Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Jamesons whiskey and alternatives.

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Jamesons whiskey and alternatives.

Postby glyningram » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:05 am

A quick question. I don't drink whiskey very much so excuse my ignorance and stupidity. My dad loves Jameson's whiskey. Well, he likes ALL whiskeys, but, each year, whenever I try and get him alternatives for Christmas or Birthdays, he always says "it's nice, but Jameson's is the best." He says it's smooth and just a great whiskey to drink straight (or mixed). In the past, I have been £45 bottles of Skotch etc, but, each time, "nice but Jameson's is better."

Maybe that makes sense to some of you. So, if he likes this 'type' of Whiskey, can anybody out there think of an alternative that he might PREFER? Several years ago, an Irish Whiskey fan told me of another Irish Whiskey on the market that's actually superior...Any ideas??

Thanks guys.
glyningram

Jameson's

Postby Froagi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:48 am

You'll likely get much better answers but from my experience Jameson's is a very good whiskey. I actually prefer a big smokey Scotch but for sipping whiskey Jameson's is really fine. I think your Dad prefers it so looking for a Scotch to replace it is possible but not necessary. we like what we like. you could look for an older version. good whiskies get better with age.

Cheers
Froagi

Postby Admiral » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:50 am

Sounds to me like you need to stick within a flavour profile that is identifiably Irish. Consider Black Bush (a very good Irish blend), Bushmills 10 yo (an average Irish single malt), or some of the other Irish whiskies like Redbrest or Green Spot. I can't really comment on the last two, but I have no doubt contributors like Aidan can give advice on these.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:37 am

Hi there,

as the Admiral says get him a Readbreast or a Greenspot. Both of them are in a way the essence of Irish whiskey - only more so.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:13 am

If he likes Jameson's the best, why do you need to find an alternative? Just get him a bottle of Jameson's.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:21 am

Jameson's has a nice pot still tang to it that you wont get with Scotch:

These all have similar flavour profiles but are better (IMO):

Jameson's Gold
Redbreast (£20 in Waitrose at moment !)
Powers (about the same as Jameson for me)

Also consider Jameson 12yo (I prefer the standard to this one though)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:24 pm

Jameson 18yo, has he had that one or just the standard? It is much more expensive than the standard but is very good. There are a few Jameson expressions and he may like to try a different one.

Redbreast 12yo I'll vote for as well.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:42 am

OK Glyn - here's my stab at it:

It seems like there's something in the flavour profile of Jamesons that your dad likes. I'm assuming it's the standard (no age statement) bottling as opposed to the 12 or 18yr old bottlings that state this on the label. Elements that I can identify with the NAS bottling include (1) partial pot-still character, (2) a bit of sherry casking, but not dominent sherry taste, and (3) unpeated, and soft - some might say mild or austere flavour. Some have identified a metalic taste from this that has only (to my knowledge) been identified in Bushmills.

From your question, I'm getting that you wish to get your father something uberJameson - please correct me if I misunderstood.

Jameson 12, Blackbush and Redbrest are all good whiskies, but they are all heavily sherried, and this gives a significantly different flavour profile from standard Jameson. To get something with potstill character, you'd have to get a brand from Middleton distillery not Cooley.

Choices that have potstill whiskies in them and are primarily bourbon casked would be whiskies like Jameson 18 or Powers 12. I'm thinking though of Bushmills 10. I'm lothe to recommend it, but people have said it has a metallic taste to it (standard Jameson has a bit of this IMO). I'll try the Bushmills 10 on Sunday and post back on this.

Jameson 18 is real expensive, but really nice. Not sure if it's in your price range. In a pinch, I might try Auchantoshan which is a Scotch which is tripple distilled (like some Irish whiskies) and has soft, austere flavours.
Last edited by Frodo on Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Re: Jamesons whiskey and alternatives.

Postby Frodo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:45 am

glyningram wrote:Several years ago, an Irish Whiskey fan told me of another Irish Whiskey on the market that's actually superior...Any ideas??

Thanks guys.

My guess would be Powers Gold label. Similar price point to Jameson, but with more potstill character.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:18 am

Hi Glynigram

As a lot of people have said, Redbreast, Greens Spot, Powers. These would all have a similar pot still base as Jameson. Personally, I love the Jameson 12 and 18 yr old. Powers is very inexpensive, and I prefer it to Jameson.

Tullamore Dew standard is not the best Irish, but the Tullamore 12 and the Tullamore Heritage are very good and close to the Jameson flavor profile of Jameson...

Bushmills is a different kind of whiskey, so, personally, I wouldn't recommend it in this case, although it's worth trying in general, especially the excellently priced Blackbush.

Anyway, if I had to go for one and was spending about £35 to £40, I'd go for Jameson Gold, although this is hard to get. You will find it in some dutyfrees.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder