Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Anybody Attending Whisky Live Paris?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Anybody Attending Whisky Live Paris?

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:49 am

Is anybody going to be there on September 25th? I'll be there and it would be nice to meet some other forum users.

Admiral, how about it?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:40 am

I'll be in Shetland, perusing the empty lot where Blackwood purports to be.
Deactivated Member

Postby JimHall » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:06 pm

That's interesting Tattieheid . Surely not the main reason for you going there is it?

Would love to be at Whisky Live Paris but I can't make it. I love Paris and therefore it is sure to be a great event ... I'm jelous.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:29 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I'll be in Shetland, perusing the empty lot where Blackwood purports to be.

Why would they call a distillery in Shetland "Blackwood" when there are no trees there?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:34 pm

There is a little patch of trees, an acre or so at most, on either side of the road at Weisdale. Whenever I drove through it, I thought of it as the Shetland Forest. :lol:

No, surely not the main reason; archaeology, history, and geography drive my holidays far more than whisky. But as mentioned elsewhere, I'm going to spend three nights at Craigellachie, and also four in Islay. "Geography" covers a lot of turf!

Why "Blackwood" indeed? Even the driftwood is bleached white. Anyway, given their slow progress and lack of news on their website, it's pretty hard at this point to take them seriously as whisky distillers. Here's hoping they eventually get it together.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:46 pm

Is the area above the tree line? If it is not then there would have once been a forest and it was most likely cut down in the ancient past for fuel.

Tattiehead if you plans change and you can make Paris let me know, it would nice to meet up at WL.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:54 pm

No, it's on the floor of the valley, and it's plainly a plantation. Not sure what kind of trees, all the same, smooth grayish/whitish bark, as I recall. Will take a photo this year. :)

Thanks for the invite--I'd love to go, my only experience of Paris is CDG airport, which I despised and cursed, after which the terminal collapsed. Sorry about that! But my plans are set.

Reproduced from Ordnance Survey map data by permission of Ordnance Survey, © Crown copyright

Note "Springfield" near top of map--one of at least three in Shetland alone! D'oh!
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:43 pm

Sorry about that! But my plans are set.

Well maybe it's for the best considering your #@$% potty mouth! :wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:25 pm

It's my potty and I'll cry if I want to.
Deactivated Member

Postby bernstein » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:00 am

There's some further delay in the construction of Blackwood Distillery
"because of red tape and problems with the site"
http://business.scotsman.com/topics.cfm ... 1739252005

The first 10yo Shetland Malt won't be released before 2016...
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Blackwood » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:52 pm

Well, there's at least one question I can answer. The company is known as Blackwood because that's my family name, although I agree there's not many trees on Shetland, let alone a wood of any colour !

As to websites, we presently have two : shetlandwhisky.com and blackwooddistillers.com. We're reworking the first one, and if anybody wants updates on the company, please pop into the second one. You'll find the range of (non whisky) drinks that we currently sell. In that regard, HM Govt's "Food from Britain" campaign gave the company two awards recently - Scottish Exporter of the Year 2004 and New British Exporter of the Year 2004.

And Mr Tattieheid, we don't "purport" to be on any site. We have planning permission for our distillery site in Nesting and recently put out invitations to contractors for the build. But next time you are in Shetland, please do drop into our existing office in Nesting. Its just across the road from the distillery site, so I'm sorry you missed us on your visit back in July.

Regards to all. Clive Blackwood.
Blackwood

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:21 pm

Thank you so much for checking in here! And please forgive my snideness--it's just that progress seems to have been slow, and there has been so little information available. I have checked in occasionally on one of the websites you mention, and it wasn't updated for ages. I did see your gin and vodka everywhere during my trip in September and October--you seem to be doing very well with that. (If only you'd answered here in July or August, I'd have been very happy to visit.)

Best of luck to you--we all look forward to a dram of Blackwood malt somewhere down the road. Just remember, please, a little info now and then goes a long way!
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:40 am

Welcome aboard, Clive...don't be a stranger!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder