:57 pm

In Ireland, they'd be called "chancers"
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:40 pm

Well, hey. Wine lovers are called "oenophiles". Why not "uisgeophile" or "usquophile"?
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:44 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Well, hey. Wine lovers are called "oenophiles". Why not "uisgeophile" or "usquophile"?

Works for me...wonder if that's a skill I can put on my resume?

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby JimHall » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:48 pm

My friends at "World of Whiskies " are known as "Whisky Consultants".
It does seem a shame that there is no term to use for experts or would-be-experts.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby JimHall » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:50 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Well, hey. Wine lovers are called "oenophiles". Why not "uisgeophile" or "usquophile"?

Sorry but that sounds to much like pedophile.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:15 pm

JimHall wrote:

Sorry but that sounds to much like pedophile.

Not at all! The "phile" suffix is very commonly used to mean "--- lover", as in Anglophile or, as I cited, oenophile. Of course, there are pedophiles and necrophiles; after all, "love" itself is often enough a euphemism for more sordid activity. But it's the first part of the word that matters; saying it sounds too much like "pedophile" is like saying "wine lover" sounds too much like "war lover".

The more I think about it, the more I like my coinage. It's going on my business card right after "Feinschmecker".
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:18 pm

Feinschmecker & Usquophile...sounds like a law firm...
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:36 pm

Might i suggest uisgeologist or usquologist. That would be a person with a PHD ( Piled Higher and Deeper ) in whisky making and vintages.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:46 pm

usquologist

See that reminds me of urulogist and they make me nervous!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:46 pm

A pisstatologist? Maybe not . . .
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:48 pm

Now - what do pistachio-nuts have to do with it???
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby JimHall » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:15 pm

Tattieheid
I get the feeling you are taking me a bit too seriously.

In any case, the question is about Expert not about Lover. Therefore a wine expert would be an enologist not an oenophile.
Don't you then think that "uisgeologist" would be better than "uisgeophile" on your business card ???
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:15 am

:roll: Well, even I can be humorless occasionally. Seriously.

The question was "Is there an equivalent name or designation for a Scotch expert/afficionado?" I would think that an uisgeologist would need academic or professional credentials, which I certainly lack. I just drink the stuff. Ergo, uisgeophile. An avocation, not a vocation. I need a vacation.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:01 am

MrTattieHeid wrote::roll: Well, even I can be humorless occasionally. Seriously.

The question was "Is there an equivalent name or designation for a Scotch expert/afficionado?" I would think that an uisgeologist would need academic or professional credentials, which I certainly lack. I just drink the stuff. Ergo, uisgeophile. An avocation, not a vocation. I need a vacation.

I agree...uisgeologist implies serious credentials and professional expertise, while uisgeophile addresses the more amateur love we share for whisky...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:23 am

Australians have a general tendency to view qualifications and titles with a laidback indifference.

I suspect anyone around these parts who called himself a whisky expert would probably be given the title "Wanker". :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:01 am

No reference to the word wanker in Webster's unabridged. There is however," wankle"(from british dialogue) meaning: weak, unstable; not to be depended on, no doubt wanker's origin. In Canada wanker has more the connotation of labeling someone as a cry-baby.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:46 am

Hehe! I've always believed wankers were people doing things that would make them blind - and I'm not talking about drinking methanol! At least in the old days children were told to keep their hands out of their trousers - or else they would become blind.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Crispy Critter » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:05 am

On fark.com, that activity is known as "killing kittens." :oops:
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:34 am

Well, we've certainly broadened our range of topics of late. Poor jdubya; asks a simple question.... Do you suppose he'll ever make a second post? I bet he's long out of here.

Back in the days when CDs came in cardboard longboxes, I used to amuse myself by cutting out the letters of the titles and rearranging them. "Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe" ( :oops: ) became "And Four Wankers Who Bore Me & Dan ". Or, without the &, "Four Wanks Who Meander And Bore". I wonder if those guys drink whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby bernstein » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:24 am

jdubya wrote:Is there an equivalent name or designation for a Scotch expert/afficionado?

May I respectfully suggest "Andrew, Lawrence, Mark, Bruce, Iain, Christian, Wendy, Ed, Harry, Aidan, Jim, Tom, Paul, Frodo, Lex, Patrick, Revilo, Jeroen, richard........"
:wink:
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:06 am

Well, that will certainly pad the page count of the report.

jdubya, if you're still out there, here's what you need to write:

What shall we call a whisky enthusiast? A poster to the whisky forums who calls himself Mr Tattie Heid, noting that a wine lover is called an oenophile, suggests "uisgeophile", from the Scottish Gaelic uisge beatha; or "usquophile", from the Irish equivalent usquebaugh--the terms from which the word "whisky" (or "whiskey") is derived. These terms are translations of the Latin aqua vitae, or "water of life", which originally referred to any distilled spirit. The other wankers on the forum responded with idiotic irrelevancies etc.

No charge.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:19 am

:D hehe, I just read through this thread and have to say it's quite amusing.

Good night!

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:52 am

On second thought "wankers" will do just fine.
Deactivated Member

Postby bernstein » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:56 am

:lol: :lol:
Hey, Mr T, what the hell did you drink last night???
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:36 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Well, that will certainly pad the page count of the report.

Especially if written in large bold-face type! Wish computers had been around when I was still writing term papers...couldn't change the font size on the old typewriter...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:39 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Well, that will certainly pad the page count of the report.

jdubya, if you're still out there, here's what you need to write:

What shall we call a whisky enthusiast? A poster to the whisky forums who calls himself Mr Tattie Heid, noting that a wine lover is called an oenophile, suggests "uisgeophile", from the Scottish Gaelic uisge beatha; or "usquophile", from the Irish equivalent usquebaugh--the terms from which the word "whisky" (or "whiskey") is derived. These terms are translations of the Latin aqua vitae, or "water of life", which originally referred to any distilled spirit. The other wankers on the forum responded with idiotic irrelevancies etc.

No charge.

Dub, take his advice for what it's worth! ;)

One of the irrelevant irreverent wankers...
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:41 pm

bernstein wrote:
jdubya wrote:Is there an equivalent name or designation for a Scotch expert/afficionado?

May I respectfully suggest "Andrew, Lawrence, Mark, Bruce, Iain, Christian, Wendy, Ed, Harry, Aidan, Jim, Tom, Paul, Frodo, Lex, Patrick, Revilo, Jeroen, richard........"
:wink:

Bernie, thanks...but you shouldn't be so modest...Dub, if you're crazy enough to take his suggestion, please make sure you include our buddy Bernie as well...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder