Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dalmore Cigar Malt - added caramel?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : The Dalmore Cigar Malt

Dalmore Cigar Malt - added caramel?

Postby jlane » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:53 am

Is it my imagination or does the bottle's back label admit that caramel is added. Even though the depth of colour always was a strong indication that it has been added, it seems vaguely off-putting to see it actually stated - anyone agree?
jlane

Postby Admiral » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:13 am

Hi jlane,

You'll have to tell us where you are from, or at least where you bought the bottle from?

Different countries have different rules & regulations as to what must be stated on the label.

Germany and other European countries require that artificial additives such as colouring be stated, so yes, you will actually see it on the bottle.

For countries that don't have such requirements, the labels obviously don't state it!

There is an excellent post somewhere on this site from Lawrence where he listed all the bottlings that were known to have caramel added, as ascertained by such labelling.

I just checked the list (I saved it elsewhere on my computer), and Dalmore Cigar Malt does indeed apparently have caramel added.

Believe me, it is not in the minority!! :(

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby jlane » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:17 am

Admiral

Thanks for this. Bought the bottle in the UK. Of course I knew caramel is added to lots of whiskies, but first time I have seen it on a label - thanks for the info.

jlane
jlane

Re: Dalmore Cigar Malt - added caramel?

Postby bernstein » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:25 am

jlane wrote: it seems vaguely off-putting to see it actually stated - anyone agree?

Welcome to the club, jlane!

As Admiral mentioned before Lawrence (great effort!) posted a list of malts with added E150 (caramel/'Farbstoff') back in December 2004 at these forums. The Dalmore Cigar Malt appears indeed among quite a lot of other celebrities...

From time to time threads (for example this one) related to the whole colouring and/or chillfiltering business erupt around here.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby jlane » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:59 pm

Bernie - thanks for the links.

I have now seen the list and am weeping. Adding caramel spoils individuality. Ok for blends, but not for malts whose growth in the last 10/15 yrs has been fuelled by their (perceived) individuality. Bad show you polluters! Use decent wood and you will get decent colour.

Taking a theme from Admiral in that past Thread, I would certainly add to the list of recognisable caramel "taint" to the taste in the Dalmore. Like chewing a rubber inner tube.

Cheers
jlane
jlane

Postby kallaskander » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:00 pm

Hi there,

jlane you might just have given me the explanation for my not liking Dalmore at all. All the OB bottlings here in Germany I saw were artificially coloured. Dalmore might be a malt that is senitive to that and does not stand for it. That is what my tastebuds say at least. I think I should try to get an independent bottling of a ncf, cs natural colour and give it another chance. Not that I have ever come across an independent bottling of a Dalmore, come to think of it.

Anybody an idea about Dalmore IB?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:04 pm

I used to like Dalmore OB but can't drink it anymore. I think perhaps I too am more sensitive to caramel than when I first started drinking scotch.

I have, however, had some lovely Dalmores from Cadenheads that are really good. It's a pity they no longer export to Canada.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby jlane » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:06 pm

strange thing is - I thought it was meant to be at such a low level as to be undetectable to the human palate - anyone got some scientific facts to give sway to the argument one way or other?
jlane

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:39 pm

jlane wrote:Use decent wood and you will get decent colour.

Color is always interesting, but one learns not to get hung up on it. Folks are often surprised at the paleness of, say, Ardbeg, and quickly learn that depth of color is not a predictor of quality of the whisky. So allow me, please, to amend your statement: Use decent wood and you will get decent whisky; let the color chips fall where they may. (Why do I have a sudden urge to paint the living room?)

Producers of single malts will stop using caramel when they believe it is a liability in the marketplace. Keep spreading the word.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:46 pm

Producers of single malts will stop using caramel when they believe it is a liability in the marketplace. Keep spreading the word.

Well said Tattihied, I think you're bang on, here's to the day that the industry stops chill filtering and adding caramel.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:56 pm

Welcome, jlane...Simon Brooking is doing a few Dalmore tastings in my area this week, and I'll see what he's willing to admit to...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Ize » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:52 am

For instance, I never ever judge whisky by it's colour, IMO it's very stupid thing to do. Nevertheless, for some odd reason many famous critics give extra credits from the colour of whisky???

But my message to distilleries is, that cut out that artificial colouring!! But since they can always fool the fools, they will not end that ... *sigh*
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:22 pm

We've discussed color before and if a whisky does not have caramel added then the color can give you some clues to the cask that was used. I like to know what the story is with a whisky and thus the cask info is of some interest, it's all part of the experience.

Of course if it's a OB then there could be several different casks types used is the vatting to make up the run.

However at the end of the day it's all about taste.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:58 pm

Let me put it this way: The color of a whisky, while not especially important in and of itself, is always interesting. Many have asked why Ardbeg is so pale, and no one has yet explained to me why several Bruichladdichs I've had from refill sherry casks were so dark. In neither case did it really matter once the whisky hit my tongue, but by masking the true color of a whisky, producers actually render the issue entirely uninteresting. What does it matter, after all, if it isn't real, or if you can't know whether it's real? I can understand the original impulse to touch up color in order to standardize OB's; nobody wants to have a bottle returned because some clown thinks there's something wrong with it. But it's a slippery slope once you start, and some producers have plainly gone overboard (to mix metaphors). Better to print on the label that some color variation is normal (along with chill haze), and if you're really nervous about it, put it in a dark green or brown bottle.
Deactivated Member

Postby jlane » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:50 pm

Thanks for your input guys. Really appreciate it as a newcomer.
jlane

Related whiskies : The Dalmore Cigar Malt

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder