Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ever make your own vattings?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Ever make your own vattings?

Postby Tyson » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:41 am

I had a bottle of Dalmore Cigar malt that I liked, but it just didn't have enough bite. On the other hand, I had a Signatory unchillfiltered Bowmore 12 that had a little 2 much bite. So I mixed the 2 in equal parts and thoroughly enjoyed the results. Anyone else do any mixing experiments?
Tyson

Postby Aidan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:51 am

I always wondered what an Irish Distillers whiskey would be like with a little bit of smoke. I added a tiny amount of Laphroig to some Redbreast. I think if you could get the proportions right, it would be quite good.

I've done a few other experiments too, but can't really remember the results.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:20 pm

I've put a little C/S in with a Lagavulin 16 to try to simulate the Laga 12 C/S for decision making purposes, but it didn't integrate too well. I think maybe I need to marry them both into a small bottle and let set for a few days. Would that make a difference? Vatting is an art form I believe and I don't seem to have the patience in getting that technical.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:24 pm

You might be interested in this article on my site... http://www.peatfreak.com/art-HomeVatting.php
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:33 pm

I have tried this a few times, trying to mix Irish and Islay to make a Connemara Peated style whiskey. But it really doesn't seem to work very well. Dominic has suggested it needs to stand for some time to really mix together (7-10 weeks).

I have a few half empty bottles I am just not going to get through, so I was thinking of buying a little cask and put it all in there for a year or two. Could be fun :?
Matt2

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:44 pm

Making your own 'finish' is a whole lot different then making your own vatted malt though...

But I bet it can be great fun as well :) Hmm, buy some Laphroaig CS and make your own QC fr example.....
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:37 pm

Matt Page wrote:I have tried this a few times, trying to mix Irish and Islay to make a Connemara Peated style whiskey. But it really doesn't seem to work very well. Dominic has suggested it needs to stand for some time to really mix together (7-10 weeks).

I have a few half empty bottles I am just not going to get through, so I was thinking of buying a little cask and put it all in there for a year or two. Could be fun :?

Matt - You can get little casks here http://www.1000oaksbarrel.com/. Also, there's a new Connemara being released for the Celtic Whiskey Shop in Dublin - a 13 year old. I'd say it's going to be expensive, though.

And I believe that scotch whisky is married together in blends for much longer than Irish blends. I think it's because there are only a few constituents in and Irish blend, while there are much more in a scotch blend.
Aidan

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:43 pm

I thought marrying is done in steel containers?
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:03 pm

Jeroen,

Yes it is. I was responding to two different things, really. Sometimes, but rarely, I think, whiskies are blended and rebarrelled. This was done for the Midleton 1967.
Aidan

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:08 pm

Ahh ok then :)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:19 pm

Does anybody remember the conversation a while ago about people freezing their malt and removing the ice crystals and the resulting whisky being cask strength? Did anybody here try it?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:22 pm

Freeze-distillation???

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby andrewfenton » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:04 pm

A'Bunadh + Ardbeg10.

An abomination to be sure, but it certainly tastes good.....
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:19 pm

Andrew - are you using the alphabet method of blending? Have you tried Balvenie and Ben Nevis yet?
Aidan

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:57 pm

Tomintoul 10 and G&M Longmorn 12 makes a lovely sweet dram. Adding An Cnoc 12 ruins it.

I also had a cask strength North British (very bourbony) which I added 1 measure of Dalmore cigar malt and 10 ml of water to make a cracking blended whisky.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:37 am

One night, I poured out the last of a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon, and, it turned out to be only half my usual pour. So, I took the opportunity to try an in-the-glass vatting, and selected some Aberlour A'Bunadh Batch #7, mixing it 50/50. The two worked well together - the sherried sweetness of the A'Bunadh complemented the bourbon nicely.
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:36 pm

I had a little Aberlour 10yo left in the glass and added normal Glenfiddich 12yo and that seemed quite nice!
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Jenkinson » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:17 am

I can't justify $90 CDN for a bottle of Lagavulin 16, so the other night I mixed some Aberlour 10 with Laphroaig 10, with slightly more of the latter.

It tasted closer to Lagavulin than Laphroaig alone, with the syrupy sweetness of Aberlour filling out the thinness and dryness of the Laphroaig. (Perhaps it's just the bottle I have now, but I've definitely had 'fuller' and more oily/salty Laphroaig in the past).

Needless to say, the result was not even close to as integrated as the real thing, but was definitely interesting. The finish was nowhere near as good either.
Jenkinson

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:46 am

Welcome aboard, Jenkinson. Do we see you in L'Île Noire or Hurley's now and then?
Deactivated Member

Postby Jenkinson » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:56 pm

Thanks. Been to Ile Noire once and was very impressed. 150 or so? I've also been to Hurleys, but that was before my interest in SMW was sparked. Do they have a nice selection?

Actually most of my samplings have taken place at Else's (~40 choices) which is right near my friend's place.

Are you a regular visitor to Montreal?
Jenkinson

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:58 pm

I get to town several times a year, usually in the winter and spring. I should have a good trip in March with plenty of free time--will try to pm you and Pascal ahead of time, and we'll have a little party at L'Île Noire or somewhere.

Hurley's has a nice little selection, thirty or forty, but they hide it pretty well (victim of the rambling nature of the architecture). I think it's a little pricey, as well. I usually hang there for the beer (St-Ambroise Pale), the music, and the friendly bartenders.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder