Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Going to Japan and China

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Going to Japan and China

Postby Zulumika » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:00 am

So this is it, we're getting married on Oct.1 2005 and then we're going to China for our honneymoon. Since we transit through Tokyo (we should spend the night and most of the next day), I thought I could treat myself with some fine Japanese Malt and bring back some too. Any suggestions?
Zulumika

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:27 am

If you have one night in Tokyo and have malts on your mind, there is only place to go: Helmsdale (http://www.helmsdale-fc.com/).

Despite the map, it is no easy to find, and the bar itself is very small and unassuming. On the shelves, however, is a staggering number and variety of malts, including several superlative SMWS bottlings and a full range of japanese malts. The prices are reasonable and you can get surprisingly good pub food there, as well. The closest train station would be Ebisu on the Yamanote line.

Suntory has at least one whisky bar in Ginza. The whisky is excellent, but the food is average and the prices are quite high.

If you know where in Tokyo you are staying, I might be able to recommend something close to where you are. Tokyo can be a bit overwhelming at first, and if you are jet-lagged you won't likely want to search around too much.

Cheers,

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:31 am

For malts to bring back, I would recommend any one of the following:

Hibiki 17 non-chill filtered (around 7500 yen)
Yoichi 15 (6000 yen when I left town)
Yoichi 10 (usually 4000 yen) when I left town

In Narita Airport you can usually buy a younger Hibiki and Yamazaki 12, both of which are fine. Neither one holds my interest like the ones listed above.

Isetan Department Store in Shinjuku carries a wide range of the Suntory Vintage Series. The whiskies are very good and very expensive.

Good luck.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder