Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

LOOKING FOR THE ULTIMATE CIGAR/WHISKY COMBO

All your whisky related questions answered here.

LOOKING FOR THE ULTIMATE CIGAR/WHISKY COMBO

Postby Flyerman » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:16 pm

i'm searching for the best whisky/cigar combination, and it looks like this would be the place to come to for help. i have some favorites, like a good Ashton VSG, or Padron 1926, both go very well with a glass of Dalmore, or Glennfidich. would any of the more experienced connioseurs have some better advice?
Flyerman

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:53 am

The ones that i roll go well with everything, but then again i don't use tobacco. :wink:
To bad you live in Texas. In Canada we don't mind people buying Cuban cigars or others either, just won't let you smoke any inside a public place. Hope you have a good supply of scotch down there.
Welcome to the forum, Flyerman.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:05 am

Cigars, to me, are akin to bagpipes: better from a distance.

Truthfully, I prefer bagpipes over cigars - so the greater the distance with a cigar - the better. Smoke - other than that bestowed by the distilleries/malters efforts - just ruins whisky.

If you must - pick your favourite cigar and enhance it with the cheapest whisky you can find... and keep it as far from my glass as you can.

So - that being said - welcome to the forum - there's plenty of room for other opinions here... I'm just glad you're in Texas - where cigars with Whisky - and comments about underaged girls belong...

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Flyerman » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:00 am

well, dave, my mother always taught me to not say anything at all if it's not nice, complimentary, or constructive. my father, on the other hand, taught me to defend myself. that being said.......

i expect nothing less from someone who lives in the 51st state. what i asked for was a good cigar/whisky combination, not smart remarks about how bad cigars are, which they may or may not be, depending on your opinion, or what your opinion of bagpipes are, which is completely irrelevant to the question. fine cigars are enjoyed with great whiskies the world over, not just in little ol' Texas. but don't worry, my cigar and your whisy glass will never be in the same time zone, let alone the same room, seeing as how you have no tolerance for us fine cigar connoisseurs, nor have you any sense of humor, apparantly. now, your comments notwithstanding, i would like this thread to continue on with it's intended purpose. thanks, and happy smoking.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT!
Flyerman

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:23 am

I've never had clothes smell like bagpipes the day after. And the hearing usually comes back.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:26 am

Flyerman wrote:i expect nothing less from someone who lives in the 51st state.

Canada is the country were you get most of your refined culture and sports from like hockey basketball and baseball just to name a few and we shall never be a part of a nation of warmongering oil-gubbing fatheads!
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:43 am

Let us renew our commitment to refrain from venturing into the political here.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:19 am

Welcome to the forum, Flyerman,

I wouldn't consider myself an experienced connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination, but the Partagas Serie P (Habana) I enjoyed over the weekend with Ardbeg 10 was nice. The Serie P is not as oily as past pyramides by Partagas, and the lighter draw would have matched better with something a little lighter and sweeter, like a Dalwhinnie 15 or any Highland Park. When I can't get Partagas, I usually prefer Punch. Msanime, another member of the forum, can give you much better recommendations on whisky-cigar combos than I can. Any thoughts on that, Matt?

As for individual comments, we don't always agree on the forum -- what would be the point of that? -- but you can safely assume that when members post they do so with good intentions and with tongue planted firmly in cheek; you need not take things too personally.

I would second Lawrence's request that we try to keep politics out of the forum.

Cheers,

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:56 am

Ya... well Bush started it... or was that Martin???

Back to Flyerman's point: first, let me apologize for my insensitive tirade against Cigars (and bagpipes)... and for any additional political heat thrown on the fire.

My point was not directly against cigars (or Flyerman... or Texas). I would agree that there are some fine cigars and as Lord P pointed out - Canada is free to explore some of the finest (unlike the US).

My point was that I find it at odds to pair whisky and cigars - if one is truly hoping to taste the whisky. (No foul if the whisky is sacrificially swallowed to augment the cigar experience.)

At the same time (and here's where I'll take some additional heat) I also find whisky at odds with food. It doesn't work - for me, so I choose to separate the two. If it works for you - great.

It may just be the years away from a smoke-filled environment but I guess I could be considered hyper-sensitive to smoke (Vancouver banned smoking in public places, restaurants and bars years ago - and now when I travel to places that still allow smoking it hits me like a ton of bricks). I can now enjoy a meal or a whisky in a restaurant or bar without someone else's pleasure impacting/negating mine (or the added expense of a drycleaning bill).

That being said - smoke 'em if ya got 'em boys... just far away... and downwind. :wink:

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:06 am

The Auchentoshan Three Wood was chosen by some expert, experts or other as the best malt to have with a cigar. I don't know if it is or not, though. The general concensus is, I think, that a peat monster does not go with cigars.

Personally, I have no objection to anyone discussing anything on this board. But I don't think anyone should be aggressive.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:22 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Let us renew our commitment to refrain from venturing into the political here.

Hear hear.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Nock » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:41 am

Flyerman

I am far from an experienced connoisseur of either cigars or scotch. However, my enjoyment of cigars led me to scotch (after all you need something to drink with a cigar). There is nothing I enjoy more then a nice cigar, a fine single malt, and a game of cards with my old university buddies (it still happens now and again).

Sad to say I only smoke cigars on rare occasions these days (my taste got too expensive for my pocketbook). So when I do I try and make it count. Though, I have yet to try my favorite cigar (Cohiba Siglo III) with one of my favorite single malts (Laphroaig 10yo CS or Ardbeg 10yo).

For me I like a big, robust, and heavy cigar (which is why I like Cuban cigars). Oddly enough when I really got into single malts my taste tended toward the same end of the scale (robust and full bodied). Sadly I was never into both at the same time. :? My main advice to you is pair like with like. I use to drink Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish with a Montecristo No. 1 or 2. In hindsight the Montecristo would overpower the Glenmorangie.

I had a really great paring about two years ago. I believe it was a Highland Park 12yo with a Padron 1964 Anniv. Torpedo. There was also a bottle of Macallan 12yo, and the Macallan Cask Strength on hand. But I remember really falling in love with the Highland Park that night. I believe I also smoked a Purtagas (Lusitania or Lustanx?) but the night went to the Padron and the Highland Park.

I say start with what you know you like and move out from there. Before I was into scotch I drank Vintage Port with my cigars (very expensive habit). I felt like the thick sweetness of the port balanced the heavy Cubans I liked. When I switched over to scotch I gravitated toward the sweeter side (Macallan, Aberlour, and Glenfarclas). These days I like the heavy peated side of the spectrum. I am curious to see (one of these days) how heavy peat goes with a Cohiba, a Hoyo De Monterry or a Montecristo. I guess I will need to make another trip up to Canada soon. 8)

These days I never smoke alone, and I try not to drink alone (one has to learn not to set the bar too high) :wink:

Not sure if that was helpful or not

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Dan G » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:12 pm

I have to agree with Dave on not understanding how a cigar can enhance any taste. The few times I've smoked any tobacco, it just ruined my sense of taste.

However, I disagree with the part about food and whisky. Nothing better in a good restaurant than trying to match a single malt with a dessert: an Islay with something heavy on chocolate, a Balvenie with something sweet like creme caramel (did that one last night, to great effect).
Dan G

Postby Tom » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:54 pm

Since you mentioned ashton, I take it you like dominican republic cigars. As do I by the way. One golden tip: pair it with sherry matured whisky. As dominican cigars tend to be smooth a refill sherry or a FF sherry cask but not too high in alcohol go very very well. If you go cuban with their heavy spices a FF sherry whisky on cask strength is a superb match. I prefer a Griffins longfiller with a smooth sherried dram like Macallan 18, Dalmore, Old Pulteney and Glenfarclas 15.
However the ultimate enjoyment in cigar/whisky for me comes in the way of a bigg bad Parthagas alongside the Macallan 10 Cask Strength, or glenfarclas 105, though I deffinatly prefer the Mac.

Dont be intimidated by the ones here that are too much in touch with their redneck side.
A year ago they were gonna hang you if you mentioned ice and malt. Now there are various companies marketing whisky specifically designed to drink with ice.
Nowadays you can get away with mentioning you have your dram on the rocks here, So why the hell would cigars and whisky be any different? The two are a match made in heaven. Just never for tasting purposes offcourse, but for enjoyment, only few things come even close to that.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:20 pm

Dan G wrote: Nothing better in a good restaurant than trying to match a single malt with a dessert: an Islay with something heavy on chocolate, a Balvenie with something sweet like creme caramel (did that one last night, to great effect).

Dan - I'm a huge fan of dessert made with whisky... a favourite being "Lagavulin Bread Pudding"... a bread pudding a with a butter-cream-Lagavulin sauce that is heaven on earth... and I love to pair wine with food... but I'd especially hate to pay bar-premium prices for a whisky and not be able to taste it if my taste buds were coated in sugar. Again, just my opinion.

I find that whisky following a sweet-sugary treat tends to shift towards bitter.

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:30 pm

...Which raises the eternal question when pairing anything with anything: Like with like, or contrasting/complementary flavors? Either can work. I mentioned a couple weeks back that I had Balvenie 15 with vanilla ice cream and orange sherbet, expecting the similar flavors to cancel each other out. They did, and yet they didn't. The character of the malt certainly changed, but the combination worked.

I'm sure it's the same with cigars, although I'll never find out--you can match similar flavors, or contrasting ones.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:08 am

Damn you, WestVanDave, I'll be distracted all night now. I shake my fist in anger -- or is it hunger?

I may have to bribe you for a recipe in Victoria.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Flyerman » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:28 am

wow!! thanks to all of the fine whisky imbibers of the forum!! (did i spell that correctly?) first off, let me say one thing to dave.......i may have come across a little too aggressive, and if i offended you, i apologize. i was born and bred a Buckeye, but i have come to adopt the Lone Star state as my new home, thanks largely in part to my wife. so i ask you to forgive me if i acted a bit too harshly or responded too abruptly.

as for all the great advice from my fellow whisky brethren, i say thank you. i am getting into educating myself on the finer points of whisky, and whisky tasting/history. trying to make it equal to my beer/homebrewing knowledge.

looking forward to the next SMWS tasting in dallas next year!

thanks, all.........and a MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!!!!
Flyerman

Postby Aidan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:25 am

Here's the discussion on this before re the Auchentoshan and cigars, Flyerman.

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2072
Aidan

Postby Dan G » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:59 pm

Flyerman - search the archives because I'm pretty sure there is another cigar thread already where you might get some recommendations.

And can I suggest that you get rid of that signature at the end of your posts. Maybe you think it's funny, but there's really nothing funny about pedophelia.
Dan G

Postby Lawrence » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:02 pm

And can I suggest that you get rid of that signature at the end of your posts. Maybe you think it's funny, but there's really nothing funny about pedophelia.

I agree.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Matt2 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:56 pm

Dan G wrote:And can I suggest that you get rid of that signature at the end of your posts. Maybe you think it's funny, but there's really nothing funny about pedophelia.

I agree ...
Matt2

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:38 pm

Matt Page wrote:
Dan G wrote:And can I suggest that you get rid of that signature at the end of your posts. Maybe you think it's funny, but there's really nothing funny about pedophelia.

I agree ...

I, also, wholeheartedly agree.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:49 pm

jimidrammer wrote:
Matt Page wrote:

I agree ...

I, also, wholeheartedly agree.

Free speech is guaranteed in the constitution.
Who knows? Maybe there aren't any 12yo virgins in Texas.
Was that coke in a can or on a mirror?
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Flyerman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:36 am

ok......i have been away for a few days due to work, and i feel i must clarify a thing or two. first of all, i whole-heartedly apologize to anyone who is, was, or may be offended by certain words put together in a specific arrangement. it was not my intention to offend anyone. far from it. while i was brought up to believe a person's true hero should be that person himself, there are a few people in this world whom i truly admire, mostly for their convictions. two of them being Rush Limbaugh and Denis Leary. Rush, for demonstrating absurdity by being absurd, and Denis for his brash, no-holds-barred attack on the politically correct. while i completely agree that there is nothing at all funny about pedophilia, i believe that our society should not be so tolerant of anything that we tolerate intollerance. that little sentence is merely an eye-catcher, an attention getter. it may be a bit misplaced, but it is there for a reason. nothing in my life has ever been boring, or a reason to sit back and rest on my laurels. it's not an attention getter for me, i have never crazed over the limelight. it's just an example of how far i think we have to go to get past the non-stop barrage of electronic noise and stop and confuse people so much that they have to take notice of what you are saying. in an age of attention deficit disorders, disorders for this, that, and anything under the sun, (which personally, i don't feel really exist) i feel the need to grab a person's attention so that they cannot help but pay attention to each and every sylable that is being said or printed, they feel compelled to absorb all they can from what i, or someone else, may be saying. that is truly and honestly all i meant by that. i plan on raising children of my own, with my beautiful wife, and God willing, one of them will be a girl. so believe me, i don't feel there is anything at all funny about under-age relations. i hope that the reader, being a connoisseur of whisky, and possibly more finer things in life, will be educated enough to recognize that i am speaking from my heart, and hopefully understand from whence i come. i also hope you will respect my God-given right to free speech. that being said.....sorry for the rant, i tend to get carried away sometimes...........let's all drink a toast to all the brave men and women who are overseas in Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Germany, and other worldly parts, away from their families this Christmas season. my glass is raised.......
Flyerman

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:58 am

Flyerman, no one thinks you had ill intent, or are a pedophile, or meant anything other than an absurd lighthearted joke. It fell flat, that's all. There are jokes you can make amongst friends, but not in a wider forum. Four people (make it five) have told you that this wasn't an appropriate place for that kind of joke. A single utterance might slide by (and far worse has), but a signature is a constantly flying banner. I might well have laughed if a friend had said that to me in the pub; reading it repeatedly made me squirm. I personally would prefer not to censor you, but I would hope that you would have consideration for others, in recognition of their discomfort.

Now let's all forget about this and talk about whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:27 am

Yes, let's talk about whisky and, in this case, cigars. I was quite enjoying the thread and have been eyeing my last Partagas will ill-intent for about an hour. It is time for decisive action with the help of Jimmy Russell and the Rare Breed.

Less talk, more monkey!
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:35 am

Mr. T - you do have a way with words... and I agree with your comments to our friend from Texas: no one thinks you had ill intent, or are a pedophile, or meant anything other than an absurd lighthearted joke. At least I hope not...

Back to cigars it is - and in the words of a Canadian funny guy (Mike Myers): "Talk amongst yourselves"...

More Monkey - less Bad...

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Flyerman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:02 pm

well well seeing as how it is the Christmas season, and i have been feeling very cheerful.....key word being HAD.....i went to my profile to change my signature to a more fitting one, and what did i find? proof that there is censorship on this forum. shameful! and after i had so willingly and without mallice offered an explanation, as well as a hopeful friendly toast to our troops overseas, all of whom are fighting for our rights, amoung them the right to peacably assemble, to practice our own chosen religion as we see fit, to carry a gun if and when we want to, and even that much trampled on right......THE RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH. thank you very much.......this is just another spoke in the wheel of trampling freedoms. free speech doesn't mean to speak only nice, kind and un-offensive words, but any words you choose. YES, VIRGINIA, THERE IS CENSORSHIP! i hope the words "Merry Christmas" aren't too offensive for anyone here.
Flyerman

Postby Lawrence » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:27 pm

Well, you really have a unique eye catching signature now! In any case let's carry on talking about whisky and let by gones be by gones.

Merry Christmas,

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby ScotchBlog » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:46 am

Flyerman wrote:...proof that there is censorship on this forum. shameful! and after i had so willingly and without mallice offered an explanation, as well as a hopeful friendly toast to our troops overseas, all of whom are fighting for our rights, amoung them the right to peacably assemble, to practice our own chosen religion as we see fit, to carry a gun if and when we want to, and even that much trampled on right......THE RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH. thank you very much.......this is just another spoke in the wheel of trampling freedoms. free speech doesn't mean to speak only nice, kind and un-offensive words, but any words you choose. YES, VIRGINIA, THERE IS CENSORSHIP! i hope the words "Merry Christmas" aren't too offensive for anyone here.

I should point out that a. This forum is hosted in the UK - so talking about the US constitution and the Bill of Rights just doesn't mean much here. (and actually comes across as pretty arrogant); b. We are all the guests of Whisky Magazine. So if they find something offensive, I totally agree with their right to censor (I didn't see the signature, so can't comment); c. I was a little appalled to find the childish back and forth of "my country is better than your country. It simply reinforces the "Ugly American" perception that I am unfortunately saddled with in my travels around the world (Canada - you didn't show much better in this). More importantly - this is supposed to be a forum for adults (considering the topic matter) - nothing sounded very adult (or more appropriately "mature") in the exchange; d this forum is read by people across the world, so let's be sensitive to different world-views.

This isn't meant to start any sort of war here, but this is a nice place for people to talk whisky - not see whose apparatus is bigger...
ScotchBlog
Bronze Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:21 am

And now, back to business.

On deck this evening I have an Arturo Fuente Corona Imperial which I hope goes well with the Redbreast on the shelf. At first glance this does not look like a match made in heaven, and if my instincts are correct I'll switch to the Elijah Craig 12. It seems to go well with everything, including breakfast.

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:46 am

I'm not sure if anyone is obliged to provide a forum for free speech, under the Bill of Rights. Although I don't know.

Anyway, happy Christmas everyone.
Aidan

Postby Iain » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:34 am

Well done Matt.

Happy Christmas.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:15 pm

What a smashing thread!

I must confess never to have smoked anything (no, honestly), but the idea of relaxing with a fine cigar has always rather appealed to me.

However, I'm from the 'camp' that believes in enjoying malt unadulterated - either by cigars, food, water, coke or anything else. Just my opinion of course. Each to there own.
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder