Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Good whiskypub in Aberdeen?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Good whiskypub in Aberdeen?

Postby Bunkermania » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:09 pm

I'm planning a trip to Speyside next year and the last night we will stay in Aberdeen, so I thought it would be nice to finish off the trip with a nice whiskypub in Aberdeen. Anyone who can give me a suggestion where to go?
Magnus
Bunkermania

Postby susywong » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:14 am

Hi,

The Illicit Still is quite good for whiskies in Aberdeen, and it's pretty easy to get to.

On the main street, Union Street, there is a big shop called Esselmont and MAckintosh. Next to that shep there is a small lane, and the Illicit still is at the bottom of it!

Cheers
Susan
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby dandantheweatherman » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:41 pm

Sorry, but I don't agree with this. I think the Illicit Still isn't so good. It's a twee, modern pub pretending to be old. There's nothing special about it.

I work in Aberdeen from time to time and a bloke I work there with recommends The Grill on Union Street. It looks rough, but apparently it has a great range of whisky.

I also find Blackfriars quite pleasant, and the Tilted Wig is good too.
dandantheweatherman

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:39 am

Dandan, do you know which of those, besides Blackfriars, might have cask ale as well?
Deactivated Member

Postby dandantheweatherman » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:51 pm

Blackfriars and the Tilted Wig both have cask ales, as does Archibald Simpsons across the road. This one isn't a particularly nice pub though. I've never been to the Prince of Wales but http://www.goodguides.co.uk/pubs seems to rate it and this web site is usually OK.

Here's more about the Grill http://www.goodguides.co.uk/pubs/pubdet ... 1195642218.
dandantheweatherman

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:10 pm

Prince of Wales is great for beer, but the last time I was there, the malt selection was negligible. Next to nothing, really! I like the place, though. Hope they're through their financial difficulties.
Deactivated Member

Postby susywong » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:52 am

I used to live in Aberdeen, and suggested the Illicit still, not for it's theme and decor, but for it's range of whiskies.

As for the grill, unless it's had a refit since i was there last, there are no ladies toilets in the place and the whisky range is ok, but not great. as far as i remember, it was a dirty wee pub full of old men and their dogs..

Blackfriars is ok, the food is quite good, and the Prince of Wales is a great wee bar. Their whisky selection is limited, but the beers are great!

Susan
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby Bunkermania » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:57 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. It might be so that we stay all nights in Aberdeen as we find it hard to get affordable accomodation in Speyside. maybe we can try out a few of the suggestions above.
Bunkermania

Postby susywong » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:54 am

Have you tried the follwing places for accomodation?

Highlander Inn, Craigellachie
The Mason Arms, Dufftown
Eastbank Hotel, Rothes
The Ben Aigen Hotel, Rothes
The Seafield Hotel, Rothes

ALso, there are a few B&Bs in Dufftown, Craigellachie and Aberlour, as well as a few decent hotels in Elgin...

Susan
susywong
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder