Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ritterhouse straight rye

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Ritterhouse straight rye

Postby Aidan » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:23 pm

Bamber, TNbourbon and other American whiskey fans - have you ever tasted this. I have never seen a straight rye for sale over here in Ireland, but this is. I was wondering if it's worth buying?

In fact, it probably is even if it's bad, as it's only about 20 euro.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:16 pm

Hi Aidan,
This is one of the only ryes I have yet to try, but it is only a matter time :) Generally heard good but not great things. The only rye I've not enjoyed is Pikesville. Sorry I cannot be of more help.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:20 pm

Thanks Bamber, I'll buy it anyway and let you know what I think. The one for sale here is not the 100 proof reviewed on this site. It's only 80 proof.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:45 pm

Don't miss the Rittenhouse if you can get it. I have both the standard BIB bottling and the 10yo (gotten from a friend who works in the HH bottling house) -- which is custom-bottled by Heaven Hill for places like Maison du Whisky. And, some of us were served a 20yo version which is unmarketed by distiller Parker Beam at a recent private tasting during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival earlier this month.
Anyway, on a quality-to-price ratio, I can't believe there are many better deals in whisk(e)ydom. Pleasing summer-garden floral nose, and a complex palate ranging from violets to cinnamon spice. Get it!
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:48 pm

I'll deffinately pick one up so. I'll let you know. Thanks for the info.
Aidan

Postby bjorn » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:28 am

i think the 40% is a nice rye though nothing incredible. quite a bit of cinnamon. i'm pretty interested in tracking down the BIB, but i have yet to find a bottle

bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:32 am

Hi Bjorn

It might be a good introduction to Rye for me. Of course, it's my only option at the moment.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:34 am

I've been bidding on Sazerac 18s on eBay a few times, but they are very expensive. Might buy one to drink and one to keep, but i'll have to sell some of the other whiskey I already have to afford it.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:02 pm

Aidan wrote:I've been bidding on Sazerac 18s on eBay a few times...

Well, I guess drinking it once would be good for experience -- but, personally, I think it's pretty one-dimensional. To me, the Rittenhouse blows it away, for a fraction the cost.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:32 pm

I've got to disagree with Tim on this one. I've only had the 2001 Sazerac but in terms of immediate impact, no other whisky has come close. It was my favourite whisky for a while, but the Van Winkle Rye seemed to grow on me more - of course it much more readily available and a lot cheaper.

Seems to me though the reviews of recent Sazerac releases on sb.com are less flattering than for the earlier releases. Perhaps something to ponder before really shelling out.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:55 pm

Right, I'll have to try this. at €20, it's not really a gamble.
Aidan

Postby Ed » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:02 pm

Hello All,
Gosh, I wish I could get some of this. I haven't seen it though.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder