Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Uigeadail - what makes it "good"?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Uigeadail - what makes it "good"?

Postby jeffk » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:11 pm

I just came home with a bottle of Uigeadail, and tried a small dram, neat.

It's very nice, with a long finish, and not as much peat as I was expecting.

I've heard so many people say this is the best malt they've ever had. I'm curious, if you feel it's exceptional, what is it about that malt that makes it so? Don't get me wrong, I think it's very good, I'm just trying to open my mind a bit more.

I'm comparing this to other Islays, like Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10 and Lagavulin 16.

I was going to get a bottle of Laphroaig 10 CS, but they were all out :(

jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby STella » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:51 pm

It's mostly early 90s malt with a bit of older sherry casked stock. ( I do hope Ardbeg have enough of this " Older Sherry Stock" to keep this and the Lord going.

Its at cask strength which helps. The early 90s stuff comes from some good quality casks so thank you Allied!!

STella.
STella

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:51 am

The taste, first, second, third etc

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:29 am

I opened a bottle the other day and, not having had any in quite a while, was really wowed by the first dram. The second and third drams didn't hit me as well, so I think it's not a session dram for me--a once-in-a-whiler. If all you want is smack-in-the-head peat, it's probably not the one for you, although I think it has plenty. But it has lots more, as well.

If it doesn't strike you that way, c'est la vie. I thought Lord Of The Isles was a very nice dram, but nothing to rave about; that's the way it goes.

I was told by someone today that the earliest release of Uigeadail was the best, thanks to the older casks involved--anybody have an opinion on that?
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:32 am

Hi TH ,
i've H-T-H'd the first and what i think was the 3rd release (the 1st sold out , the 2nd had a bottling year on it so......) and i couldn't tell the difference . I must admit i prefer the TEN for the full on peat attack .
Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:42 am

Hi there,

I think the first Uigedail was made with old casks from1975. Considering Ardbeg´s history there could not have been too many of those. To keep up the concept behind the Uigedail they would have been forced to use other casks most probably from later years which might not have been of the same quality. As far as I have seen bottlings of Uigedal there have been three batches so far.

The concept behind the Lord was similar and old casks become scarce at Ardbeg. I read somewhere they have already started buying casks back from independent bottlers. (Not to sure on this, though).

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:50 am

For me, I like several aspects of the Uigedail:

1. Great peat!
2. Nice sherry sweetness.
3. Cask strength

If your used to the standard 10yo offering, the Uigedail offers a very different flavour profile.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:27 pm

Lately I'm much preferring Oogie to TEN. I can't say exactly why, TEN is peatier but Oogie is sweeter and more complex. I only have one dram of either of them in a night usually so no problems with sessions here.

I think it is the old Ardbeg in it that I like. I've heard '76 or '75 and '75 is one of my favorite years of Ardbeg. Perhaps that's why I like it but the extra hint of sherried sweetness is nice as well.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:12 am

The "Oog" to me is a grown up 10. It's mellow, rich and not as unruly as the mischievous youngster.
An oilier mouthfeel seems to hold and convey the flavours better than the thiner 10 and 17. It does not have the fire that some CS inject - not bad thing - and initially I thought it to be it around 48-50% ABV.
I have to agree with TH though - the first dram always seems be the best - but what a dram :D
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:19 pm

Can't wait to try it! Salavating already...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:56 pm

Admiral wrote:For me, I like several aspects of the Uigedail:

1. Great peat!
2. Nice sherry sweetness.
3. Cask strength

Exactly my thoughts - couldn't put it better. I'm just glad, there is still one Uigeadail unopened and waiting for the appropriate occasion...
bernstein
Gold Member

Re: Uigeadail - what makes it "good"?

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:28 am

jeffk wrote:I just came home with a bottle of Uigeadail, and tried a small dram, neat.

It's very nice, with a long finish, and not as much peat as I was expecting.

I've heard so many people say this is the best malt they've ever had. I'm curious, if you feel it's exceptional, what is it about that malt that makes it so? Don't get me wrong, I think it's very good, I'm just trying to open my mind a bit more.

I'm comparing this to other Islays, like Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10 and Lagavulin 16.

I was going to get a bottle of Laphroaig 10 CS, but they were all out :(

for my money it isnt the best though it is very good. i do think though it is one of the most unique i have had.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Tom » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:57 pm

Not the best either, though I'd call it the best "affordeble" Ardbeg.

For me the balance between peat and sherry does it while they did it so that the sherry is not overpowering the complexity and other flavor components. There's more to it then strength, peat and sherry in this one and that's how I like my malts.
Tom
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder