Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Compass Box Peat Monster?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Compass Box Peat Monster?

Postby jeffk » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:05 am

So my tastes are for Islays, I LOVE Ardbeg 10, and Lagavulin 16 is right up there with it. I like the richness and full body of the Ardbeg, along of course with the peat.

I'm looking at trying Compass Box's Peat Monster, and wondering if anyone could help me compare it to Ardbeg and Lagavulin? Is it similar? More or less peat? How's the body and palate? I know it's vatted and I'm ok with a blend, just looking for a nice sippable peat delight in addition to the others mentioned.

Thanks...
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:21 am

I've only tried it once...and it's similar to Ardbeg and Lagavulin in the same way that Bruichladdich is. It's actually pretty good, IMHO...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:23 am

Nice sippable peat delight sums up the peat in the Peat Monster. So, if you find this in Ardbeg, Laphroaig etc you might find peat monster lacking compared to what you have tried. Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin can serve up intense peaty flavours which a lot of peat fans (me included crave). Sometimes however you look for a balance and I think peat monster has it. Plenty of smoke and peat but balanced with a rich and smooth under-belly. Deffinately a whisky to try, just don't expect it to be as powrfull as what you have had.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Wendy » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:17 am

Dazzler: You have made a lovely comment on Compass Box - Peat Monster. As I have posted elsewhere, I found Peat Monster to not be overwhelmingly peaty, but "a warm wave of smoke and peat with a silky mouthfeel." umm...sounds like friendly fire to me.
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:33 am

A nice whisky, a plus that it's bottled at 46%abv. :wink:
I found that some IB's of younger Islays had more of what i was looking for in more of a edgier peatiness and extreme flavors and turned out to be a better value too.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby mar_mcdo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:04 pm

has anyone tried big smoke from duncan taylor? i thought the 40 and 60 were both really good drams, very intense but well balanced also.
mar_mcdo

Postby Frodo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:21 am

Hi jeffk:

Peat Monster is like a younger cousin to the southern Islays. The biggest difference is that the nose on the Monster is less intense and the finish shorter. Having said that, it does have some interesting flavour development that I found interesting.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby jeffk » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:07 am

Thanks everyone for the replies!
jeffk
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder