Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig - CS Red Stripe

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Laphroaig - CS Red Stripe

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:04 am

Hi All,
Just received a bottle of Laphroaig Original Cask Strength Red Stripe, a friend brought it back to me in the States from his trip to Scotland. It is glorious to say the least.....Can anyone shed a bit more light on the 'red label'. It seems there are a variety of Cask Strength Laphroaigs about. Also how do you know what year bottling you have ? I've searched the web but haven't found to much on it , and it doesn''t seem like it is all that readily available in the states.
It is really a lovely malt, novice as I am, I do truely recognize that I am in the presence of greatness, I am curious to know more about my new found treasure.
Last edited by JohnyyGuitar on Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:09 am

Hi there,

what does red label imply? I know the CS has a red stripe saying "Cask Strength" and newer bottlings have a green stripe saying the same.
The bottle contents and strengths are different. Is that what red label means?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Opps - I stand corrected

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:04 pm

Correction: I meant red stripe, I went back and edit my original message and heading....sorry bout that
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:19 am

The "green stripe" was the first release. Subsequent releases have had a red stripe instead. There does not appear to have been much conjecture as to whether one is necessarily better than the other, although the ABV's are different between each release.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:21 am

Hi there,

no sweat. I think the Admiral has answered to the point. I have a bottle of each of the expressions still unopened. But my curiosity does not go far enough to open them and compare them side by side. Sorry for that. :wink:

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Good Stuff

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:49 pm

What little I was able to find and read on the web, confirms my findings............it's goooooooooooood stuff, rated highly.
Somefolks said, red stripe, green stripe, different, uses to be different, use to be this, use to be that...........
I had asked my friend to pick me up a bottle of something while he as in Scotland that would be harder to find in the States....and it does appear that Lap CS red/green is not easily found here, even online. I think I found it at one place but they didn't ship to my state.
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder