Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisk(e)y and chocolate!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Whisk(e)y and chocolate!

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:33 pm

Mrs Crieftan (not a whisky drinker, yet!) has alarmingly found the delights of Ardbeg 10yo and good chocolate (particularly marzipan logs from a local chocolate factory!)
Anyone got any other "chocolate friendly" whisk(e)y suggestions?
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:15 pm

I've tried a couple of the older Dalmore expressions (21 and 30YO) with chocolate at tastings...both went together with chocolate very well!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:17 pm

Glenfiddich 30 and white chocolate.......very yummy, but admittedly a tad on the expensive side.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:58 pm

I frequently pair a Tootsie Roll or M&Ms with higher-proof (100 and up) bourbons.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:44 pm

TNbourbon wrote:I frequently pair a Tootsie Roll or M&Ms with higher-proof (100 and up) bourbons.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "Tootsie Roll"? Sounds interesting!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:46 pm

Crieftan wrote:...what's a "Tootsie Roll"? Sounds interesting!

A Tootsie Roll is one of life's pleasures. Chewable chocolate. I assumed, I guess, their long-time popularity here signaled their likely export.
See here:
http://www.tootsie.com/roll.html

It's been part of the American GI's standard ration since WWII.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:18 am

Tootsie Rolls are more gummy stuff than chocolate. Definitely not gourmet quality stuff! I love 'em, though (in moderation). TN, I hope you won't take offense if I say your post made me laugh!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:05 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:...TN, I hope you won't take offense if I say your post made me laugh!

No problem! I'm hard to offend, and make no pretense of class! :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:57 am

Wifee brought back a box of Purdy's from out west and i was enjoying an Ardbeg when the box was opened and couldn't resist getting started on it and was surprised how well the two complimented each other. If you've never had Purdy's they are very fine choclates not a dislikeable one in any of their assorted boxes that i've had over the years. Check-out their website @ http://www.PURDYS.com
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:48 am

Hi there,

Talisker 10 years and very dark chocolate with a high content of cocoa is a classic.

Is that where "The Classic Malts" originated?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:44 am

The Dalmore people advocated eating dark chocolate with their 62 year old whisky. If anyone has a bottle and wants to invite me over, I'd be willing to try it both with and without dark chocolate!
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:25 pm

i was enjoying an Ardbeg when the box was opened and couldn't resist getting started on it and was surprised how well the two complimented each other.

I've long maintained that Ardbeg and chocolate go together well. The standard OB Ardbeg 10yo has a deliciously chocolate / malty flavour to it.

CHeers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:25 pm

Thanks for your tips folks.
Mrs C and I will enjoy experimenting further!
Deactivated Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:01 pm

MGillespie wrote:I've tried a couple of the older Dalmore expressions (21 and 30YO) with chocolate at tastings...both went together with chocolate very well!

Mark

funny i have done the same with dalmore but not with the older ones. i wish i could remember whcih one, but at a tasting one of the tables was giving out ghirardelli chocolate to taste with their whisky. someone here has to know which one it was.

pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby bernstein » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:17 am

Curiously enough even traders seem to get an idea of the benefits of combining whisky and chocolate. La Maison du Whisky in Paris retails a G&M Reserve Glentauchers 1990 with dark Madagascar chocolate and some grapefruit pralinés (!!) by Pierre Hermé (delicious stuff BTW) for laughable 69 €. Nice casket though.

http://www.whisky.fr/index_2.php?partie ... rod_id=640
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:39 pm

By the way, our friends in Brussels (I'm thinking specifically of Tom here) may want to head down to the Petit Sablon area of town...I have a feeling anything in the Pierre Marcolini shop would work really well with a good whisky!

Markg
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder