Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Malt content %

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Malt content %

Postby OJlovedNicole » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:02 am

Hey guys its me again,

Simple question- What whiskys have the highest malt content in brands?
I genuinely am having alot of trouble finding this info, something i thought would be readily available.

An hours research has me at this;
Teachers Highland Cream WAS 45%, but new owners jim beam removed the high malt content. Someone posted it on danmurphys and sure enoug, they have removed the word malt from the bottle. May as well discontinue it.

Baillie Jarvie Nicol= 60%

Bushmans Black bush= 80% ALLEGEDLY (I HAVE DOUBTS)

Chivas Regal 12 YRs: 50%

Im on a quest for the maltiest of the maltiest (within reasonable $$) and believe the info is worth sharing for other enthusiasts.
OJlovedNicole

Re: Malt content %

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:22 pm

OJlovedNicole wrote:I'm on a quest for the maltiest of the maltiest (within reasonable $$) and believe the info is worth sharing for other enthusiasts.

Have you considered investigating some of the blended Scotch malt whiskies (all of which are produced 100% from malted barley) currently available in the marketplace? There are many fine ones out there, and a few of them are rather reasonably priced.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:14 pm

You didn't specify what kind of whiskies you were looking for. Are you strictly thinking in terms of blended Scotch whisky? TDD points out the blended Scotch malt whiskies that are 100%. I presume you are not thinking in terms of single malt Scotch whisky. :P

It is my understanding that blended Scotch whiskies from the 80s and earlier were much higher in malt content but this has been reduced in the current versions. Rumors about that many of the blends used to be 60 to 70 percent malt back then while they have been reported to be only 30 to 40 percent now. These number are rumored in terms of percentage but I have tasted plenty of old Pinch and JW to not that there is quite a bit of difference between the oldies and the current product. Grain content is much more evident.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby OJlovedNicole » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:27 am

Thanks guys,
i must be more newb that i think.

The Third Dram wrote:
OJlovedNicole wrote:I'm on a quest for the maltiest of the maltiest (within reasonable $$) and believe the info is worth sharing for other enthusiasts.

Have you considered investigating some of the blended Scotch malt whiskies (all of which are produced 100% from malted barley) currently available in the marketplace? There are many fine ones out there, and a few of them are rather reasonably priced.

Yes?
What are some of the maltiest blended at a cheap price?

What are the maltiest single malts?
OJlovedNicole

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:45 pm

OJlovedNicole wrote:1. What are some of the maltiest blended at a cheap price?
2. What are the maltiest single malts?

1. Try to track down William Grant & Son's Monkey Shoulder... 100% malt (blended)
2. Any single malt is 100% malt content.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder