Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ben Bracken ?Tamnavulin?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Ben Bracken ?Tamnavulin?

Postby nebula21 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:25 am

hi all

my colleague asked me about Ben Bracken 12 years old single malt whisky

i didn't know about Ben Bracken distillery.

but i found that Ben Bracken and Tamnavulin are same whisky.

is it right?
Last edited by nebula21 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
nebula21

Postby kallaskander » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:04 am

Hi there,

here in Germany Ben Bracken is a 12 year old Speyside single malt which is sold by a well known food and groceries discounter. The discounter is named LIDL and sold the Ben Bracken first about two years ago during the Christmas business.
It is the common believe that it is a Tomintoul and there are some whisky alias lists in the internet where Ben Bracken is named as Tomintoul. A few weeks ago they had a 16 year old Ben Bracken.
The 12 I have tried. Definitively a Speyside malt but nothing spectacular. Considering the price a reasonably good everyday malt.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby nebula21 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:26 am

hi kallaskander

first Thanks for your kind information.

but I got confused at the unexpected answer.

i have known Ben Bracken and Tamnavulin are same whisky because of following sentence

AND here comes a SERIOUS advice for whisky lovers from countries that have the discount food chain LIDL. So basically this might be mainly for GERMANS:

Lidl actually sells a speyside called "Ben Bracken 12 yrs" for ONLY 11.99 Yuros. If you are into smooth, sweet and honey-ish malts - BUY THAT SHIT! It's great for every day drinking or if your parents come to visit. After some research and tastings I found out where it's coming from and what it is. It's indeed a 12yrs Speyside, called Tamnavulin. I'm very much into Tamnavulin. The distillery closed down 5 years ago and it always was a hassle to get a bottle of this fine malt. I once got one on ebay and considered myself happy. Now it became obvious that the former owners of Tamnavulin sold some casks to LIDL markets and they now sell it as Ben Bracken. I tasted it and compared it to my Tamnavulin. It definitely is exactly the same whisky. I myself bought 5 bottles. So go ahead before it disappears. If you sometimes like stuff like Glen Deveron, Glenlivet, Glen Ord or Tormore check it out!

http://www.hellridemusic.com/forum/show ... 210&page=4

also many german internet imformation say Ben Bracken Tamnavulin whisky are same whisky

what do you think about this imformation .

finally again I would like to thank you for sparing time to answer my question
nebula21

Postby kallaskander » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:16 am

Hi there,

sorry Nebula. I think I was in the fog for a moment. You are right of course, it is a Tamnavulin more likely not a Tomintoul most probably. :oops:

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby nebula21 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:19 pm

kallaskander !

that's all right and i alwalys thank you for your kindness!
nebula21

Ben Bracken - Tamnavulin

Postby cypriun » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:37 pm

Ben Bracken is made by Clydesdale Scotch Whiskey Co Ltd which is part of the Whyte & Mackay group.

The onley Speyside they make is Tamnavulin Single Speyside Malt : 12 Year Old

So I suspect that this is what Ben Bracken is. It can be bought at LIDL's

Tamnavulin Single Speyside Malt : 12 Year Old
Tamnavulin Speyside takes its name from Tomnavoulin, which in Gaelic means "mill on the hill". The distillery sits on the banks of Allt a Choire - "The stream of the corrie" - a tributary of the great River Livet.

Epitomising the essence of Speyside, this single malt is as delicate and sweet as heather, as light as sunlight on water, with just a memory of peat smoke.

The mellow and light aroma, the mature, gentle oak flavour and the pronounced long lasting finish when combined, create a malt that truly deserves its title - 'Queen of Speyside'.

Colour :
Natural Gold

Nose :
Well matured with a light, sweet, slightly floral bouquet.

Taste :
Medium weight with a bright invigorating slightly smoky flavour.
cypriun

Postby Iain » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:28 am

re "Considering the price a reasonably good everyday malt."

I would say that, considering the price here in the Uk (£12) this is actually a very, very good everyday malt. A Speyside of similar quality costs £20-£24 here.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder