Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Japanese whiskey

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Japanese whiskey

Postby littledrinker » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:23 pm

Anybody knows where I can buy it in Canada?
littledrinker

Japanese Whisky

Postby Froagi » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:04 am

good question. I'm interested in tasting one too but have no idea if they are exporting any. hopefully some of the more knowledgeable whisky drinkers will post something here.

Cheers littledrinker
Froagi

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:23 am

I keep my eyes open for it it Alberta, but I have yet to see it. I'd be very interested to find out where I could get some in Canada.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby littledrinker » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:09 am

I am in Toronto, can not find any Suntory or Nikka whiskey in LCBO. Asahi and Sapporo are selling their beer in Canada, don't know if it will show up later. :(
littledrinker

Postby Frodo » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:26 am

This is the sort of thing that Vintages may bring in some limited quantities. My concerns is that the prices will be sky hi due to currency exchange. Kind of like the tequila prices before the Cdn $ went up in the last few months. Ed may be able to shed some light on this one, living in Japan.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ed » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:01 pm

Hello All,
I don't know if or when Japanese whisky will come to Canada. I do know that the prices I have seen in the States are often lower than the prices I see here. Not always, but often.
If you do have a chance to try Japanese whisky take it. Especially Nikka expressions, anyway, that is what floats my boat.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:04 pm

Ed, I had a Nikka Single Cask in Paris and it just tasted just like Buffalo Trace, every you ever experienced that?
Last edited by Lawrence on Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Ed » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:26 am

Hi Lawrence,
I remember you saying that the Nikka Single Cask that you had in Paris tasted just like Buffalo Trace. I haven't had that. Your post has made me curious to try it. I have never really thought that any of the Nikka whiskies that I have had tasted just like a bourbon. There may be elements in common, like a strong vanilla note or maybe a brown sugar sweetness, which might go some way toward explaining my liking for Nikka whisky. (For anyone who doesn't know me from earlier posts, I am primarily a bourbon drinker.) Still, some elements are not present that are in bourbon. Not sure I could parse it all out as tasting notes, but the Nikka whiskies I have had are clearly not that similar to bourbon IMO. Most of my favorite Nikkas have a noticeable peat smoke note, some a fairly powerful smokiness. There are a couple, Nikka Super and Clear Black 8 year old both of which are blends, that I want to go back to and taste to see if they resemble bourbon more than I remember. It should be interesting.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Japanese Whisky

Postby Froagi » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:11 am

Hi Ed. have you tried Knob Creek, Bookers or Bakers. some of my favorites. wondered if you ever drink them or have any comments.

Cheers
Froagi

Postby Ed » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:37 pm

Hi Froagi,
I have had two of the three. Booker's is one of my favorite bourbons. I have had two bottles both of which came from the same barrel. I have had it a couple of times in bars too. Different barrels, I think. I will be buying another bottle soon. I have had a couple of bottles of Knob Creek and like it a lot, too. I have an open bottle of that now. I will be having a pour of that sometime soon. I haven't had the Baker's yet as it is more expensive than Booker's though I understand it is usually the other way around in other markets. Knob Creek can cost as much or more than I usually pay for Booker's too, though I can sometimes find it more reasonably priced. when I do I grab a bottle.

All of these come from Jim Beam. Have you had Jim Beam Black? It is well liked by a lot of my bourbon friends. I think it is good but usually find myself drinking something else.

Have you tried any of Buffalo Trace's fine bourbons?

Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Japanese Whisky

Postby Froagi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:35 am

Hi Ed. I have the Bookers and Knob Creek open now and I love both very much but give the nod to Bookers. haven't opened the Bakers yet but do have a Jim Beam Black but find it only slightly better than their regular Beam. I think the Scotch drinking is spoiling me. I was probably dropped on my head a lot as a baby so I'm not getting the flavor profile right on most whiskies. I sure love the Laphroaigs though. I forgot Basil Hayden's. that one has kind of an odd flavor to me. I will have to work with it some more and try and understand it better. I know it's an awful job but I'm willing to do it.

Cheers
Froagi

Postby Ed » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:36 am

Hi Froagi,
I think the Black is a lot better than the White, it's the difference between barely drinkable and pretty fair stuff. However, there are a lot of other bourbons that are much better than the Black so it doesn't get much attention from me. My Humble Opinion.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:33 am

I agree. A lot of people really rate JB black - calling it lower proof Booker's and the like. Well, I just don't get it. It's ok but not one to turn my head and I've been nursing a bottle for 18 months.

I tried Baker's for the first time recently and really liked it. Well worth trying and the frutiest of the JB range for me.

Basil Hayden's is right down there with JB white as one of my least favourite whiskies.

As Ed implies, you gotta try Buffalo Trace products if you haven't already: Eagle Rare 17yo, Sazerac Rye, George T. Stagg, Buffalo Trace and Blanton's (to name a few). These are all great whiskies and will regularly be listed in many American whisky fan's top 5.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Japanese Whisky

Postby Froagi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:37 pm

Hey Bamber. thanks for the interesting data on Buffalo Trace. never tried any of those so today looks good for a start. I have just run another sampling of the White, black and BH in that order and they taste and rank just like their price tag today. good better and best. I must remember not to taste bourbon after scotch. at least I'm getting some experience. I'll let it be known how the Buffalo Trace works out.

Cheers
Froagi

Postby bamber » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:41 pm

Cool. I'm sure you'll enjoy the BT.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:27 pm

There's a reason that Jim Murray rates Buffalo Trace as the best distillery in the world and the quality of the product speaks volumes.

I have limited experience with American whiskies but really enjoyed the Buffalo Trace and look forward to trying the others from the distillery.

Can we say Jim Murray's name on the forum now without Revilo freaking out? Is it safe again? :lol:
Lawrence
Matured cask

internet talks very little of Japanese whiskey

Postby littledrinker » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:58 pm

I look up "Japanese whiskey" in Google, expecting to find the history and valuable knowledge of Japanese whiskey, but end up a disappointed result. Whiskymag and Suntory website are the few places describing Japanese whiskey seriously.

Is that just it? Is there a bigger web captures "Full Bodied" Japanese whiskey history and knowlege?

:idea:
littledrinker

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:25 am

"Japanese whiskey" turns up 661 results. "Japanese whisky" produces 1350. Japanese +whisky gets 71,500.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:39 pm

Unless you can read Japanese, you really don't have many options for websites on Japanese whisky. Sad but true.

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:51 pm

About Japanese whisky - I'm participating in a tasting the coming Thursday where we'll taste among other things a Yoichi. Other than that I don't know much about it. Anyone tried it?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:51 pm

Do you know what other whiskies will be at the tasting. Japan does not have very many producers, but Nikka, and Kirin and Suntory, the three main distillers, both put out a wide range of whiskies of variable quality. As you would expect, at the bottom end of the spectrum the whiskies can be excreble, and at the top end superb.
Keep an eye out for the older expressions of Hibiki (by Suntory), Taketsuru (by Nikka), and Yamazaki (also by Suntory), as they will provide you with a good cross-section of Japanese styles. If Yoichi is available, all the better.

Please report back on the tasting. I drank a lot of Japanese whisky over the last year and have my own preferences, but I would love to hear what your impressions are.

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:47 pm

Hi Badmonkey!
Yes, I'm looking forward to tasting the Yoichi as I get the impression it's rather good. I think it'll be the only Japanese whisky featured on the tasting because it's sort of a "world of whisky" tasting. I've been told we are to try out an absolutely awful Thai whisky as well..........

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Badmonkey » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:23 am

The Yoichi 10 and the Yoichi 15 Single Cask are both outstanding. They tend to have an oilier body than other Japanese whiskies, giving them what my buddy described as a "chewy" texture. Whichever expression you get I think you'll enjoy it.

Enjoy!

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Japanese Single Malt Whisky

Postby rymon » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:59 pm

Hi Guys, I'm pasting this post over that I made to another topic earlier today... I'd recommend either of these and in my opinion are indistinuishable from Scotches and even better than many I have in my collection!

I'm just reading some of the earlier posts and I thought I'd tell you my experiences with Japanese: I've tried two.

A friend purchased the Yoichi 12yr that is sold by LCBO ($120) and we tried that... here are my notes:

Nikka Yoichi 12yr Single Malt 45% ABV
Colour: Amber

Nose - 24
Slight peat jumps out early; strong pears/apples, touch of citrus, right in your nose

Taste - 23
Touch of peaty smoke and a touch more of rich dried apricots

Finish - 23
Long finish with a touch of fresh hand rolled tobacco

Well balanced - 24

Total Score - 94

I was really impressed with this one! It was wonderful! I've since tried it one more time and was just as impressed. NOTE: DO NOT ADD WATER! It immediately washes away all flavour and nose. Trust me! Don't do it!

The second is one that I own; I got a friend who is a flight attendant to pick it up in London England from a great shop, Royal Mile Whiskies:

Suntory Hakushu 12yo 43.5% ABV
Colour: Pale Gold

Nose - 24
Fruity, with wispy peat and light honey

Taste - 24
That wispy smoke you sense on the nose, along with tons of ripe (overripe!) fruit, delicious!

Finish - 23
Lingering burn, but quick finish

Well balanced! - 23

Total score: 94

Again, DO NOT ADD WATER! Since I own this bottle (paid $48pds, approx $99CAN) I try it from time to time... and I'm consistantly impressed!

I hope this review helps out anyone who's wondering. These whisky's are indistinguishable from Scotch Whiskies. They are both excellent and easily beat out many of the SM Scotch Whisky I have in my collection.
rymon

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:03 pm

I agree with you on the Yoichi 12yo - it's a very good whisky!
Welcom to the forum rymon :)

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder