Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balvenie 12yo DW Canadian style?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Balvenie 12yo DW Canadian style?

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:29 am

Contemplating my next whisky purchase, considering buying
another Balvenie and i noticed that the rave reviews on the12yo Double Wood were for a 43% abv.. The bottling available here is at 40% abv. and thinking back to the last bottle of the 12yo DW it didn't strike me as being all that wonderfull, sure it was lovely but just above average. So now i'm wondering if we in Canada are getting stiffed by getting a watered-down version of the good
stuff, or has the OB abv. changed since the review was written?
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:04 pm

It used to be 43% here! I don't know when it switched but that is unfortunately. We get stiffed with 40% Laphroaig 10yo too, but we were lucky enough to get 43% Ardbeg 17yo at least.

Cask strength bottlings abound right now but most seem to fetch a large premium.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:20 pm

All the Balvenies I have or have had are 43% (at least). All bought in the US, except the little gift box (UK) and a duty-free bottle (I forget from where--possibly Iceland). The possibility that they are watering the stuff down just for you Canucks is dismaying. The reduction of alcohol by less than 7% cannot mean a price saving of as much as 5%, I would think, and I can hardly believe it's worth the extra effort.

Maybe they think you can't handle your drink up there!
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:36 pm

Even The Balvenie cask strength is pretty watery! 47.8%, woohoo! Compare that to Cragganmore at 60.1% and most others which, unless they're 30+ years old with too many Angels taking a nip are generally over 50%.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:22 pm

I've come to the conclusion that the 15 is not in fact cask strength. There is nothing on the label that says it is, and every bottle I've had is exactly 47.8%. They never said it was; we just jumped to that conclusion. A mighty fine dram, in any case.
Deactivated Member

Postby PeatPirate » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:12 am

Hi all,

Mr. T. wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that the 15 is not in fact cask strength

Pretty much the same as with the Glenfarclas 105 proof. It's also referred to as CS. But every botlle is exactly 60% ABV. A bit strange for a CS bottling. But then again, perhaps they sample their casks every day to bottle it at the right moment (when it's exactly 60 % :wink:

Greetz,

A merry christmas and a very healthy 2006 for you all.

PeatPirate
Last edited by PeatPirate on Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeatPirate

Postby Lawrence » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:29 am

perhaps they sample their casks every day to bottle it at the right moment (when it's exactly 60 %)

Curious at it seems I was told exactly that at a recent tasting, that Glenfarclas wait until it the 105 reaches 60% and then bottle it.

I really have a hard time believing this though. Actually I have an easier time NOT believing it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:12 am

In the case of Glenfarclas, it's probably easier for them to do the minor amount of tweaking to get to 60% than it would be to deal with variable strengths on the label and legally (tax). It's just easier if a continually-available expression doesn't jump all over the place. By contrast, each batch of a'bunadh is a new release. Balvenie 15's label always changes, with cask #, etc, so that's not an issue, but tax still is, and as far as every wholesaler in the world is concerned (LCBO, etc), it's a single product with a single catalog number. I think probably it was never intended to be cask strength, just have a little more body and kick, and maybe be above the 46% threshold. Why 47.8%, precisely, who knows?
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:12 am

105 is a vatting so they _could_ vatt different casks to always get near 60% and remember that the labeling rules allow you to be off by a certain amount so take all the 57.8945566% printings with a few grains of Islay sea salt.

Balvenie says "single barrel" not "single cask". I don't know if that is a significant difference but it sounds like no vatting occurs. Thus one must believe it is watered down. That said, previous releases WERE over 50% ABV. Future ones might change a bit.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:39 am

hpulley wrote:Balvenie says "single barrel" not "single cask". I don't know if that is a significant difference but it sounds like no vatting occurs. Thus one must believe it is watered down. That said, previous releases WERE over 50% ABV. Future ones might change a bit.

Harry

Read the label carefully top to bottom:
Single Malt distilled at
The BALVENIE Distillery Banffshire SCOTLAND
SINGLE BARREL (registered trade-mark symbol) :arrow: AHA!
MALT SCOTCH WHISKY
from a single cask
AGED 15 YEARS
BOTTLED BY HAND
bottling date 14.07.05 cask no. 1669
in cask date 22.0196 bottle no. 29
CERTIFIED BY THE BALVENIE DISTILLERY
(signature)
adress etc.
It does appear that the "SINGLE BARREL" is a trade name.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:01 am

Single barrel, single cask...it still does not say cask strength (or unchillfiltered, for that matter).
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:26 am

The little lable attached to a chord around the neck of the bottle states: In order to retain it's full character, this rare single malt whiskey has not been chill filtered.
The discriptor on the sde of the bottle label says that: Each bottle is one of a limited edition of no more than 350 hand numbered bottles. Each bottle is unique and unrepeatable.
This new bottle that i have is better than the last one and i am sooooo HAPPY. OH YEAH, BABY!!! :wink:
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!!
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby PeatPirate » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:57 am

Hi all,

105 is a vatting

Off course it is, and that seems the most logical explanation for a CS bottling at the same ABV for every batch. Good thinking Harry, thnx :wink:

Single barrel, single cask

This reminds me a bit of the pure malt issue (wasn't that Cardhu?) For sure we will have single butt, and single hogshead bottlings next year. So we will never forget that there are marketing girls and boys doing their things. At the time we get single bottle bottlings i'm gonna switch back to red wine :lol:

Bye all,

PP
PeatPirate

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder