Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Old Potrero Rye 45%

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Old Potrero

Old Potrero Rye 45%

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:57 am

I so wanted to like this stuff Jim Murray raves about it (not this particular 'essay' though), it's North American rye, it's described as a big whisky, which is full of flavour. AND it cost me as much as a nice CS SMWS bottling !!

First of all it tastes nothing like any other whisky I've ever tried. In fact it does not taste like whisky (IMHO). I thought it was like a cross between some weird brandy / grappa and a cheap rum. I felt I could still detect smell a hint of 'white dog' on the nose and I found the mouthfeel to be oily in a way I did not like ! Sure the stuff has a lot of flavours - just not very nice ones (IMO)

Personally I think it would benefit from *a lot* longer in the wood. Myself and a friend stacked it up against Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Glenlivet 18yo and Laphroaig 10yo CS and it was like moonshine in comparison (IMHO).

Ok I've only had one pour and I'll come back to it, but right now I don't like it and I think it is a rip off :(
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:20 am

Hi Bamber

I have had the cask strength stuff. It really grows on you. Lots of aniseed. Lots and lots and lots of aniseed, actually.

I love it - every now and again I take a sip and it lasts me for hours.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:46 am

Hi Aidan,
It may yet grow on me too. There is a lot of flavours there, and it may prove to be an acquired taste. I had trouble naming flavours as it did not fit into a 'normal' whisky experience.

I'll have a few more pours over the next 4-5 days and post any change on perspective, but right now it's not for me.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby voigtman » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:22 am

Bamber, which Old Potrero essay do you have? The latest two esays are getting good comments over at sb.com, but I had several bottles of essay 7 a few years ago, and it was awful. The first pour/dram from a freshly opened bottle was very good indeed, but then the bottle's contents, despite optimum storage, went very bad: all subsequent pours were almost undrinkable. Ended up pouring half a bottle down the drain and giving another away. If you have essay 7, see if it evolves, because it sure isn't "intelligent design!" Ed V.
Last edited by voigtman on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
voigtman

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:37 am

I think it's 10-SRW-ARM-B (I don't have the bottel to hand). JM gives the 'A' version of this 93 and is very positive about it.

So you're saying this stuff will get worse now its open !! Doesn't sound too hopeful.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby voigtman » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:44 am

bamber wrote:I think it's 10-SRW-ARM-B (I don't have the bottel to hand). JM gives the 'A' version of this 93 and is very positive about it.

So you're saying this stuff will get worse now its open !! Doesn't sound too hopeful.

So you have an essay 10. It should be better than my old essay 7s were, and maybe it will improve with bottle aging/oxidation. Frankly, I really want to love Old Potrero, but now I am very wary of it. Of course, it helps that it is not available anywhere near me and internet ordering is illegal where I live (as in most US states). Ed V.
Last edited by voigtman on Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voigtman

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:48 am

I too want to like it but I don't !! I'll post again if it changes with time.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:05 pm

Ok - day 2. I'm already starting to back up. A lot of the raw distillate 'aromas' seem to have burnt off and this dram / pour was quite a pleasant experience.

Still really hard to verbalise the tasting notes - carraway / 'Aidan's aniseed' seems to be there and some honey. Will try again tomorrow (tough life :))
bamber
Double Gold Member

Re: Old Potrero Rye 45%

Postby patrick dicaprio » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:49 pm

bamber wrote: Myself and a friend stacked it up against Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Glenlivet 18yo and Laphroaig 10yo CS and it was like moonshine in comparison (IMHO).(

thats some hefty competition there!

i really enjoyed the old potrero, admittedly though i only had it at two tastings and havent bought a bottle. definitely a unique taste though.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:05 pm

A week on and I like this stuff. It will never be a favourite but it is unique and robustly flavoured.

I've noticed that it seems to change a lot after being opened and the cork is extremely tightly fitted - need to wedge it with a spoon to save the skin on my hands ! I wonder if this is to protect it from oxidation.

All in all I'm glad I have a bottle and have tried it, but I'm not sure it is worth the money unless you really want to try something completely different.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Old Potrero

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder