Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Postby Crispy Critter » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:35 am

I finally decided to open up my bottle of QC. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, given some rumblings about distillers sacrificing quality due to supply problems (see the Glenrothes Select Reserve thread in the Q&A forum). That being said, I had already noticed that QC was getting good reviews.

Well, I'd say that Laphroaig's small-cask experiment is a smashing success! There's a powerful wave of peat and iodine on the nose, and a smoky bonfire on the palate, with a nice, long finish that has a very subtle hint of Talisker-like pepper. This one's a keeper! Regardless of the overall supply situation, there's definitely no sacrifice of quality in this expression.

Next up will be some of the 10yo CS red-stripe version, to provide a benchmark for comparison. I've had it before and loved it, in any case...
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

QC vs. 10CS

Postby Crispy Critter » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:19 am

Now that I've finished the dram of QC, I've poured some of the 10CS. It seems ever-so-slightly different than the QC - but the family resemblance is most definitely there. The nose isn't quite as intense, but on the palate it still has that lovely smoky flavor, and a little bit more of the background pepper in the finish (due to the higher ABV?).

Which one to buy? Both. :)

Next up? Hmmm. Maybe some Connemara CS, just to round out the three-peat. :wink:
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:37 am

Hi Crispy,

I concur thoroughly with your findings....I posted similar thoughts recently under "Comparing Laphroaigs".

What impresses me so much is not just the
powerful wave of peat and iodine on the nose, and a smoky bonfire on the palate, with a nice, long finish

but the fact that it's all so beautifully balanced, integrated, smooth, and tasty. It would be easy to throw peat at a whisky and come out with a peat monster, but that doesn't guarantee that it will be a quality and enjoyable dram. Laphroaig have achieved this feat and achieved it well.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Re: Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:01 am

Crispy Critter wrote: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, given some rumblings about distillers sacrificing quality due to supply problems (see the Glenrothes Select Reserve thread in the Q&A forum).

Apologies if I was misunderstood on the Glenrothes thread. I didn't mean to say that some of the very young/no age statement whiskies were not good - I am sure some are very good indeed. I meant that they were created in order to overcome a supply problem rather than because distillers thought they would be an improvement over their existing range - despite what their marketing departments might say.
Deactivated Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:21 am

No problem... I can certainly agree that some creativity is needed to deal with supply issues. The QC hit the mark squarely, in any case.

This also makes me think that maybe Aberlour was a bit ahead of its time when they came out with A'Bunadh. Being a no-age-statement vatting, they have quite a bit of leeway in blending together different casks (and they've done a great job at it, I must add).
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:00 am

I'd be willing to bet that far more bottlings than most would think are the answers to the question "What can we do with what we have?", rather than "What's the ideal way to present our product?" Necessity is the mother of NAS CS bottlings and a multitude of finishes, and it's a tribute to the ingenuity of distillery managers and master blenders that they so often come up with something that we think is marvelous.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:08 am

Your comment is no doubt true, Mr T, but I'd like to think that there's a brain or two somewhere in the mix thinking, "What can we do that will make ours different (or better) than our competitors?"

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:48 am

Of course! And then, "How can we do it with what we have?"
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:40 am

They must find somewhere to get rid of all their dud casks, so they probably hide it in a big vatting. Of course, they could give them to blenders.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:13 pm

Yes, or finish them in wine casks for a bit to bring them up....
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby andrewfenton » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:20 pm

People get so cynical about NAS bottlings with weird names, but may I just say: Uigedail!

You can't really blame companies who vat young and old whiskies not wanting to label it "8yr old" or whatever - it simply wouldn't sell.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:05 pm

Hi there,

Lawrence you are a man after my own heart. I did not go so far to speak of "dud casks" when I spoke out against wine finishings, but I agree with you that some young whiskies find their way into wine barrels and are bottled NAS to prop them up. Not to say it is inferior whiky that faces that fate, but surely it is not the best out of a batch either. I see that the industry is in a dilemma. 1983 in the year of crisis it took a man with courage and visionary abilities to produce malt of quality in quantity when around him distilleries died by the dozen. How to convince the management that better times were to come - in 25 years! So today is a shortage of malts from the late 1970ies and early 1980ies, a complete peergroup of malts is missing desperately needed now to make good standard OBs. I perfectly understand the ironic situation that today there is sort of a boom in malts which might come to a aprupt end in a while because there is not enough malt of age and quality to sustain it and the quality level just has to be reduced. I will not let the industry down but I will and can not buy just anything or everything to support her.
Cheers.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:51 pm

[quote]"What can we do that will make ours different (or better) than our competitors?"

My first reaction is : and ????

The ultimate goal is satisfaction, wether it is against competitor or themselves : I prefer the latter but in the end hope to enjoy the result !
and sofar the QS has been plenty of it !

On the other hand I have some ...profound questions ?... : why does "whisky" needs to be finished with ...."strawberry fiels ? :) "
No longer just sherry or oak, but côte du rhone, rum all kinds, meursault, what's next ???
Shouldn't the essential of WHISKY be respected ?

Maybe a be old fashioned, but "coca cola" could give some effect too : is ot that we are waiting for ?

P.S. "coca cola" to be replaced by "whatever"....

P.P.S. just starting - don't mean to hurt ....
Lucky Luke

Postby Aidan » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:09 pm

My hiatus hernia means I get to experience a lot of different finishes.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:28 am

Aidan wrote:My hiatus hernia means I get to experience a lot of different finishes.

Ow! I feel your pain.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:57 am

Yes, whiskey isn't recommended for a scorched oesophagus, but I'll soldier on.
Aidan

Postby MGillespie » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:05 am

Good man! Remember, you're drinking it for medicinal purposes...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:18 am

Yeah, I'm drinking it so I'll forget I need medical attention.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:57 am

I have a hiatus hernia so I know where you're coming from. The answer is Losec (generic name Omeprazole). It switches off the acid so no more heartburn.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:09 pm

Hi Nick

I take Pariet, which is the same thing, a proton pump inhibitor. This works very well, although I still have non-acidic reflux, so I will be getting an operation. It's a simple enough procedure these days.
Aidan

Anyone know rhe exact age of Laphroaig quarter cask?

Postby Mickeman » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:23 am

Anyone know the exact age of Laphroaig quarter cask?

I mean how long has it matured in a regular cask and how long in a quater cask?

Also are the quater casks used made from fresh wood or built from casks that have previouslu held bourbon?

Also are the two types of cask first, second or refill?
Mickeman

Postby Admiral » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:42 pm

Great question, and one I'd like to know the answer to as well.

This thread has gone a bit off-topic, so I've re-posted your question under a new thread, Mickeman. I suggest we adjourn to that location for the ensuing discussion.....

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm

According to WM Issue 42 and the orignal article by Dave Broom it's 60 months, 5 years standard vatting and then 7 months in the quarter cask.
Last edited by Lawrence on Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:13 pm

You must have been a math major, because only math majors do arithmetic like that!
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:40 pm

Thanks for catching that Tattiehied. No I have not bought the calendar but have bought some in the past, I'll check out the Laphroaig site.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Related whiskies : Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder