Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cask Strength Laphroaig vs Ardbeg

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Cask Strength Laphroaig vs Ardbeg

Postby Froagi » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:44 am

I sure hope one of you distinguished gentlemen have an open bottle of Laphroaig CS and at least an Ardbeg Uigeadail or another Ardbeg cask in the 53 to 54% range to compare. I'm between a rock and a hard place for buying the more interesting Scotches here and I'm wondering if anyone would care to comment on any similarities between the two. I'm a big fan of Laphroaig 10 and 15 YOs and Ardbeg 10 and Uigeadail but cannot for the life of me find a Laphroaig CS. I haven't tasted a Scotch yet that I don't like but the smokey brawlers with higher octane really make me smile. thanks to anyone who can comment.

Cheers
Froagi

Postby kallaskander » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:51 am

Hi there,

hello Froagi. By all means get both of them. Both Uigedail and the Quarter Cask are fine examples of what you can do with very young whiskies if you have to.
In the Uigedail there were some barrels of 1975 used. The Uigedail is a sherried Ardbeg with everything you look for in the Ardbeg range.
The Quarter Cask starts sweet-woody in a very pleasant way and then shows pure Laphroaig in the finish with medicinal and sea-founded notes. A wonderful Islay for one that young.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:45 am

I think he meant the Laphroaig 10yo Cask strength. But that one is also very good. According to the connoiseurs of the forum it reminds them of the how Laphroaig used to be. The CS isn't chill-filtered and that perhaps explains the enhanced taste and flavour. I've only had recent bottlings so I wouldn't know how the CS compares to the "old style" but the CS is undoubtedly good. Ardbeg Uigeadail is perhaps the best whisky I've ever had.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:55 am

What can we tell you ? You're missing out :( The Laphroaig CS is much better than the standard 10yo and if big smokey whiskies are your thing you'll love it.

Personally I prefer the Uigedail over the Laphroaig CS, but many people don't. How about Caol Ila CS as a smokey, if slightly simpler, alternative ?
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:09 pm

Hi there,

sorry CS not QC. The CS is by far more Laphroaig then the 10 years OB. I always wondered where the sherry taste comes from. The CS is supposed to be vatted from bourbon barrels alone. Anyway, the CS is very good.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:34 pm

The C/S is not to be missed since it is reasonably priced ($57US) and stands up well to any Islay IMHO. Although not as sweet as say Ardbeg 10 and more "ash" than Uigeadail. In your face smokey is what it is about, very bracing and unforgiving. A pleasure to which from and then back to in a long session. :) Here's my notes:

Score: (92) Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength 55.7 % abv Islay

Tasting notes:

Color: Orange amber
Nose: Seaweed, salty seaside, old wooden floors, stables, rope, tobacco pipe
Palate: Bold, sweet start, sea salt, briny middle, driftwood, ashes, meaty
Body: Firm, chewy, intense, drying burn
Finish: Smoke trailing all the way
Quote: Just a drop on the tongue has as much flavor as a whole dram of the regular 10, but it is so intense that the struggle is to wrestle with it like the neighborhood bully. I definitely need to check this again before final approval. Interim opinion is “HUGE”. Revise: STILL HUGE!
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Re: Cask Strength Laphroaig vs Ardbeg

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:40 pm

Froagi wrote:I sure hope one of you distinguished gentlemen have an open bottle of Laphroaig CS and at least an Ardbeg Uigeadail or another Ardbeg cask in the 53 to 54% range to compare. I'm between a rock and a hard place for buying the more interesting Scotches here and I'm wondering if anyone would care to comment on any similarities between the two. I'm a big fan of Laphroaig 10 and 15 YOs and Ardbeg 10 and Uigeadail but cannot for the life of me find a Laphroaig CS. I haven't tasted a Scotch yet that I don't like but the smokey brawlers with higher octane really make me smile. thanks to anyone who can comment.

Cheers

As well as the official Laphroaig 10 CS, I had a taste of Douglas Laing's OMC 1987 Laphroaig (50%) when I was at the Tomintoul Whisky castle.

This was a wonderful whisky and one for both afficianados and non-afficianados of the official 10 yr old. At no point did the whisky taste like it needed water, there was good roundness, more sweetness than the OB, it was chewy and an all-round great buy.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

battle of the big smokies

Postby Froagi » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:16 am

my thanks to all for your thoughtful notes and comments. I placed a call to a state near me that says they can obtain a bottle of Laphroaig CS 10 YO for me. that's going to have to do till I can make the pilgrimage to the Motherland in 07. there is just so little available in these two Scotches around these parts. I'm sipping a dram of Oog as I type this and I will continue to say this as long as I live: Until I find a bottle of Scotch that pours out burning Peat in my glass I will not have enough smoke.

Cheers all
Froagi

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder