Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cragganmore

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Cragganmore

Postby toshie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:41 pm

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Cragganmore 12 year old and the Cragganmnore Aged 12 years? :?
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:10 pm

Have you actually seen bottles with the two different wordings, or are you responding to second-hand information--e.g. one website offering 12yo, another "aged 12 years"? If the latter, I would assume they are talking about the same thing.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:37 am

Hi there,

Whisky Mag does treat them as different malts.

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/c ... ky889.html

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/c ... sky29.html

At least they have different tasting notes. The pictures of the bottles seem to be identical, though.
I have not seen a bottle labled "Aged 12 Years" yet. As one malt was reviewed in issue 22 and the other in 28, let us hope it is not just a case of new labels! Mean to say is there really a difference or did marketing strike again? Now that would be interesting, if the malt in the bottle did not change at all.
But I´m raving.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby toshie » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:11 am

That's what intrigued me. In the Whiskies of the World section on this site they are treated as two whiskies, with two sets of tasting notes and two sets of scores. Confused? You bet, and that's BEFORE I taste either :?
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:43 pm

I believe they are one and the same. The pictures certainly look the same. The tasting in issue #22 was part of a survey of 12-year-olds. I can't find #28 at the moment, but the list of whiskies tasted suggests that there may have been a survey of Speysiders. The notes are slightly different, but not significantly so. Broom's score is identical, and Jackson's is a quarter point different. This suggests to me that they actually tasted it on two different occasions for the purpose, which I think is great--it would be very easy just to pull old notes out of a file. That the notes and scores are so similar is testament in my mind to the abilities of the tasters. I doubt anyone would produce exactly matching notes on the same whisky on two different occasions, especially anyone who tastes as much as these guys.

The difference in wording is insignificant--just two ways of saying the same thing. Unless someone has information indicating otherwise, I'd assume we're talking about one expression, tasted on two occasions about a year apart.

Nothing wrong with new labels, kk--such are updated periodically for any given expression, nothing nefarious about it. But I don't think that's even the case here.
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder