Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky in Edmonton

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky in Edmonton

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:31 am

Seven years in Japan and I now find myself locked in for the long haul in Edmonton, Alberta. It may be the city of my birth, and it may be home to a super-heated economy, but it's a far cry from Tokyo when it comes to whisky. Over the last two months I've had no more than 3 glasses of Talisker, and try though I might I just can't find a place that sells Elijah Craig. I'd be grateful if some of the other Canadians who know these parts could recommend not only a good watering hole for whisky drinking, but also a good retailer. As far as I can tell, there is no Edmonton equivalent to Calgary's excellent Willow Park Wine & Spirits, but I am certainly open to suggestion.

Also, can you get Forty Creek in provinces other than Ontario?

Badmonkey, in a time of drought
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby DaveM » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:01 pm

1. The cost of a courier from calgary to edmonton is cheaper than driving your car several times to your local retailer.

2. Forty Creek is available in B.C.
DaveM

Whisky in Edmonton

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:54 am

That's a good point. I expect to be in Calgary to stock up, among other things.

Just out of curiosity, how does Forty Creek go for in BC now?

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby DaveM » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:33 am

$23.49 courtesy of your local BC Liquor Store.
DaveM

Whisky in Edmonton

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:01 am

Not bad at all. My colleague has promised to bring me some back from Victoria this weekend after she drops her daughter off at St. Mikes. In Vancouver I always found the price of scotch prohibitively expensive, which made Canadian whisky and bourbon all the more attractive. Fortunately, prices for scotch in Alberta are quite reasonable.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:08 pm

I saw a bottle in the Strath Liquor Store on Douglas street yesterday.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Whisky in Edmonton

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:36 am

I have yet to find it in Edmonton, but I was pleased to discover on my weekend trip to Calgary that Willow Park has a healthy supply. A fine shop that one is.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:18 am

Hi Badmonkey - while I'm always a strong supporter of Willow Park - they do own a shop in Edmonton - and if you contact Dave Michiels (their Whisky buyer) he might be able to transfer things your way... (403) 296-1640.

Otherwise, checkout Chateau Louis 11727 Kingsway Ave., (780) 452-2337; Barry T's or the new up & comer: Bin 104.

I'll be in Edmonton on Sunday & Monday (shopping a bit) - so I'll see if any other's come to mind.

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Whisky in Edmonton

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:50 am

Thanks, Dave. I really appreciate that. And I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the malt supply in Edmonton.

I was actually hoping to speak with Dave Michaels at Willow Park last weekend, but he wasn't in the shop at the hour I was shopping. I try to speak to him whenever I roll through Calgary, as he does a great job bringing in top-shelf malts into a relatively small market.

Cheers,
Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder