Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

is Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year old for sale around east lothian

All your whisky related questions answered here.

is Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year old for sale around east lothian

Postby whiskeyboy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:39 am

i am visiting a friend in scotland and would like to bring a nice bottle of pappy van winkle 15 year old as a house warming gift ,should i just buy it in america and bring it over or do u suggest another place in east lothian that sells high quality bourbon? i really want to show him that we do have good spirits in america and its not just all scotch! :o :wink:
whiskeyboy

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:31 am

drinkfinder.co.uk has the old 15yo - much better than the new (I've only had the new one - just what I've heard). I would order it from them.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:44 am

Royal Mile Whiskies in Edinburgh City Centre has some good bourbons (check their website), but it would invariably be cheaper if bought in the USA. They may also have Sazerac - if they don't, then I think Valvona and Crolla (Elm Row, Edinburgh) has some. My guess is that East Lothian proper would not have a great selection of bourbon.

For my money, though, you could do a lot worse than offer a bottle of Bookers (c£50 in The Whisky Shop - various branches in central Edinburgh). It is cask strength, has enormous taste and finish so it will last for ages. It is sweet and syrupy, but has an enormous range of flavours - warm corn, herbs, fruitiness, charcoal. These notes are just based on memory - every time I try it, I get something new. I also find that I can still taste it quite clearly the next morning, regardless of what I have eaten or drunk in between.

You might also want to take a Glencairn tasting glass to make sure your spirit of choice is shown off to best effect.

Hope you have a great visit.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:00 am

Sorry brain freeze ! You're in the US - bring some from over there !
bamber
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder