Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky shops in Dallas, TX

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky shops in Dallas, TX

Postby gandi » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:17 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know of some good whisky shops in the Dallas area? Mainly interrested in whisky from Islay.

Regards,

Gandi
gandi

Postby gandi » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:26 pm

Google is your friend. Found this shop:
http://www.pogoswine.com

Gandi
gandi

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:35 pm

I've been to Pogo's. An entire wall of Single Malts, especially hard to find IB's. It is right downtown so is kind of a pain to get to, but Mapquest helps. :) Also Centennial Wine and Spirits has a chain of stores there with lots of choices. Dallas and Fort Worth(Majestic chain store) both are great sources for Whisky.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby gandi » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:44 pm

Thanks for the info jimidrammer. What does "IB" mean?

I had a look at map24.com, looks pretty easy to find.....

Any particular Centennial shop you want to recommend? Do you have a website or adress for "Majestetic chain store"?

Gandi
gandi

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:15 am

IB just means Independant Bottling as opposed to OB or Official Bottling or DB Distillery bottling.

Pogo's is around back of a shopping center off of Lovers Lane on a side street which is why I said kinda tricky. The website for Majestic is: http://www.majesticliquors.com/. They have lots of stores scattered around Fort Worth just down the road from Dallas If you look at a map it looks like one big city and feels like it driving through, but actually Arlington is between them. Happy hunting if you make it there. Let me know if you're looking for something specific and I can tell you where I've seen it.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby gandi » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:24 am

Looks like Pogo's is going to be the place to visit. If I can't find anything I like there, I'll try Centennial and Majestetic.

On my wishlist is: Ardbeg 1977, Ardbeg 17, Ardbeg Very Young, Ardbeg Lord of the Isles, Blackadder Raw cask (Bowmore, Ardbeg, Caol Ila etc), Port Ellen 1975, Laphroaig 15, Laphroaig 30.

Gandi
gandi

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:53 pm

The Laphroaig 15, Laphroaig 30 are easy enough to find, but the only Ardbeg's around are 10 and Uigeadail. I've picked up every 17 I could find and haven't seen any there. There is a Murray McDavid "Leapfrog" at Pogo's that is becoming a collectors item. It's the controversial Laphroaig bottling. Really too many to list, but there's lots of rarer bottles probably due to "the Scotch Doc" being located in Dallas.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby gandi » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:28 pm

Do you have an approximate price for the Laphroaigs?
gandi

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:32 am

gandi wrote:Do you have an approximate price for the Laphroaigs?

$57US for the 15 and $250US for the 30. The Murray McDavid "Leapfrog" about $90US.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

1974 Canadian Club

Postby patbostwick » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:09 am

As a gift I just got a 1974 Canadian Club. The Tax label is 100% intact and is UNOPENED. I know nothing about this bottle and any info would be appreciated. I am also looking to sell this bottle, but only to someone I feel is being honest. Im located in California

Patrick
patbostwick

Postby gandi » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:55 pm

jimidrammer wrote:The Laphroaig 15, Laphroaig 30 are easy enough to find, but the only Ardbeg's around are 10 and Uigeadail. I've picked up every 17 I could find and haven't seen any there. There is a Murray McDavid "Leapfrog" at Pogo's that is becoming a collectors item. It's the controversial Laphroaig bottling. Really too many to list, but there's lots of rarer bottles probably due to "the Scotch Doc" being located in Dallas.

I went to Pogo's yesterday. They didn't have any of the Laphroaigs (only 10y and CS) or the Leapfrog...... Also went to Majestetic, Centennial and Sigel's. Couldn't find Laphroaig 30.... But I found Laphroaig 15, Bowmore Mariner, Springbank 15 which are good alternatives.

Have you seen the Laphroaig 30 any other place than Pogo's?

Gandi
gandi

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:21 pm

The only other place I've seen the Laphroaig 30 was at the Brown Derby liquor store chain in Springfield, Missouri. They also had the Springbank 32 ($649US) among other high end bottles.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder