Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Cadenheads Small Batch tasting 26.6.14

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

New Cadenheads Small Batch tasting 26.6.14

Postby jmrl » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:10 am

So the new Cadenheads Small Batch arrive tomorrow:-

The latest Creations blend, we've had the smoky style and then the sherried so now for the lighter side, 46%.

The latest grain - Port Dundas 25yo 46%, unfortunately this has counted as a closed distillery for a wee while now, this will be used in the barge tasting in August - which is sold out incidentally.

Caol Ila 10yo 46% - nice to see a younger Islay on the list.

Aultmore-Glenlivet 17yo 54.9%, a lesser spotted Speyside which is thin on the ground in the shop just now so looking forward to another try of a lesser encountered malt.

Glen Keith-Glenlivet 29yo 47.5% there's been some nice teenage Glen Keiths around recently so curious to taste an older one.

Glenlivet 25yo 54.5% - the last one we bottled was a belter from a claret cask at 24yo so expectations are unfairly high.

Glenlossie-Glenlivet 48yo 43.5% - the oldest malt we've ever bottled.

Miltonduff-Glenlivet 24yo 55.3% - had some nice ones recently but they were teenagers at 46% so again looking forward to a variation from the distillery.

Speyside 18yo 62.8% - must be from some of the earliest casks filled, sherry cask too, I've never tried a sherried Speyside, high strength.

Tamdhu 22yo 56% - last year's bottling by Cadenheads was a port cask which wasn't to everybody's taste although it worked for me.

Tamnavulin 22yo 52.9% - another dram whose profile has slipped a bit recently.

The tasting will probably include the Caol Ila and Speyside perhaps the blend and a couple of oldies.

I'll test drive as many as I can and post the results. The tasting will probably be about £20 and at 7.30pm at The Kilderkin, Royal Mile, Edinburgh.
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: New Cadenheads Small Batch tasting 26.6.14

Postby jmrl » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:21 pm

Hmm, well I think we're safe with the Miltonduff 22yo and despite my reservations about finishing on a peaty dram that's not cask strength the Bowmore 13yo 46% was up to the job so will probably go with the Caol Ila 10yo 46% this Thursday, yet to try the Glen Keith 28yo and will skip the Speyside and use a private bottling of an Arran 'Easan boirach' 52.4% 15yo first fill sherry courtesy of regular Neil (referring to his frequency at the tasting rather than the punctuality of his bowels) so if the Glen Keith is good we're just looking for one more dram: perhaps another Bourbon.
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder