Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A heavy, oaky malty scotch, well aged.

All your whisky related questions answered here.

A heavy, oaky malty scotch, well aged.

Postby Evangelion2014 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:20 am

So my tax return is coming this month, and I'm trying to figure out a well aged (think around 18 years or more, possibly less if the flavor is intense enough) woody, intense whisky. I have a bunch of peat bombs with the Laph 18, QC, CS, as well as Ardbeg oogy and Corryvreckan, and the spicy, fruity glory of the Nadurra (eventually I'll get more bright speysiders to join it), but the only whiskys that really showcase oak are my Glenfiddich 18 and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. I love the deep nuttiness of the 18, and the minty, dry red wine and chocolate character of the Ruban. I like chocolate, coffee, nutty, and dry wine notes, as well as caramel, brine, toffee and saltiness, peat is a plus too, but many wine aged scotches don't have much maritime or peaty character. I'm looking for something far less sweet than the macallan 12, which I find cloying. Also, a scotch that masterfully balances peat and sherry/oak such as the oogy would be nice as well, but they don't seem to come at higher age ranges.
Evangelion2014

Re: A heavy, oaky malty scotch, well aged.

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:49 am

Evangelion2014 wrote:I like chocolate, coffee, nutty, and dry wine notes, as well as caramel, brine, toffee and saltiness, peat is a plus too, but many wine aged scotches don't have much maritime or peaty character.

If you can get over the labeled age, your description is pretty much a dead ringer for an old Springbank 10yo double dark. Despite the fact that it has some younger whisky blended into it, the average age is allegedly VERY old.

Another potential candidate would be the Highland Park 25yo -- the old one that was bottled at 50.7%. It goes for a pretty penny on auctions.

I guess any suggestion would depend on how big your tax return is.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:27 pm

Peer refers to the Springbank 12 yo 100 proof. As the story goes, the 12 yo whisky (youngest) was brought down to 100 proof (50% in the US) by means of lower proof whisky (ie older) instead of the traditional method of bringing it down with water. Remember, the UK uses a slightly different proof system so 100 proof is actually 57%. It is said to come in two varieties: double dark and light dark. The first references use of sherry casks and the second references the use of bourbon casks. What I can tell you is that it is AWESOME whisky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskgeek » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:46 am

Evangelion2014 wrote:I love the deep nuttiness of the 18, and the minty, dry red wine and chocolate character of the Ruban. I like chocolate, coffee, nutty, and dry wine notes, as well as caramel, brine, toffee and saltiness...

Keep an eye out for Blackadder's 1990 21y Balblair (56.4%). :thumbsup:
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder