Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Any opinions on Glenallachie

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Any opinions on Glenallachie

Postby Frodo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:55 am

Hello all:

I've found a bottling (Dun Bheagan single cask - bourbon) of 12yr old Glenallachie, and I'm curious. I need to make my mind up real fast since there's only a handful of these bottles, and I haven't seen much from this distillery at the LCBO. Is this a same-and-samey speysider, or does it have something that folks would recommend.

Would appretiate any feedback (good or bad) on the subject!

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:16 am

Frodo:
Can't say for sure as merchant bottlings are very rare from this young distllery built in 1967, closed, sold and reopened in late 1980's, aside from a 12yr old OB most of the output goes towards Campbell blends (Pernod Ricard). My guess is that nothing out of the ordinary, but as expressions are rare, it may be worthy of the expenditure.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:52 pm

Frodo, Jim Murray gives the Dun Bheagan 1991 12 year old an 86 which is starting to get up there for Jim. The other two bottlings he rates are a 79 and a 76, it seems there is not too much of this on the market and nothing in the form of an OB. It sounds like a good opportunity.
Lawrence
Matured cask

glenallachie

Postby richard » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:13 pm

there is the twelve year old bottlethe one with the yellow label of the distillery i tried a mini of this lighlty peated a fair dram cant remember much more there is a distillery bottle around at the moment at cask strength a 50 c/l bottle similar to the glenlivet and longmorn botttles

there are a few indepdent bottles i have a few bottles of a 18 year old bottled by the whisky castle in tomintoul bottled at 43%
a light bodyied whisky sherbert lightly fruity a nice dram
hope this helps

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Tom » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:21 pm

I have only tried one, Glenallachie 1990 vintage, and must say that dissapointment is an understatement. This was about the worst whisky i ever had. Very one dimensional and bland bland bland.
The '90 was an OB but selected by a supermarket in belgium, so it probably wont be representive for the distillery (I most surely hope not). Offcourse thats only one bottling, I have no idea how the rest tastes but I'd be cautious nevertheless.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:38 am

I tried a Glenallachie at Cadenhead's. To my mind, it had very strong bourbon notes - sweetish vanilla and a dry finish. It was not remarkable, but it wasn't dreadful either. Apparently the tasting bottle had been open for a long time, so they said that a fresh bottle would probably taste better. I got a bottle anyway, because it is a whisky I haven't come across too often, but I haven't opened it yet (in a queue with about 80 others!)
Deactivated Member

Postby barrm2 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:51 am

Scapa appears to have joined the range of CS editions, according to this page (about half way down):

http://www.maltwhiskydistilleries.com/Contact/FAQ/tabid/83/Default.aspx
barrm2

Postby fishboy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:18 am

barrm2 wrote:Scapa appears to have joined the range of CS editions, according to this page (about half way down):

I visited Glenlivet the other day and picked up a Cask Strength Scapa. Yum
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby barrm2 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:20 am

fishboy wrote:
barrm2 wrote:Scapa appears to have joined the range of CS editions, according to this page (about half way down):

I visited Glenlivet the other day and picked up a Cask Strength Scapa. Yum

Great - I might have to order a bottle for myself!
barrm2

please help

Postby dave_b » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:10 pm

where can I get a bottle of scapa cask strength or aberlour cask strength?

kind regards

david
dave_b

Postby Ganga » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:59 am

I have a Signatory 10 yo version. I quite like it for its age. I seem to recall that I have seen a half dozen or so independent bottlings but nothing over about 15 yo.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: please help

Postby barrm2 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:59 am

dave_b wrote:where can I get a bottle of scapa cask strength or aberlour cask strength?

kind regards

david

These CS editions are usually available only from the distilleries themselves but I was able to order my Scapa from the website I mentioned above - Scapa Cask Strength Edition

There is no "Aberlour Cask Strength Edition" - this is the a'bunadh.

Hope that helps!
barrm2

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder