Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bruichladdich

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Bruichladdich

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:13 pm

I noticed on the store shelf a new Bruichladdich that goes by the title "Rocks". The Whisky Bible 2006 does not appear to refer to it by name, so I'd like to know whether anyone has had the pleasure of sampling it and how it stacks up against the other Bruichladdichs.

Cheers

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:25 pm

Hi there,

the Laddie Rocks is one of the new and controversial malts from Jim McEwan. The name Rocks refers to the image on the tin box and the fact that Bruichladdich says you can drink the malt "on the rocks". Shocking.
It is rather sweet from the start, pleasent and harmoniuous. If you look for peat it is disappointing. I have not tasted it on the rocks but I was told, the sweetness is subdued if you do so. It was discussed elsewhere in this forum, controversial as I said. But I do not think it is such an outcry like others do. In fact, you can come to like it. Here in Germany it is rather inexpensive as well.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:04 pm

Craig:

Jim McEwan discusses the Rocks in great detail in Episode 2 of WhiskyCast...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:58 pm

Bruichladdich rocks in available from the Morrison's chain of supermarkets.

It's a wonderfully complex whisky. Slightly heavier in peat than the standard Laddie and slightly winey. A drop of water unlocks a lot of flavour. It's also the cheapest Laddie and definitely the one to buy, at the price.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:37 am

Interesting how this bottling seems to be different things to different people. But that's whisky, isn't it?
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:48 am

Indeed it is. Out of an abundance of caution, I'll probably have to buy myself a bottle just to see which of you is lying!

Mark, thanks for the heads up on the podcast. I am about to plug into episodes 1 and 2.

Cheers, everyone
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:12 am

Hi there,

don´t you trust us, Badmonkey? Well you should. We all lie to you while we tell our truth about whisky to you. :lol:

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:19 am

kallaskander wrote:Hi there,

the Laddie Rocks is one of the new and controversial malts from Jim McEwan. The name Rocks refers to the image on the tin box and the fact that Bruichladdich says you can drink the malt "on the rocks". Shocking.
It is rather sweet from the start, pleasent and harmoniuous. If you look for peat it is disappointing. I have not tasted it on the rocks but I was told, the sweetness is subdued if you do so. It was discussed elsewhere in this forum, controversial as I said. But I do not think it is such an outcry like others do. In fact, you can come to like it. Here in Germany it is rather inexpensive as well.

Greetings
kallaskander

i could not understand why anyone would have an outcry over this. if it sells so be it the market will decide. it is not like anyone is forced to drink it.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:29 am

patrick dicaprio wrote:i could not understand why anyone would have an outcry over this. if it sells so be it the market will decide. it is not like anyone is forced to drink it.

Pat

If people don't drink it, that leaves all the more for me. 8)

Rocks is the best OB Bruichladdich I've had and miles ahead of the age statement bottlings I've had. The 3d is not far behind.

It's also cheaper than the 10 year old, at least here in Scotland.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:54 pm

I bought a bottle in December and just opened it.

The whisky has changed hugely. It's much sweeter and redder and I'm guessing it's been port finished.

Still a great dram but tastes nothing like the version my mum had.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:06 pm

As people have mentioned - it is / was available at Morrisons supermarkets. In fact, originally they had exclusivity for a while before it hit the general market.

I have a couple of bottles but haven't as yet opened one.

All reports I have personally heard have slated it. With some people even saying it has "put malt whisky back by 10 years". Although I don't see how this can be.

The reports on here which praise it tend to give me hope, as yet I haven't found a bad OB Laddie and was wondering why this was supposedly so bad.
OK, so the image is "on the rocks", but even though this would not be my own taste, it doesn't NEED to be on the rocks and, if it is fresh and light, then it sounds like a good Summer tipple during the (hopefully) hot Munich evenings to come.

I have noticed that the tin design and bottle label are of "The Rock of Ages" and was wondering if this would be the start of a series, á la Links.
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:55 am

WhiskyHammer wrote:
All reports I have personally heard have slated it. With some people even saying it has "put malt whisky back by 10 years". Although I don't see how this can be.

How can it have put whisky back 10 years? :?

My mum had her first bottling ranked as the best whisky ever and she does like the current 'redder' bottling.

I also gave my mate a bottle for his birthday and he thought it was brilliant.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:29 am

I've a bottle of Rocks lurking in my cupboard. First impression was not that brilliant. On a second taste a few weeks later it was better but still not what I'd hoped for from a laddie. It was the balance that I couldn't get - but that just may be me.
I thought it needed a little more peat coming through to bring it to life. A good enough whisky though and I suspect most whisky drinkers will find it quite acceptable.
Haven't tried it with ice yet. Perhaps as an experiment in the summer, though if it does taste better chilled, I'd probably keep it in my fridge rather than dilute with ice.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder