Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Visiting Edinburgh, cheap whisky suggestions!

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Visiting Edinburgh, cheap whisky suggestions!

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:48 pm

I'm off to Edinburgh for my birthday in September (thanks to my lady-friend..... I'm driving however :roll: ).

I will be taking tour around the Whisky heritage tour also but I I'm lloking to buy something that is a bit special but on a budget, ie £30-35. Any suggestions for a whiskt that is a good all-rounder but is generally cheap?
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby richard » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:08 pm

hi scotty try oddbins in the royal mile try the glenlivet 18 year old lightly peaty fruity plums it varies in price you might get lucky its the best place to get a deal or maybe royal mile whiskies there close enough together not to far from the heritage center maybe glen elgin smokey fruity heather and honey
best of luck

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:23 pm

There are three shops worth checking out on the Royal Mile--Royal Mile Whiskies, Oddbins, and the Cadenheads shop. Oddbins may be your best bet for a good value, but you could go to Oddbins in Newcastle. (Go to http://www.oddbins.com and use their store finder. I see they have Highland Park 1958 on special for only £799.) RMW always has a great selection. Cadenheads carry only their own bottlings, and might be a good choice for something special, especially if you have a chance to taste first. Many of their bottlings are very good value. There is also the Whisky Shop in the Waverly shops (adjacent to the train station)--they often have interesting own-label bottlings, but usually aren't cheap. Anyway, shop them all before buying, and stop into the Bow Bar for a few drams and a blether with the knowledgeable staff, which might give you ideas. Too many ideas! Last year I had a great dram of a Cadenheads Clynelish at the Bow, and nabbed the last bottle at the shop the next day.

Whatever you buy will depend on your own tastes. Shopping is half the fun! Enjoy your trip, and check back in on this thread to let us know what you got. (Then we'll all second-guess you!)
Deactivated Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:06 am

Maybe try one or two of the "advanced samples" from Douglas & Laing. They should be available at RMW. They are 200ml versions of whiskies available in thier Old Malt Cask range.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:18 am

Hi Scotty,
Why not get the train up from Newcastle ?
If you book now you and your lady friend will get there for £37 (thats both of you not each) , saves driving and you can have a drink . We usually get the 9.36am (arrives Edin 11.06) then get the 7pm back from Edin (arrives N/cle 8.43pm) . More than enough time to get fed , watered , have a scout of the shops and do the heritage centre .
Regarding the purchase of a bottle , don't know what your tastes are but if you like peated what about the :-
Ardbeg Very Young
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Lagavulin 12yo (slightly above budget).
At Cadenheads see if there is any Campbeltown Loch 21yo left , it's a blend but very good .
2 other shops worth having a look at are Jenners (the whiskies on the 2nd floor ), they have a good selection of G&M as well as others and Harvey Nicks , they have a slightly small expensive selection but they do (or did)keep a range of Adelphi bottlings .They also have the Islay Fine food meats .......
Have a look in The Whisky Shop in the Metrocentre to give you a better idea on what might be available.
If you ever go up into Northumberland , more precisely Holy Island , the mead centre has a cracking selection of malts
(http://www.lindisfarne-mead.co.uk/Shop/ ... election=6) , again mostly G&M but i picked up a few older bottlings i'd never seen , a cracking 1991 Cask Caol Ila from sherry butts that if you blind tasted it you would say it was from the south shore of Islay.

Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:32 am

Personally I would spend your money in the bars and then order something of the net or go to a supermarket - it's really not very cheap up there. The Whisky Heritage Centre has Laphroaig 30yo for £8 a shot and plenty of other really big tempters. Have 3-4 unforgettable drams in there, then pick up a bottle of Ardbeg 10yo from a supermarket on the way home :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:23 pm

SoI, thanks for the tip on Jenners. As for the mead centre, I went to Holy Island last year, and somehow missed that! :cry:
Deactivated Member

Postby mr_a_non » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:31 pm

I am inclined to agree with Bamber here: Ed. is not the cheapest place to buy whisky (ok, there probably are odd exceptions). I would again recommend your £35 going on a few top-class drams and leaving your bottle-buying until you are at home!
mr_a_non

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:39 pm

the heritage centre is a rip-off to buy.

I do recommend RMW, Cadenheads and the Whisky Shop.

I also recommend Jenner's, on Princes Street. Jenner's, the last time I was there, was well stocked with both Gordon and Macphail and Douglas Laing stuff and all at good prices. They have loads of miniatures and plenty of Douglas Laing cask strength 200 ml bottles.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:56 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:...... As for the mead centre, I went to Holy Island last year, and somehow missed that! :cry:

Too busy been all religious no doubt ...... :twisted:
I wasn't expecting it either just popped in to see if the mead was as sickly as i remembered !
The big Hotel on the harbour has a canny selection of malts on offer as well .......for England .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:14 pm

There is variation in prices between the shops. The Heritage Centre has (had?) the cheapest HP18 in town and does good prices on the F&F range. RMW was selling Ardmore OB 12 at £35, which is good by anyone's money. You can also get some interesting and cheaper whiskies at Valvona and Crolla (Elm Row), and some of the CC range at Romanes and Patterson (Princes Street).

I have never been in Harvey Nicks - I might just pop in some time and see.
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:52 pm

Cheers guys!

Sorry I haven't replied in a while. Had a complete system failure when my hard-drive decided to call it a day!

I just like to go away and buy a decent whisky on my holiday! Since been offline however, I've added 3 more to the collection:

Edradour
The Balvenie Doublewood
Tamnavulin
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby bjorn » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:23 am

alright, i'll be the first to admit that i'm far from a whisky expert, but i was (fairly) recently faced with the same dilemma (hah, dilemma). anyway, i picked up a liter of CS Laphroaig at the whisky heritage center for 35 pounds, better than any place around. i must admit however that i kind of regret not getting the QC which was at least 10 pounds less. either way, both are great buys (though i didn't find the CS available for that price at any other shops, most had it in a 70 cl bottle for that price)

bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby bjorn » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:24 am

ps-what is their hp18 price?
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:09 pm

Cheers guys, some good info!

I realised that the Glenkinchie Distillery is on my way home, so I shall be paying a visit there! :wink:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:29 pm

HP18 was about £45 in the SWHC a few months ago but it may have gone up. I checked out Harvey Nicks and found little of interest - except HP18 at a similar sort of price level.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 23, 2006 3:53 am

I'll be stomping around those discussed parts soon, a year after these postings, Edinburgh 28 of August til the 3 of September 2006. All these suggestions help, and I also wonder about the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. How are their bottlings? Pricey, reasonable? Any other suggestions for whisky shopping and drinking in Edinburgh is appreciated!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder