Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Scott's Selection Glenlivet 1970

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Scott's Selection Glenlivet 1970

Postby voigtman » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:58 am

For 2 years now, I've been eyeing a bottle of Scott's Selection Glenlivet (distilled 1970, bottled 2003, 52.0% ABV, Port cask matured). Seems to be a typical price ($159.99 USD) near the upper limit I would ever pay for a bottle of anything, but I have no idea what it might taste like. Could be wonderful or could be so-so. I admit to liking an early release of the Glenmorangie 12 YO Port finish, though later releases were not to my liking. And the Balvenie 21 Port finish was, to me, not as enjoyable as the 15 YO (which, if I remember right, used to be at 50.4% ABV rather than the current lower proof, which is still quite nice: had 2 drams of it on Christmas).

So, anyone try this Scott's Selection Glenlivet and have an opinion on it? For the money, I could pick up a few others from among these possibilities: Bowmore 17 ($40), Bowmore Darkest ($30), new Bowmore 16, 1989 ($70), Scapa 14 ($35), Laphroaig 10 CS, 55.4% ($50), Jura Superstition ($30), Balvenie 15 ($45), Talisker 175th Anniversary ($100), and on and on. Thanks! Slainte, Ed V.
voigtman

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:55 am

Where do you see Balvenie 15 for $45, Ed? I think it's somewhere around $53 at Table & Vine.

I don't like any Bowmores, so I can't guide you there. The Scapa is very pleasantly fruity, but very light. I found it watery at first, but got to quite like it. I've been eying the Laphroaig cs myself--it's been quite a while since I had one. I thought Superstion was unimpressive, but some here have commented favorably on it, and my buddy Bobby in Holyoke loves it. And I'd love to get my mitts on one of those Taliskers, but doubt I will for that price. The 18 is really good and more affordable.

Can't help you with the Glenlivet. Scott's seems to have a very good reputation. But if you're wary of port finishes, maybe you'd be better to lay off. I liked the Balvenie one. But the Scott's appears to be matured entirely in the port wood, no? Might be very strongly ported, unless it's a second or third fill. (Hey, we can say "sherried", why not "ported"?)
Deactivated Member

Thanks!

Postby voigtman » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:19 am

Mr. T, thanks for the helpful intel and congrats on post number 2500 exactly one year from your start date here! I think you are probably right about the Scott's Glenlivet: 32 years in a Port pipe could be serious influence and I'm not sure that would be a reasonable gamble given all the alternative purchases. The Balvenie 15 is on sale in NH now for $45. A number of the other prices are NH prices as well. I have not been up there for a few months now, and wouldn't normally waste the gasoline just for one bottle, but that Balvenie 15 I had on Christmas was every bit as good as I remember it. Shows just how good an unadorned malt can be. But I would swear it used to be 50.4% or maybe 50.5%. I wonder if anyone kept an empty (or label) from about 5 years ago?
I agree about the Talisker 18 and doubt the 175th Anniversary bottling can top the 18 YO, but I wonder if anyone here has compared them yet? I was not impressed with a previous Distiller's Edition DM Talisker, so I think I will pass on the one available locally (T & C). One last item: that Caol Ila 25 ($204 at T & C) is still beckoning me, and it has gotten good reviews, but the price gives me serious pause. At least I stood up the CI 25 bottles that were on their sides. Slainte, Ed V.
voigtman

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:21 am

Which is more than they'll do for you!

Agree with you re Balvenie 15--folks here know that this is one of my great favorites. And I don't have a bottle of it around right now! I need to rectify that. I don't know about the 50.5%, but that does ring a bell. Well, it's a fine dram at 47.8%.

If you're up in NH, see if they have any Bruichladdich Full Strength left. I liked that a lot. I got it up there for $75, which I think was a sale price--probably usually about $80, if there is any.

You got my 2500th, Ed--and it was actually about whisky!
Deactivated Member

Re: Scott's Selection Glenlivet 1970

Postby irit » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi,

I bought a bottle of that very Scotch for my husband's birthday a couple of years ago. If you like Glenlivet, you will LOVE this one. It is darker and more complex than the 18yo or Nadurra, sweet and very smooth. I also thought the price was a bit high for a bottle of anything, but this particular selection is well worth it. In fact, I am looking for another bottle now and can't seem to find one...

Hope that helps,
Irit
irit

Postby Wave » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:06 pm

irit wrote:Hi,

I bought a bottle of that very Scotch for my husband's birthday a couple of years ago. If you like Glenlivet, you will LOVE this one. It is darker and more complex than the 18yo or Nadurra, sweet and very smooth. I also thought the price was a bit high for a bottle of anything, but this particular selection is well worth it. In fact, I am looking for another bottle now and can't seem to find one...

Hope that helps,
Irit

Scott's Selection Glenlivet 1970-33yr Old $139.99 at Binny's
A great price for any 30+ year old whisky, much less a Glenlivet!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:22 pm

I did have this very Glenlivet back in October. It is a very good Glenlivet although I like it's cousin, Scott's 1969 54.7%, a little bit more. Amongst the best Glenlivets I've had the pleasure of dramming.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Thanks!

Postby Ganga » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 pm

voigtman wrote:I agree about the Talisker 18 and doubt the 175th Anniversary bottling can top the 18 YO, but I wonder if anyone here has compared them yet? I was not impressed with a previous Distiller's Edition DM Talisker, so I think I will pass on the one available locally (T & C).

Why yes, there has been some direct comparisons of the Talikser lines. Please see here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6215 :lol:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby irit » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:02 am

[quote="Wave"]

Scott's Selection Glenlivet 1970-33yr Old $139.99 at [url=http://www.binnys.com/index.cfm]Binny's[/url]
A great price for any 30+ year old whisky, much less a Glenlivet!

[i]Cheers![/i][/quote]

Thanks! Going to purchase one shortly...

Irit
irit

Postby scotch4ever » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:01 am

If I were buying a car I could put value in an old vintage. A vintage car has a timeless style, look, and feel that is unique to is brand, make, and year. I do not find the same enjoyment for the old whisky. In my opinion it's just older and not better. There is a good chance its exceeded its shelf life in the cask causing it to take on more negatives than positives. I would rather spend $130 on a good 10 to 15yr than a potentially worn out 30yr. Maybe, I am being a bit daft :roll:

I recall some years ago I had a friend from the service over to watch the steelers play. He always bragged about his 25 yr MacAllan, so I filled an empty bottle of 25yr (got it from a bar) with the 10yr. He made no comment on it being different, however, he did make many statements about the nose and taste of an older whisky.

I will not spend top dollar for old news ( i will also never refuse a glass on the house), however, I will spend a bit for a nice 1969 shelby gt convertible.
scotch4ever

Postby mikeymad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:57 am

Well I guess that we could all have fun pulling the wool over the inexperienced drinkers eyes.

Ganga and I had a bartender try to trick us without us knowing, by pouring the Macallan 25yo, instead of the new Macallan 18yo.

We tried it, and looked at each other with a smile and confused look on our faces. And we were like 'wow, this is the best 18yo we have ever tried'. We are both familiar with the 25yo and the 18yo. And it was easily to tell that this was a higher quality beverage.

So giving your friend a blind tasting of a 10yo and a 25yo would be more telling than tricking him into thinking he is having a 25yo. But that is up to you..

Enjoy your beverages......

Now were is my Mortlach 50yo.....?//?

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder