Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Chivas 18

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Chivas 18

Postby Elliot » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:37 pm

Is this blend worth the effort or is its quality far surpassed by its marketing? I'm interested because I can get my hands on it for $34 US.
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby Tyson » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:59 am

It's much better than the Chivas 12, so in that respect it's not too bad. But in a similar style I much prefer Teachers (for a blend). Cheaper, too.
Tyson

Postby Admiral » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:09 am

My tasting club tackled the Chivas 18 at the start of last year. We were thoroughly unimpressed, regardless of the price.

Whilst it is undoubtedly better than the standard 12yo, the bar still isn't set very high. :wink:

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:18 am

Duly noted. I'm surprised it was awarded a gold medal by the magazine's tasters given the general reaction by most shop owners with whom I've spoken.
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby The Fachan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:33 pm

Elliot,

Just curious, is the old or new packaging. The neck collar on the new bottle has the blenders signature.
Excellent price, heaps of Stratisla and Longmorn. Ita a totally different blend than the 12yo.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:40 pm

For that price, I'm impressed. I tried it a while ago. The flavours are rounded and soft (almost surounded in cotton) and nothing sharp or strong comes out at you. Reminded me a little of a less honeyed version of JW Gold. Not a great whisky, not anything to challange you but not bad either. What else could you get for that price? At the LCBO it goes for C$90 or so - the same price as Lagavulin 16yr OB.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:08 am

I wonder if it improves with ice?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:36 pm

i really liked it. i dont have my notes handy but i do recall i felt it was a lot better than the 12 and well worth the price. no harm no foul at that price.

pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Tyson » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:08 am

Teachers! Man, I wonder if my posts are given less weight around here because of my infrequent posting? I've had (and drank) bottles of the Chivas 12, the Chivas 18, JW Gold, and Teachers, and the Teachers blend is the best of the lot, and not by a little.
Tyson

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:26 am

Tyson, everyone here suffers from short-term memory loss. If you want your opinions to count for anything, you have to repeat yourself over and over and over. Tyson, everyone here suffers from short-term memory loss. If you want your opinions to count for anything, you have to repeat yourself over and over and over. Tyson, everyone here suffers from short-term memory loss. If you want your opinions to count for anything, you have to repeat yourself over and over and over. Tyson, everyone here suffers from short-term memory loss. If you want your opinions to count for anything, you have to repeat yourself over and over and over.

Edited in a fit of morning-after embarrassment.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:43 am

Just curious, is the old or new packaging. The neck collar on the new bottle has the blenders signature.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure. I don't have the package in front of me at the moment. I read about the slight change in the title. Is there a major difference between the old and newer bottlings?
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby Josh » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:04 am

Admiral wrote:My tasting club tackled the Chivas 18 at the start of last year. We were thoroughly unimpressed, regardless of the price.

Whilst it is undoubtedly better than the standard 12yo, the bar still isn't set very high. :wink:

Cheers,
Admiral

Agree absolutley. We had a bottle being served at a business dinner and I didn't go beyond the first drink.

Got home ,switched to Dewar's Special Reserve ( 12 yo) and felt much better. I think the award this one has won is much more deserving. Admiral,what's your take on this blend?

Cheers,
Josh
Josh

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:25 pm

Tattiehead, you make me laugh. :D

Have any of you tried the Grant's Family Reserve???? It's about C$27 here and has loads of flavour.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Tyson » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:47 pm

Teachers! Man, I wonder if my posts are given less weight around here because of my infrequent posting? I've had (and drank) bottles of the Chivas 12, the Chivas 18, JW Gold, and Teachers, and the Teachers blend is the best of the lot, and not by a little.
Tyson

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:54 pm

Tyson wrote:Teachers! Man, I wonder if my posts are given less weight around here because of my infrequent posting? I've had (and drank) bottles of the Chivas 12, the Chivas 18, JW Gold, and Teachers, and the Teachers blend is the best of the lot, and not by a little.

I see - now I remember!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:21 pm

Tyson wrote:Teachers! Man, I wonder if my posts are given less weight around here because of my infrequent posting? I've had (and drank) bottles of the Chivas 12, the Chivas 18, JW Gold, and Teachers, and the Teachers blend is the best of the lot, and not by a little.

By George, I think he's got it!
Deactivated Member

Postby Tyson » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:05 pm

Can't remember if I already posted this, but I'll repost it just in case anyone missed it:

Tyson

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:32 pm

Oh $#!%. He's got it!
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:28 pm

Tyson wrote: I wonder if my posts are given less weight around here because of my infrequent posting?

I seem to recall this same line being posted in another thread...

Not only are we starting to suffer from off-topic comments, but apparently cross-pollination (or flocculation) between threads! ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder