Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Could someone explain what a "dram" is?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Could someone explain what a "dram" is?

Postby Pithecanthropus » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:15 pm

I notice the word 'dram' is used quite a bit here, as is also 'unit' (of alcohol consumption.

Could someone explain what those are in relation to a typical American jigger of about 1 1/2 ounces?

Also, I thought a dram was a quite small amount, like no more than a finger in a shot glass.
Pithecanthropus

Postby jeffk » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:32 pm

Technically, it's about 0.06 ounces:

http://www.google.com/search?q=1+dram+i ... S:official

But I think most people just think of it as a portion of whisky. Personally, my portions are small, about 1/2 of an inch at the bottom of my snifter. Which is probably about 1/2 a shot glass or so. That can last me a good half hour or so, taking small sips, trying to read and understand the whisky of the evening.
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:08 am

There are several technical definitions of dram, depending on the context; but none of them apply. Yes, it's just a single serving, and one man's dram is another man's bathtub. Standard serving in the UK is 35ml, or 1 1/4 oz.

"Units of alcohol" are standardized units used for public health education purposes. One of the UK residents can tell you exactly what it comprises--so many ounces or millilitres of beer, wine, or liquor, at a presumed standard strength..
Deactivated Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:19 am

To me a dram is just a measure of whisky, but that measure can be large, medium or small (no, sorry, never small).

Or, to put it another way, its a single unit of whisky, regardless of amount.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby nicholtl » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:32 am

For me, a "dram" is simply a glass of whisky, which for me, is about 4-5oz of the stuff.
nicholtl
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:54 am

Well, nicholtl, that puts a different light on your having two drams a night. Now you're talking about 8-10 ounces, or 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle. For me, a dram is an ounce to an ounce and a quarter; one of your drams is worth four of mine.
Deactivated Member

Postby nicholtl » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:15 am

8-10oz isn't quite 1/3 of a bottle, is it? Perhaps I'm overestimating then... 2 drams for me usually takes out about 1/5 to 1/6 of the bottle.
nicholtl
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:06 am

You may find this topic useful - What is a dram
Matt2

Postby GreyArea » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:58 pm

Can't remember where I read it (either 'Raw Spirit' or one of MJ's books I think) but I've always rather liked:

A dram is a measure of whisky that is pleasing to both guest and host.

Sums it up rather nicely for me :-)

Jim
GreyArea
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:33 am

A dram is a measure of whisky, the size of which depends on the generosity of the pourer.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby JWFokker » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:43 am

nicholtl wrote:8-10oz isn't quite 1/3 of a bottle, is it? Perhaps I'm overestimating then... 2 drams for me usually takes out about 1/5 to 1/6 of the bottle.

1oz is 29.6ml, which means that a 750ml bottle has 25.3oz in it. That would make 8-10oz, 1/3 to nearly a half a bottle. I think you mean 4-5oz (about 1/5 a bottle), which is still a substantial amount. Your monthly whisky bill must be quite expensive. If I went through a bottle every five or six nights, I'd be quite depressed at my financial wellbeing. Maybe you can afford it, but I think you should probably look into bourbon or vodka for a cheaper drink if you go through it that quickly.
JWFokker

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder