Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cadenhead's Ardbegs?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Cadenhead's Ardbegs?

Postby islay67 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:10 am

Hi!

Anyone tasted new Cadenhead's Ardbegs: 1993 11y. 57,4% or 59,5%? Tastingnotes?
islay67

Postby Tom » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:45 pm

Hello Islay67,

I am not sure if we are talking about the same bottling, I have a cadenheads Ardbeg 1993 bottled 2004 (11Y) at 58,6% Sherry hogshead. In case we are, here are my notes:
Nose: Raw meat, lots of salted/smoked bacon, Complex yet somewhat unbalanced, Raw peat and seaweed, an edgy Ardbeg with smoke and sherry leading the way.
Taste: Well flavored taste. Dark sherry taste, dry nor sweet, recogniseble sea influences, spirity but never too punchy, After the initial alcohol punch flavor development arises with sherry, bacon, seaweed, dark peat and obvious sweet malt.
Finish: Long, dry peat lasts forever and is in excellent balance with the sherry. Hint of salt, Sometimes pungent on the tongue.
Opinion: Very well balanced flavors. Peat and sherry complement eachother very well with the third main player smoked bacon. One of the best and longest finishes of any Ardbeg.
Score: 91
Hope this helps. Cadenheads seem to produce more great then less great bottlings anyway.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby islay67 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:00 pm

Thank you Tom. It's not a same cask, but your sherrycask version sounds great! These what i mean are matured in bourbon hogsheads and bottled 2005.
islay67

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder