Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Inishowen Irish Whiskey?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Inishowen Irish Whiskey?

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:48 am

A new product on the LCBO shelves caught my eye, just the other day, Inishowen (lightly-peated) Irish Whiskey. It's in a 700ml bottle and is available for $32.50cdn, which definately piqued my frugal-bone, as i am always in the market for an inexpensive peat-fix. I'd 've scooped-up a bottle just because it's from Cooley's, but i was at my limited limit. Next time for sure regardless, but meanwhile curious if anyone has knowledge of it. Perhaps, Aidan maybe. Go raibh míle maith agat.

Ardaíonn ár ngrá muid féin níos airde i gcónaí!
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:59 am

Innisowen is ok. It's like a Scottish blend. I think Cooley's standard whiskeys are getting better each year as their stock ages. I think they've changed the recipe since I tasted it last. Is maith an t'anlann an t'ocras, as they say.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:10 am

I tried this a while ago at the Tasting Tower. I was not impressed at it's price point. As for taste, I didn't find it very peaty, otherwise a bit above average in the taste department. And at C$33/bottle, I would much rather spend C$35-37 on Redbrest or wait until LTO's hit Jameson 12 down to C$32 from C$37.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:28 pm

Hi Frodo:
You're absolutely right-on, a second look at the label with my glasses on revealed the word "blend" and that put an end to it.
I would rather not buy a blend, no matter how inexpensive it would be sure to disappoint. My interest shifted toward a bottle of the Century Reserve 21yr old rye, but couldn't locate a bottle without asking staff and had no time for that action. Wonder if one could sample that in the Tasting Tower? What time does that Tower close at on Sunday?
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:10 am

Hi Lord P:

1) If you haven't opened the Innishowen, you can still return it. LCBO will accept anything that is saleable. If you still have the recipt, then you can get a refund - if you lost the recipt, then you can exchange it (ie. for Century Reserve?).

2) Century Reserve 21yr old can be found at the Yonge & Summerhill store (last time I looked).

3)Tasting Tower closes on sundays at 5pm. I aim to pop in on Sunday between 3:30 - 4:30pm. I'll have on a green T-Shirt, so say hi if you see me. Looking forward to tasting Blanton's, and 22yr old Rosebank (CS).

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:34 am

Lord_Pfaffin wrote:...I would rather not buy a blend, no matter how inexpensive it would be sure to disappoint. My interest shifted toward a bottle of the Century Reserve 21yr old rye...

An interesting concept, one that has been debated on these pages on and off for a while. For me, blends tend to be better buy below a certain price point (C$40) at the LCBO. Below this you can get the McClelland's 5yr old series, or Glen Parker (my all-time worst choice), neither of which got me going.

Balvinie 10yr (C$40) isn't bad and Abelour is about the same price, but at this price point, I might go for a blend such as JW Black. If you haven't tried this blend I'd suggest you try a 200ml bottle. It's gotten wonderful reviews, and although it's not my cup of tea, it's obviously well made. Irish whiskies (Jameson 12, and Blackbush) although blends, beat out some single malts IMHO.

Probably the most interesting house blend whisky I've tried is Kilbeggan - too bad it's only brought in once in a while through the vintages program. If you really don't like blends, then fair play to you. My point is that there are a lot of blends to try, and some of them may speak to you if given a chance. JW Gold seems to have a cult following, and deservedly so.

By-the-by, I thought you should know that the Century Reserve 21yr that you're considering is a blend.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:44 pm

I can put up with a blended rye as the difference is minimalized with rye. I haven't as yet tasted a blended scotch that has affected me in any significant manor other than the rare Kilbaggan, or the overpriced Cambeltown Loch 25 and both of which i would score signifacantly lower than any of my favorite singles.
Fisrt time at the Tower 4pm Sunday. I guess i missed you. Unfrotunately it's not a place to linger with no seats and a two taste limit (bummer!) so i only stuck around for 15 minutes or so. Not too fond of the glass that they presented either but it did the trick. In chatting-up the hostess i forgot to ask the duration of her shift or if she gets relieved for lunch-break, which could posibly extend the two tastes into four. :wink: Just wasn't on my game, must've been the heat or all that good sappins. :)
If i could only learn to walk out of that store empty handed, i'm sure i'd be more inclined to visit for a taste at the Tower more often.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:41 pm

Sorry I missed you lord P. I was there about 3:30 or so. You might consider Tea Beg at about C$35 or so. Nice soft dram, buy not much smoke, and nothing too challanging. BTW, did you pick up the Century Reserve 21 at the store? I did see some stock at the Younge & Summerhill location.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:14 pm

Hi Frodo:
I would've been there at 3:30pm had i known before i set out about the blockages on Yonge St at Lawrence, Eglinton and St.Clair aves, as i am north of hogs hollow in North York.
Walked out of the store with a bit of a mystery, a Signatory bottling of an unmentioned 5yr old Islay that i've raved about in the "What are you drinking now?" thread of late.
I was contemplating buying a bottle of the Dun Bheagan 8, as i understand it comes from Lagavulin distillery. Any notes on the Dun Bheagan Frodo?
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:30 am

I would rather not buy a blend, no matter how inexpensive it would be sure to disappoint.

When I first read that, I thought, "that's sure to fire up a few people and bring forth accusations of malt snobbery!".

Then I realised that my feelings on the matter are in total agreeance with yours! :)

JW Gold does seem to be developing a following, but the Diageo marketing arm seems hell-bent on forcing everyone to drink it frozen now. :?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:07 am

Lord_Pfaffin wrote:Hi Frodo:...
I was contemplating buying a bottle of the Dun Bheagan 8, as i understand it comes from Lagavulin distillery. Any notes on the Dun Bheagan Frodo?

I liked it alot at it's price point (C$43). A BIG whack of smoke. A bit spirity, but for C$43, well, I can understand. Mr T-H had a bad reaction to it though. Said it tasted "sulphered" or something. I like it, and I would buy it, but I'd be reluctant to recommend it to anyone due to it's youth.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:19 am

Frodo:
Smokey is good, spirity is not, yet it is 43%abv, which does leave a bit of room for some water to subtract from the spiritiness. What the heck at $43cdn it's worth a try.
Thanks
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:19 am

Frodo wrote:
Lord_Pfaffin wrote:Hi Frodo:...

I liked it alot at it's price point (C$43). A BIG whack of smoke. A bit spirity, but for C$43, well, I can understand. Mr T-H had a bad reaction to it though. Said it tasted "sulphered" or something.

Your memory is far better than mine, Frodo--I had entirely forgotten that I'd tasted that. Come to think of it, my criticism of it was that it was indeed forgettable, which I then set out to prove. Had to search for my own comments (keyword "hobbitual"):

Dun Bheagan 8yo Islay: Had to rush it, as the TT was closing, but found it disappointing. Couldn't really guess which Islay it is and don't really care. Not bad but not really interesting.

Don't think I said "sulphured", but technically you are correct, as I most certainly did say something.
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:01 pm

Mr T-H:

I think you said sulphered when you tried it. I know I was curious to see what you thought of it because I really liked it at it's price point.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder