Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

When age doesn't let you down

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

When age doesn't let you down

Postby dimmer switch » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:47 pm

All too often I'm disappointed by oldies. I'm heading towards being past my own sell-by date, but I still can't help having a gentle surge of anticipation that something exciting is about to happen when I crack open a bottle of old stuff. Unfortunately, I feel let down more often than not. I guess we all know that sitting around in a cask for too long can be detrimental.

Last night, I certainly wasn't disappointed when I had the opportunity to try some Glencraig. This one: Clencraig, SMWS 104.12 34yo (distilled June 1974) 48.4%. Refill barrel 191 bottles. ”Angels on horseback”.

Now this is quite a spirit. Eyes and nose were treated to a deep golden colour and a wonderful meadow flowers perfumey nose, but with a touch of something loamy. Then a delicious evolution of flavours followed on the palate – vanilla, cream, custard, sweetness with oak and malty notes creeping in, and more floral perfume. A sublime soft finish that stayed long enough for me completed the experience nicely.

I tasted it without water first, then with a drop which I found dampened the experience! I then went back to no water for a couple of drams-worth. Don’t think that water adds any benefits to this malt, especially as the lowish abv caresses rather than slaps in the first place.

The angels on their horses were demonstrating the elegance of perfect dressage rather than galloping along a track.

What a lovely dram.
:D
dimmer switch

Re: When age doesn't let you down

Postby Ganga » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:17 am

I've had some truly superb older drams to counter some of the ones that went too long in the cask. Glenfarclas, Longmorn and Glen Grant come to mind for whiskies that take age great. In the case of Glenfarclas, I'd suggest ones that were refill sherry when looking at ones over 25 years.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: When age doesn't let you down

Postby dimmer switch » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 am

I agree with your Glenfarclas recommendation for trying the refill sherry cask oldies. In particular the 1970's Family Cask series had some truly excellent examples.

:thumbsup:
dimmer switch

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder