Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glengoyne

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glengoyne

Postby toshie » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:48 pm

The newly-formed Glasgow Malt Whisky Club has made its first outing - to Glengoyne Distillery a few miles from the city in beautiful rolling countryside.
For those who don’t know it, the distillery is neat and in a spectacular setting, with its own waterfall and woodland walks. More importantly, it serves some delicious drams!
Our first, welcoming glass was the standard 10-year-old, a light, eminently quaffable malt, followed by a much more complex and rounded 17-year-old. Before a tour of the distillery we sampled a 12-year-old cask strength which was light years away from the standard offering and was perceived by many of us as being the best of the day so far.
Better, far, far, better was to come. After the tour of this Highland distillery (it sits just inside the Highland Fault) we crossed the road to the warehouses where the ‘long sleep’ takes place – in the lowlands!
Perhaps this is why many regard Glengoyne as more typically lowland than Highland.
Back to the shop for a more leisurely tasting including a 21YO, a 31YO cask strength and an incredible 31YO single cask at 51.8%.
A newer addition to the range was the Glengoyne Limited Edition Scottish Oak Wood Finish (43% Alc./Vol). This 15-year old was a magnificent expression, and was the final dram of the day
A wonderful experience for our maiden voyage and for many the beginning of a long relationship with this fine distillery.
Last edited by toshie on Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:09 pm

A fine report, Toshie, thanks (although you might want to get out your editing ax :wink: ). I shall put Glengoyne on my ever-expanding list of places to visit.
Deactivated Member

Postby toshie » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:38 pm

Apologies Mr T. I think the 12-year-old cs gathered me in its warm embrace and gave me wings! :D It has now been edited to make some kind of sense!
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby andrewfenton » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:23 pm

For me, the 12 CS was also far superior to their other regular offerings - I was quite underwhelmed by the 21yr old in particular. If you can get old of it, the 19yr (aka "Summer") OB bottling is probably their best, but it does seem to be rapidly disappearing from sight :-(
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:25 pm

I'm thinking about getting the 17yo -- is it worth it? I like the 10yo. It is light but this time of year that's what I'm looking for. I hear the 17yo is better. Around here those are the only two available, unfortunately. Or I might just get another Rosebank... still deciding.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:33 pm

I only have the 17 yo, a much enjoyed dram. It is also "light", but I'm not sure how it compares to the 10 yo aside from reviews. I'm really hoping to see the Scottish Oak make it over here soon. The 12 C/S sounds great, too.

toshie, great review of the distillery, sounds like a very tranquil place to visit. Maybe my trip next spring will include it.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby toshie » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:52 pm

Jimi: I'm sure you'll love it. It is a lovely distillery in a magical setting. But bring your midge repellent. The midge eater installed by the distillery was itself eaten ... by mice!!!! Three of us on the trip bought the 17, Scottish Oak and 12C/S respectively, and raved about all three
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:30 pm

Will get the 17yo then, thanks for the responses.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:34 pm

toshie wrote:The midge eater installed by the distillery was itself eaten ... by mice!!!!

Oh, irony! That calls for a cat. :wink:
By the way - does anybody know anything about what going on at Glenturret's...

Harry, the 17yo is gorgeous - I'm enjoying every drop of it these days.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:37 pm

A fine report, Toshie, thanks (although you might want to get out your editing ax ).

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!!!! :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:40 pm

I really enjoy Glengoyne and it's more the pity since we can only buy the 10 year old and infrequently the 17. However I have managed to acquire a Scottish Oak and a CS 12 so I'm not doing too badly. I've not yet opened the last two and am happy to see the positive reports.

We visited the distillery a few years ago and it was our last on the trip, a fine way to end the adventure.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:46 pm

Lawrence wrote:
A fine report, Toshie, thanks (although you might want to get out your editing ax ).

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!!!! :D

Yeah, no kidding...but toshie's was a technical problem, not one of substance. Anyway, at least I don't repeat myself at least I don't repeat myself at least I don't repeat myself at least I don't repeat myself within a single post. Usually.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:49 pm

I did a vertical with the 10, 17, and 21 not long ago.

The 17 was the standout winner by a mile. Not just the best of the three, but a bloody good whisky that would have compared well against most other competition.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:47 am

Well, I bought the 17yo last night and cracked it open later in the evening. For first opening the nose is very interesting, lots of action going on. It will take me a few more nosings to try and pick up individual smells. The palate is lighter than the nose, quite smooth but the finish is a bit hot, hotter than I expected. Overall a very nice whisky, glad to have picked it up. I've never had the 21yo for comparison but I find it drier than the 10yo. The 10yo had lots of sweet apple notes -- I find a few of them in the 17yo but they are more muted, there are drier, spicier notes to go with it instead of the almost cloying sweetness of the ten. For that reason I think the 10 has a smoother finish than the hotter spice of the 17. As I said, I'll need a few more drams before I really know it well.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:32 pm

For Ontario Glengoyne enthusiasts, the 10yo and 17yo Glengoyne is now in the stores and through correspondence with Roderick at Ian Macleod I now know the 21yo will be available in November and the 12yo CS and 15yo Scottish Oak will arrive in December! I now know some of my Xmas wish list ;)

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:12 pm

I had the same reaction about the finish when I first opened the 17, but after this discussion I tried it again last night and it has mellowed quite a bit with a few weeks of breathing. Good to hear about the new Scottish oak timeframe, I've got an order in as soon as it's available. Christmas will indeed be a bountiful time for all. At least my wife will know what to get me this year. :)
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:45 pm

That's good news Harry, hopefully we too here in the West will see some new Glengoynes before Christmas. I am alway loath to open a bottle when I can't readily replace it. I've had my Scottish Oak and Cask Strenght sitting on the shelf for a while.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:49 pm

Funny thing is, the distillery directory CC'd the agent/importer here when I thanked him for getting some Glengoyne back on our shelves. I've been trying to get a hold of that agent for some time without success until today! After the CC he sent me a message of his own. Now I've had a conversation with him as well (he's also the importer/agent for Ardbeg). Always pays to communicate!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:20 pm

I recently sampled the 17yo for the first time and foun it to be excellent. The body could do with a little more weight though. The finish is pleasantly malty.

How much does this retail for in europe?
bond
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:39 pm

Agree with you wholeheartedly, Bond.

Not that it answers your question directly, but here it retails for around AUS$85, which is roughly 35 pounds.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:30 am

hpulley wrote:... Now I've had a conversation with him as well (he's also the importer/agent for Ardbeg). Always pays to communicate!

Harry

Harry! Ask him if we can get the Ardbeg Very Young or Serendipity at the LCBO any time soon...

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:39 pm

Frodo wrote:
hpulley wrote:... Now I've had a conversation with him as well (he's also the importer/agent for Ardbeg). Always pays to communicate!

Harry

Harry! Ask him if we can get the Ardbeg Very Young or Serendipity at the LCBO any time soon...

Frodo

I stumped for Uigeadail, LOTI and AVY but not Serendipity. Generally I just said, "import more Ardbeg!" so hopefully he'll comply. Nothing as imminent as the other Glengoynes, unfortunately but I'll let you know in advance if I hear anything.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder