Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Let's save the Balvenie 10

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Let's save the Balvenie 10

Postby WestVanDave » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:26 am

Word has started to spread about the possible elimination of The Balvenie 10 - Founder's Reserve. :cry: :cry: :cry: :?

Peter Gordon (of the Grant family clan) was in Calgary, Alberta a few weeks ago - and he shared the story of the pending demise of the Balvenie 10; how it didn't have a fit in the line going forward and that there was greater interest in the Balvenie 12 DW and older expressions. Jim Murray was in attendance at this Tasting hosted by Peter. Jim and I sat and listened... and then Jim shared with those in the room his fond memories of time spent at The Balvenie and his respect for David Stewart - as one of the greats. Jim later chatted with Peter and did his best to share his views.

The Balvenie 10 is a great whisky - not finished, like the 12 Doublewood and not single barrel bottlings like the 15 - it deserves recognition for what it is and should not be shot down by the "age biased"... It would be a huge mistake to discontinue this fine example of how good a young, quality whisky can be.

Perhaps a few voices in support of The Balvenie would be helpful to the folks at Wm. Grants ... Comments?

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:26 am

That's further proof of what a great event was put on in Calgary last month, Dave.

Have sales for the Balvenie 10 really tailed off that much? It would be a shame to see such a lively and rich malt fall by the wayside (though I have no complaints about the Double-Wood or the Port Finish). I'm happy to show my support for the Balvenie 10 via my Amex card again -- it's a lot of whisky for a very reasonable price.

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:16 am

I'm in, lets write them and express out disappointment with their decision.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:36 pm

And good timing, too. It's on sale at my local store for $38US. :D
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Photon » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:49 pm

That would be depressing. Balvenie 10, along with Highland Park 12, is what I use to try and lure new whisky enthusiasts. Both are good flavorful whiskys. It would be loss. :cry:

P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby bernstein » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:55 pm

I sympathize fullheartedly with your effort, Dave. But folks at William Grant & Sons have made up their minds a long time ago, I'm afraid. Peter Clarke, their Business Development Manager (Europe) e-mailed this to me on May 31st concerning the future of the Balvenie 10:

Peter Clarke wrote:"(...) there is, I'm happy to say, still plenty of supplies of 10yo for the immediate future in Germany. The Balvenie team in Scotland is constantly looking at new ways to maximise the best from Balvenie stocks and with the worldwide consumer demand for Balvenie 12yo growing year by year the longer term plan is to re-position The Balvenie with its starting age at 12years.
However, the range for different Balvenie products will continue to be pushed and in addition to the 12yo there will be an on-going vintage 13yo - this year it is the 1991, a 15yo Single Barrel & 21 Portwood yo, plus the top of the range 30yo.
I hope that these will continue to impress you and that there will be more than enough to choose from this year and in the longer term future."

:cry:
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:21 pm

Stock up. A handful of letters from enthusiasts, no matter how impassioned, cannot stand up to the masses of consumers voting with their wallets.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:35 pm

If you feel like attacking it on another front, here are two email addresses;

david.stewart@wgrant.com and ludovic.ducrocq@wgrant.com

Both are in a position to pass on info to the decision makers.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Dan G » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:43 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Stock up. A handful of letters from enthusiasts, no matter how impassioned, cannot stand up to the masses of consumers voting with their wallets.

I haven't had the 10 yo before, but the 12Double Wood was what got me drinking scotch. Based on this, I picked up a couple bottles of 10 yo on my way home last night. $36 Cdn each at my local Sobey's (might have been cheaper at Real Canadian, but it wasn't on my route). Stashed them in the back of the cabinet... need to finsh off a few other things that have been open for a year or so before I sample one.
Dan G

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:13 am

Hey guys, haven't we already discussed this previously in two other threads!!

The latest word was that the Balvenie 10 was being withdrawn from most markets, but would still be available in a select few, and especially in duty free.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby JWFokker » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:23 am

I thought it was still going to be available in the US? But to be honest, the Doublewood is a better whisky and for just a few dollars more, I think it's definitely worth it. If there were a bigger price difference, I might be more concerned.
JWFokker

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:23 am

As I have mentioned elsewhere, for some inexplicable reason the 12 is actually a dollar cheaper per bottle than the 10 at my local emporium. Not gonna sell much 10 that way.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder