Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Morrison's - Bruichladdich Rocks

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Morrison's - Bruichladdich Rocks

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:44 pm

Just saw a flyer for Morrison's supermarkets and they have and exclusive called 'Bruichladdich Rocks' which costs £22.99

Anyone know anything about it?

Any afficianados of Bruichladdich?

What does it taste like?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:47 am

There's nothing that I could see on the Bruichladdich website but I just had a quick look.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:10 am

Details here:

http://www.bruichladdich.com/latestnews ... 4rocks.htm

Supposedly designed to be drunk with ice--thus the name. I have to admit, this one has me inching towards Nick's camp....
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:43 am

I wonder if Spirit of Islay didn't mention this one in one of his posts after visiting Islay this summer/spring? Wasn't he a bit sceptic to the taste?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:15 pm

After maturing in Bourbon casks, to further confound the traditionalists, Grenache wine casks from the Banyuls region of south west France were used to add fruit nuances after a short period of refinement

Despite all the hype about ice and Atlantic swepts Rockall, sorry rocks, it does sound interesting.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:06 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I wonder if Spirit of Islay didn't mention this one in one of his posts after visiting Islay this summer/spring? Wasn't he a bit sceptic to the taste?

Skål!
Christian

Hi Christian,
i did mention it somewhere !
It tasted very young (spirity,contains 2001 Laddie if i remember rightly) and is a pretty weird colour as well , i still bought 2 bottles of it from Morrisons due to having a £5 discount voucher and the wife really enjoying it !
It's a strange beastie i would try and have a taste of it first as it may not be to your liking . The Morrisons promotion is for the summer only then i'm sure it hits other places after that .
Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:53 pm

It actually does sound interesting, and I will try it if I get a chance, but I really have to suppress the preconceived notion filter in my cpu. I hope they'll forgive me if I forego the ice!
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:42 pm

It's really rather good. :D

It's medium weighted with hints of pepper and mustard and a taste of thick roast beef sandwich - not unlike Diageo's Clynelish when it was an F+F bottling.

It also freshens up considerably when a little drop of water.

A great buy! 8)
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Pascal » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:55 am

Care to buy an extra bottle and send it in the mail? I'm on a mission to try all the affordable Laddies I can find, and it appears I can't get this one over here. I'm also after a bottle of 12 which doesn't appear to be available over here. :?

Hopefully Lawrence would have good ideas for a Canadian wanting to sample those malts?
Pascal

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:47 pm

Whilst on the subject of "Laddie" - has anyone tried Infinity? I have just got a bottle and I can't find anything about it? Its a vatted malt, I'm pretty sure, and it is quite sherried. Tastes pretty good so all's well, but it would be nice to hear other opinions.

Nothing in the BL website and the only note I can find is in the LFW website (incidentally the only place I can find that sells it).
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:02 pm

Pascal, I will send you any whisky you want from this side of the country.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:39 pm

Crieftan wrote:Whilst on the subject of "Laddie" - has anyone tried Infinity? I have just got a bottle and I can't find anything about it? Its a vatted malt, I'm pretty sure, and it is quite sherried. Tastes pretty good so all's well, but it would be nice to hear other opinions.

Nothing in the BL website and the only note I can find is in the LFW website (incidentally the only place I can find that sells it).

Hi Crieftan!
I've tried it too and found it to be good! And you're right about the sherry as it is an all-sherry afair made exclusively for retailers - or so it says on the website of Royal Mile Whiskies!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Pascal » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:54 am

Lawrence wrote:Pascal, I will send you any whisky you want from this side of the country.

Lawrence

Much appreciated Lawrence, and I will take you up on that offer some time if I don't make my way over there beforehand. I love the West, and I miss it dearly when I don't make it for over a year.

Cheers.
Pascal

Postby patrick dicaprio » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:08 pm

supposedly designed to be taken with ice. given how subtle the Laddies i have had are, i would be surprised if it is good with ice but if anyone has tried it i would be interested. now i should probably read the rest of the thread since someone may have answered this already. :oops:

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:09 pm

Like most whiskies bottled at more than 40%, it's best with a small dribble of water to open it up. 8)
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder