Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Springbank 100 Cask Strength - disappointing?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Springbank 100 Cask Strength - disappointing?

Postby Tyson » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:40 pm

Just picked up a bottle of this last night and expectations were high after my very good experiences previously with Springbank 12, Springbank Anniversary 175, Springbank 15, Springbank Rum finish, and the Springbank 10, all distillery bottlings.

But the 100 CS seems to have little to none of the salty/sweet intensity and richness of the other bottlings. In fact it seems much closer to a Glenfiddich than to a Campbeltown whisky (ie, good but somewhat anonymous tasting.

Anyone else tried this bottling? Thoughts?
Tyson

Postby Tyson » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:23 am

No one has tried this?

I gave it another chance last night and didn't dilute it at all this time. Much better. Quite a bit of bite from the alcohol but the other flavors came through strong, with that traditional salty sweet flavor endemic to this distillery. I'd now put it slightly ahead of the standard 10 year old bottling, but not ahead of any of the 12 year old or older bottlings.
Tyson

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:30 am

Di Blasi mentioned it under Q&A, thread titled "100 Proof?". Said it was "excellent!", and aught else.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:35 am

The last sip I had was about 6 months ago. I thought it was a superb dram and I will likely add it to my collection next month. In any event, I am glad to see that you enjoyed the second round more than the first. Some whiskies take a while to grow on you. I felt the same way when I first tried Dalwhinnie, but I've long since learned to love it.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:56 pm

I opened my bottle of 100 proof last night and first impressions are almost identical to the regular 10yo with a bigger kick. Intense sweet, salt, sour, tart with an aspirin finish. As with most Springbanks it will mellow a lot with time , so I'll leave it alone for awhile so I can finish off my 12yo Rum Wood.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder