Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tyrconnell 13 years old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Tyrconnell

Tyrconnell 13 years old

Postby Aidan » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:53 pm

I had some of this today and immediately bought a bottle. It is as pleasent a whisky as I've had (by this I dont' mean the best I've had). Quite light with quite a late arrival of flavours. Bottled at 46% abv. A real whiskey for quaffing.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:03 am

A single malt, is it not? An OB? Not too many 13's around! I've seen Tyrconnell's standard bottling here and there but haven't tried it in ages.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:44 am

Tattie

Yeah, it's a single malt. The standard Tyrconnell is quite a simple malt, although it's improved a lot lately. This one was bottled for the Celtic Whiskey Shop from a single bourbon barrell and is unchillfiltered.
Aidan

Re: Tyrconnell 13 years old

Postby centrefire » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:46 am

I tried the ordinary (no age) Tirconnell malt about 3 years ago and thought it was good, with a sort of charming poiteen nose. But I bought another bottle in March 09. It was changed, too light with an unpleasent wood note, there was a kind of lawnmower grass box drenched with waste oil flavour. Gave some to a lady who liked the original one and said it was horrible. Hav'nt tried the 13 year old.

Wonder how Cooley produce so many diferent expressions with the same malt and grain. It must by that they get a variety of casks from Heaven Hill and use the better ones for the Connemara and Greenore.

I find their Tesco terrible and the Dundalgan cut price one not much better.
centrefire

Postby Aidan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:22 pm

I have not had the standard Tyrconnell for a long time. The aged versions are generally quite good. Maderia finish being the best, for me.

Cooley's best stuff, I think, is bottled at cask strenght, peated and aged. Cadenhead bottle a few of these.
Aidan

Postby cathach » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:57 pm

The OB single casks are wonderful too I think. I have a 16yo open now, and I couldn't praise it highly enough. Have you tried the older unpeated stuff? There is a 15yo Tyrconnel now on the shelves, and I think its great too.
cathach
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Tyrconnell

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder