Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

right way to store...

All your whisky related questions answered here.

right way to store...

Postby kildalton » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:42 am

Halo everybody,
I'm new :)

I'd like to ask a question and it's very likely someone had the same doubts before so i really appreciate if someone could help where eventually i can find a piece of advise about the matter.
I'd like to know which is the best way to store bottles.
At the moment I'm keeping mine inside pieces of furniture behind glass windows or wood panels and away from sunlight in horizontal position-
Anyway with the passing of years i noticed in a couple of them a slight lowering of the fluid level.
I'm wondering what else i can do to avoid or minimize it bearing in mind that i've not a cellar with constant temperature.
I'd also like in which way moisture and enviromental aspects can affect the right conservation of bottles(i really fear to ruin my old samaroli's :) ).

So if anyone can provide me with links on the topic and some advises will have all my appreciation.

Many thanks.

Paolo
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:57 am

High-alcohol fluids like whisky should be stored upright. In a horizontal bottle, the alcohol will eat the cork and ruin the whisky. Some here have suggested turning the bottle occasionally to wet the cork so it doesn't dry out, but as far as I know, no one has done an empirical investigation of the benefits of doing this. If you are storing for a very long time and are worried about evaporation, then maybe some sort of extra seal over the existing one would make you feel better; but I think modern cork-and-capsule seals are probably good enough in most any case.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:40 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:High-alcohol fluids like whisky should be stored upright. In a horizontal bottle, the alcohol will eat the cork and ruin the whisky. Some here have suggested turning the bottle occasionally to wet the cork so it doesn't dry out, but as far as I know, no one has done an empirical investigation of the benefits of doing this. If you are storing for a very long time and are worried about evaporation, then maybe some sort of extra seal over the existing one would make you feel better; but I think modern cork-and-capsule seals are probably good enough in most any case.

Tattie - where do you get these horizontal bottles? When you open a horizontal bottle, all the liquid would spill out.

Here's something from the Macallan website:

Bob Dalgarno, Macallan's Whisky Maker, recommends that it is best to store your bottles out of sunlight and in a cool, relatively dry and stable environment.

The bottles can be stored upright as the alcohol vapour in the bottle should be sufficient to moisten the cork and ensure it does not dry out.

Fortunately, given The Macallan's natural wood derived colour during maturation our colour does not fade over time. However, if you store whisky that has been coloured using spirit caramel (E150) you may notice significant lightening of colour. Tests we have done prove that where caramel is added to darken the whiskies colour that some 70% of that added colour will fade if the whisky is stored in sunlight.

The other benefit of storing whisky away from sunlight is to protect the label from bleaching.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:46 am

Aidan wrote:
Fortunately, given The Macallan's natural wood derived colour during maturation our colour does not fade over time. However, if you store whisky that has been coloured using spirit caramel (E150) you may notice significant lightening of colour. Tests we have done prove that where caramel is added to darken the whiskies colour that some 70% of that added colour will fade if the whisky is stored in sunlight.

The other benefit of storing whisky away from sunlight is to protect the label from bleaching.

Hey, this caught my intention! I know from before that one is supposed to do the opposite of what Diana Ross sings; "Upsidedown you're turning me, you're turning me.....
- but I didn't know that exposing coloured whisky to sunlight will cause it to fade - label included. Sorry to ask this really stupid question Aidan, but do you know if this will cause the whisky to go "natural" in colour again? I know it sounds daft........ :D

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby kildalton » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Many thanks.
Do You think coating the neck of the bottle with thin plastic film(for aliments) will help?

Paolo
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:09 pm

Cling wrap, you mean? I don't know.... If you are having evaporation problems, I think it might be possible for the plastics to spoil your whisky. I had a bottle in a box lined with fake satin, and after I opened it, the whisky very quickly acquired terrible odors and flavors from the lining. Maybe you could dip the bottle ends in wax.

Aidan, that's why I never buy horizontal bottles! :P

Christian, I would assume that the color would become more "natural", although perhaps never entirely so. I'm tempted to put some Lagavulin in a mini and leave it out in the sun for a while to see what happens.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:16 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Aidan wrote:

Hey, this caught my intention! I know from before that one is supposed to do the opposite of what Diana Ross sings; "Upsidedown you're turning me, you're turning me.....
- but I didn't know that exposing coloured whisky to sunlight will cause it to fade - label included. Sorry to ask this really stupid question Aidan, but do you know if this will cause the whisky to go "natural" in colour again? I know it sounds daft........ :D

Skål!
Christian

Christian

I don't know really. Maybe a good way of getting rid of the bad effects of caramel colouring would be to bring your bottle on holidays to Majorca.

I don't pay too much attention to storage, but I should. I just keep them upright and out of the sunlight.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:28 pm

don't know really. Maybe a good way of getting rid of the bad effects of caramel colouring would be to bring your bottle on holidays to Majorca.

:D :lol: :D :lol:

And as a rule I follow the last statement;

I just keep them upright and out of the sunlight.

I also try and keep them in a room with a fairly stable temperature but I don't worry myself sick over the environment.

If you are worried to the point you cannot sleep then you could always drink them!

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:29 am

Buying a horizontal bottle sounds a bit like buying a left-handed screwdriver! :)

UV light destroys or breaks down most things over time. No reason why whisky should be any different.

Keep bottles in cool environment, stored upright, and away from sunlight. 'Nuff said.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder