Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin 16yr losing its smoky nose and taste

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Lagavulin 16yr losing its smoky nose and taste

Postby lexvo » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:33 pm

Hi,

A few weeks ago I bought and opened a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr. I like the smoky nose and taste.

However, the bottle is now a few weeks opened and the smoke is almost gone! I store my bottles upright in a cabinet at room temperature.

A few days ago I had a Lagavulin 16yr in a hotel and here was that nice smoky taste and nose again. So I think my taste hasn't changed.

I know that the taste of a whisky will change a bit over time, but I didn't expect this to happen in just a few weeks time. I've had more or less the same expierence with a bottle of Balvanie DoubleWoud, albeit over 2-3 months time.

So, am I doing something wrong?

BTW, I searched topics about storing whisky and the general opinion seems that one can store an opened bottle at least over 6 months.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:05 pm

I seem to be in the minority here as I often report observed changes in taste between first and second openings, a few weeks later, a few months after that and strongly a year later. I prefer to finish my whiskies quickly for the most part, though there are some with off notes and tastes which improve with time as long as the off note leaves more quickly than the good ones.

As for what you did wrong, how is the cork? I've had bad corks from Diageo.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:53 am

Very peculiar! Perhaps it is the Demons' Share.
Deactivated Member

Postby lexvo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:57 am

hpulley wrote:I seem to be in the minority here as I often report observed changes in taste between first and second openings, a few weeks later, a few months after that and strongly a year later. I prefer to finish my whiskies quickly for the most part, though there are some with off notes and tastes which improve with time as long as the off note leaves more quickly than the good ones.

As for what you did wrong, how is the cork? I've had bad corks from Diageo.

Harry

The cork looks OK, but I'm no expert on this. Could be that it doesn't close well.

Is there a list or something of whiskys that loose their character or taste relatively fast? I already have the following personal expierence:

Lagavulin 16yr - loses character within a couple of weeks
Balvanie DoubleWood - loses character withing 2-3 months
MacAllan Fine Oak - changes taste, but it seems to taste better to me
Glenmorangie 10yr - doesn't change much in my opinion
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby lexvo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:59 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Very peculiar! Perhaps it is the Demons' Share.

Sorry, english isn't my native language. What do you mean by 'Demons' Share'?

What cought me by suprise is that the Lagavulin looses its character so fast (within weeks instead of months).
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:31 pm

Alcohol tends to evaporate in the whisky casks during maturation, this phenomenon is called as Angel's Share. So maybe it is then "Demon's Share" that runs out the alcohol from the whisky in the bottle. :twisted:
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:11 pm

Yes, just a little jest on the Angels' Share, and the smoky, phenolic character of the dram in question, which one might suppose to be to the demons' liking. They drew it off with a straw. You will perhaps have to have your home exorcised!
Deactivated Member

Postby lexvo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:29 pm

Ize wrote:Alcohol tends to evaporate in the whisky casks during maturation, this phenomenon is called as Angel's Share. So maybe it is then "Demon's Share" that runs out the alcohol from the whisky in the bottle. :twisted:

Thanks, Ize!
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby lexvo » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:30 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:You will perhaps have to have your home exorcised!

:lol: :lol:
lexvo
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder