Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Caol Ila 18 YO

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Caol Ila 18 YO

Postby Froagi » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:03 am

Has anyone on site sampled the Caol Ila 18 YO recently? I am quite surprised to find the bottle I purchased at the Pendleton Oregon Liquor store this past saturday has something on the order of 20 ppm or more of phenols; not that I don't appreciate that discovery greatly but rather that a characterisation I read made no mention of this. like very much to know if this is commonly true of this scotch or if batches can vary from no smokey flavor to seriously good smokey flavor. Yes in my opinion Islay makes the best of all scotches. Cheers.
Froagi

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:35 am

I have noticed that bottlings of the Caol Ila 12 have been a bit inconsistant and with that and the price of the 18yo, i'll pass, thankyou very much. I just love the flavour of the C.I. when it's "on", so i tend to buy the CS, because it is consistantly good. I enjoy the CS so much that i don't mind spending the extra $25 over the $75 price tag of the 12yo, making it roughly the same cost as the 18yo.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:16 am

Hi there,

I agree, Mylord. The CI cask strength, we have it here with 55% abv, is extremely good. The 12 year old is about 38.-€ here, the 18 years old is 55.- € and the CS is 54.95 €. The 12 years is a no nonsense Islay, not so heavy as the malts from the south coast. Between the 18 and the Cs I would go for the CS.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:46 pm

i purchased a bottle about 6 months ago. it was nothing like I expected, the peat and smoke were not that strong, and i found it to be unlike most islay malts. it was more fruity than smoky if i recall (dont have my notes handy :oops: )
very good but unexpected.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:19 pm

The Caol Ila 18 to me is akin to the Highland Park 18 and I think the age is more than a coincidence. I have noticed how Islay or Smokey malts tend to mellow with age. How your recent bottle was percieved could be a fluke, as I have heard they can be inconsistent. I haven't opened my newest bottle, but, damn, now I have an excuse. Research! :D
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi Froagi,
You normally find that Batches from Distillery are fairly consistant due to their methods of matching to previous batches . Caol Ilas Barley is peated to the same level as Lagavulins , 35ppm , apart from the "Highland" Caol Ila , 0ppm .
I find the 12 and 18yo not very peaty or smoky , the CS is the best of the 3 , now the 25yo O.B. is another matter , wow ! peaty smoky , antiseptic ..... Perfect !
But if you want to see what Caol ila's can taste like try an SMWS bottling , the 53.84 21yo is possibly the best Caol ila in the world ....ever !
I recently had a G&M Cask 1991 CI from sherry butts and it tasted more like a young south shorer bags of peat .
Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Caol Ila 18 YO round 2

Postby Froagi » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:54 am

Thanks to everyone who commented. Appreciate it very much. I am just having trouble sorting out how a top Scotch Writer and I could find such a great difference in what is exactly the same bottle label pictured in the writers book and my bottle. both are 43 vol and from Islay. The gentleman who states a good 35 ppm of smoke suits me just fine. I didn't want to express how smokey this Scotch is and overshoot the mark but I'll accept 35 gladly. When one of the Scotch Distillers makes one that a burning piece of peat comes out in your glass that might finally do it for me. Cheers all

I've been looking for the way to add a quote to my postings. maybe I should pass on the next dram and figure it out myself but would appreciate a comment from anyone.
Froagi

Postby Admiral » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:26 am

I've explored the Caol Ila 18 on a few occasions, and I'm VERY familiar with many younger Caol Ila bottlings. (Flora & Fauna, Gordon MacPhail, the new hidden malt range, and about 4 or 5 SMWS bottlings).

I'm convinced the 18yo suffers from just a bit too much wood. It's quite dry, bordering on tannic, and the oak has certainly tamed the bulk of the peat.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:27 am

Gordon,

It's my understanding that Lagavulin reverted to 35ppm about 6 or 7 years ago, but that what we are drinking now (i.e. the 16yo) comes from a time when it was peated to 50ppm. Is this correct?

And if so, does that mean that 18 years ago Caol Ila were also matching Lagavulin at 50ppm, or have they been more consistent over the years?

Cheers
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:36 am

Every expression of Caol Ila I've had has been smoky to one degree or another. The 18 is probably the most muted of the ob's. We were discussing it (generally) here a while back as a substitute for unavailable Lagavulin, weren't we? Apparently there is quite a lot of unpeated or low-peated malt made at Caol Ila, but it is all headed for the blending tank.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:20 pm

Admiral wrote:Gordon,

It's my understanding that Lagavulin reverted to 35ppm about 6 or 7 years ago, but that what we are drinking now (i.e. the 16yo) comes from a time when it was peated to 50ppm. Is this correct?

And if so, does that mean that 18 years ago Caol Ila were also matching Lagavulin at 50ppm, or have they been more consistent over the years?

Cheers
Admiral

Hi Admiral ,
Hmmmm never heard that one , always been under the impression Lagavulin was around that mark (below Laphroaigs 40 and above Bowmores 25 ).
but you never know on these things ....

Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Caol Ila 18 YO

Postby Froagi » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:00 pm

Hi Admiral:

Had to go to the cabinet and poor a dram of the CI and Lag 16 and do a SbyS comparison; probably no surprise to anyone here. the Lagavulin is just a bit smokier in both nose and palate than CI 18 and in this case I give full credit to MJ for the accuracy in nose, palate and finish and would add a little brawling character like Ardbeg 10 YO. the CI 18 is very smooth however and certainly a much lighter color. with only two months experience I expect a long and most enjoyable journey with every Scotch that becomes available. this is more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.

Cheers
Froagi

Postby Admiral » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:38 am

Hmmmm never heard that one , always been under the impression Lagavulin was around that mark (below Laphroaigs 40 and above Bowmores 25 ).

Jim Murray makes the assertion in his book, "The Complete Guide To Whisky" (or something similar....I can never remember the exact title).

From memory, the book was published in the late 1990's, and he stated then that Lagavulin had only just reverted to 35ppm after being up at 50ppm for quite a number of years.

I'm at work at the moment, but I'll post and quote directly from the book later on when I get home.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder