Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

JWBlue and its Appeal

General chat and talk about whisky.

JWBlue and its Appeal

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:33 am

i guy i work with overheard myself and another whisky guy talking about whisky. In joining our discussion (and he is a nice guy) he mentioned that he was going to a bachelor party composed of six guys, all of whom were bringing a bottle of Blue, and then he proudly showed us his bottle, and extolled its virtues. We asked him about other whiskies and it was apparent that he wasnt experienced at all, not that theer is anything wrong with that of course.

I wonder how much of their marketing is for this type of person, who has a little money, and wants people to either a) think he is a connoisseur of b) wants to show off a bit. i have met a few people in the last few months who profess to love whisky and more than a couple said how much they love Blue. has anyone else seen this or have any thoughts??

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Re: JWBlue and its Appeal

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:18 am

patrick dicaprio wrote:I wonder how much of their marketing is for this type of person, who has a little money, and wants people to either a) think he is a connoisseur of b) wants to show off a bit.

Pat

I'm guessing 100%... it seems to be working for them - and you won't catch me wasting my money on JW Blue...

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:26 am

Well, I've never tasted JW Blue, since a bottle of it costs almost twice as much as I'm willing to pay for any whisky. $190 for a bottle?! :shock: As they say in New York, fahgedaboudit!

Oh well, I guess there's a whisky for everyone...
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:05 pm

Marketing? Cashe a la Macallan?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:34 pm

I went to a JW Blue tasting event once...we got a small glass of it. Not bad, but nothing outstanding to recommend it...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:57 am

Just think of all the truly great whisky you could otherwise purchase with your hard-earned shillings. The JW Gold is a better dram, in my view, and costs 1/3 as much.

Friends don't let friends buy Blue Label.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:41 pm

I received a small bottle of JW Blue as a Christmas gift...tried it with the gift-giver last night. It's nice and light, and very good, but I still can't justify the price tag...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:59 pm

I bought the JW collection 18 months ago - blue, black green and gold and got my family and a couple of friends to try them blind.

If my memory serves me, it was something like:

1 Gold
2= Black and Blue
4 Green

Personally I marginally preferred the blue (but I had seen the label !). I would not pay over £20 for a bottle though. You could get a bottle of OB 25yo Port Ellen for the retail price here !!

Merry Xmas all BTW.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:58 am

It is part of the general attempt to introduce whisky to a newer audience - and fair play. We have a romantic notion of whisky but have to remember it is a massive industry which needs customers to survive.
I've not tried blue yet but have tried green and found it to be a lesser dram than the Black. The Gold was also A bit hyped up IMHO and disappointing in the glass.
Deactivated Member

Postby ScotchBlog » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:40 am

I got to try Blue courtesy of my Diageo connection (surprisingly I have a Diageo connection despite how tough I tend to be on on them).

Nothing special. But it is not marketed towards people like us - it's marketed towards people with money and something to prove...

Today's The Scotch Blog Story is about "The Blue Label Book" a stupid marketing stunt to promote JW Blue.

http://www.thescotchblog.com/2005/12/di ... tes_m.html
ScotchBlog
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:26 am

And it's a good story, too, Kevin...

To me, JW Blue is just like the "expensive whisky stories" thread elsewhere in the forum. It gives people with either too much money or a sense of upward mobility a way to show off their success (or desire to be seen as successful). It's not a bad whisky by any means, but one could put Loch Dhu in a different bottle, call it "black gold" and slap a $175 price tag on it with a multi-million dollar marketing campaign aimed at the upper crust, and they'd buy it to be seen as "successful".

Then again, maybe Loch Dhu isn't the best example to use... ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby devotiondoubt » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:07 pm

I had some Blue last night. Although the price tag is certainly unjustified, I found it to be quite good. Caramel, peat, and salt were the most prominent qualities. It was nice and smooth. I, personally, would never buy a blended scotch for that price but if someone else is pouring I certainly would never turn my nose up at it.
devotiondoubt

Postby Frodo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:46 am

I entirely agree! Good quality whisky at a vastly inflated price point!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby old rarity » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:06 pm

It has a good flavour and in particular a keynote of "old roses" or "old books" which comes from the very old whiskeys in there (some upwards of 60 years old I believe). It is the age of the oldest whiskies that spikes the price, plus the luxurious packaging I think. My issue with Blue is the grain whiskey element is quite noticeable. I think a luxury blend should have (or can have) some grain whisky but not too much and what there is shouldn't obtrude. I'd like to try Blue with, say, the grain whisky component reduced by about half. That way it would be heavier in body and more distinctive I think.

From the point of view of value, I prefer Johnnie Walker Gold Label: that has a heavier, more malty body and some of the old books taste too although not as much. Gold is a really good blend, I don't know of any that is better (some of the older Cutty's, maybe).

Gary
old rarity

Blue and Overpriced Whisky

Postby msanime » Wed May 03, 2006 6:44 pm

On a similar note, there are a lot of liquor stores in my area (upscale to hole in the walls) that charge twice as much, if not more, for their whiskies. I often wonder who would pay these prices? Anyone who knows whisky would know that these prices are inflated beyond reason, and would know where to buy whisky at the market price. Why pay 85 bucks for a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 year? It costs 40 bucks. And if you didn't know whisky, then the only reason to buy an expensive, somewhat obscure, single-malt would be as a gift and I don't think that these liquors stores could justify the stock and selection they have if their primary customers where the occasional gift-giver?

I have a very good local spirts and wine shop and JW BLUE goes for 160. At these liquor stores I have seen it for 225. IN fact, the other day I was buying beer at local liquor store and these 3 older men where very seriously contemplating and ultimately buying a bottle of JW blue for that price. I was very tempted to point out that not only were they being overcharged by an outrageuos margin, but that even at 160 bucks it is hardly worth it. Personally, I enjoyed the green very much the one time I have had it. The blue was almost as good at 3 times the price. Never had gold. I would take a Dewar's over the JW Red or Black anytime.
msanime

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 03, 2006 8:54 pm

I also haven't tried the blue, but whilst it remains at such an unrealistically high price I shall remain ignorant regarding any virtues it may have.

As many have already said, there are some very fine drams available for a similar or lesser price.

WH
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder