Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Magazine Online version 2

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues

How much would you pay for a WM Token

Nothing
52%
1p (£0.01)
No votes
5p (£0.05)
4%
10p (£0.10)
12%
25p (£0.25)
16%
50p (£0.50)
4%
100p (£1.00)
12%

Total votes : 25

Whisky Magazine Online version 2

Postby Matt2 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:21 pm

Hi again,

Following the comments in the other WM online post I would appreciate your votes and comments on this... :?

:?: You buy a bunch of WM tokens on the website

:?: One token will allow you access to one article

:?: Once you have read an article it will be stored in your personal area so you can refer back to it without paying again

:?: One token would also allow you to email the article to a friend

:?: You could possibly earn tokens on the website (maybe for posting in the forum or submitting a tasting note)

:?: You would maybe get a bunch of tokens for being a subscriber

Thanks.

Matt
Last edited by Matt2 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt2

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:32 pm

I voted for 1 GBP. Often in the end there was only a real interest in 2 or maybe 3 articles per issue. So this would be a very cost effective, and as explained before, FAST way for me to read WM.

But... Tokens for submitted tatsing notes? ;) Are we going to be direct concurrents? I might have to start adding a forum then ;)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:27 pm

Jeroen Kloppenburg wrote:But... Tokens for submitted tatsing notes? ;) Are we going to be direct concurrents? I might have to start adding a forum then ;)

Or you could pass on all your submitted tasting notes and get lots of tokens. Then you could sell them on Ebay :P

It would probably be more of a score and comment (for whiskies, articles, retailers, cocktails etc), rather than a complete tasting note. Kind of like the general 'Add a comment to this information'
Matt2

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:35 pm

Haha, yeah =D Online tokens can be highly valued. Isnt too long agao someone in China got murdered becuase he sold some tokens from a game which he had borrowed from his friend ... (who then murdered him in responce, appartenlty it was a very rare token).

But they, if I open a forum, you can post on it with a giant banner under each post spamming this site! Haha! ;)

But without kidding, I would love to see WM implementing soemthing like this. I think it would be an excellent way of making use of modern technology to offer an alternative to the paper version of the mag, and also reaching a new audience this way who would not want to subscribe to the paper version.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:33 am

Actually, I really like this idea. The E-mailing a friend an article, and earning tokens really have hooks for me. Regardless, I voted 10p, but I might be willing to pay more (25p).

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby ikendal » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:07 pm

I like to refer familly and friends to articles, 5p to photocopy price of a stamp to post (how much is a stmp nowadays?)
However, surely this could be free of charge, put a banner ad at the bottom of the posting/article - free advertising - more revenue for your company! Also by sending 'clippings' or articles to friends are we not just advertising your magazine for you. therefore more revenue.
I have one friend who has taken up his own subscription based on the articles I passed on to him.
Not sure I like the idea of purchasing tokens - too fussy and complicated, If I am sending to a friend why should I pay?

but then I buy the Mag so I'm not sure if that arguement holds.

anyway there is my dribble for you to ponder any dates for Whisky live London?
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:57 am

Thanks Ikendal, all comments are being looked at. WL London will be on the 3rd and 4th of March. Details to come soon.
Matt2

Postby Aidan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:45 pm

Maybe subscribers to the printed version could get a bit of a reduction. Maybe I'm being greedy.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

tokens

Postby Gordo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:46 pm

nothing
Gordo

Postby bamber » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:59 pm

I put £ 0.50, but people are so used to getting stuff on the net for free I think you would have a tough time convincing them.

Also it would be impossible to protect the content from being copied and reproduced elsewhere.
bamber
Double Gold Member

WM Tokens

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:39 pm

Uh,

We can't use that "coin of the Realm" over here. So I guess we should just double it and toss an $ on the front. Our cousins to the south like Mr. Tattieheid would have to use a 1.6 calculation and put a $US on the front, eh? (note: "eh" is a Canadianism that is like a vocal question mark in this usage) Not to be confused with "Take off - Eh?"

Seriously, it is an interesting concept however as I'm a subscriber I prefer to have the preprinted hard copy in my hands that I can read at my leisure and not have to log on and then juggle electronic tokens. I use my copies not only for reference but to interest other parties in the benefits of whisky in the hopes that they will succumb to purchasing their own and invite me over to sample.

It's rather difficult to email someone an article and have them email you back a dram as thanks. So I vote no, eh?

M P
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:22 am

I voted for 25p. More often than not, I'm looking for specific articles and am happy to pay for them. My thoughts might change if I were to leaf through a few back issues at retail prices here. I paid about $13/issue in Japan.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:12 am

'Rat, we all know the original spelling of Canada was CND--as in "C, eh? N, eh? D, eh?"
Deactivated Member

Postby corbuso » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:24 am

I would not mind to pay some pence for an article, but token should be given to suscribers of whisky magazine (also to the suscribers of the non-english version of WM).

I miss to the see the WM tasting notes updated on this website
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Striped Weasel » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:05 pm

I wouldn't pay a penny for website access. However I can see why those people abroad or in distant areas would pay up. If you buy the hard copy of the mag, surely you should get it free.....

Regards
Striped Weasel

Return to Whisky Magazine

Whisky gift and present finder